Thai curry vs. Indian curry

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Thai curry vs. Indian curry

Post by kendo »

hhfarang wrote:Thai green curry chicken is one of my favorite dishes taste wise, but after eating it, I have to run to the loo several times within the next 2 hours every time. The first time that happened I thought it was food poisoning, but I now know it happens whenever I eat green curry, no matter where it comes from.

Any idea of what ingredient may cause this? It only happens with the green curry here, none of the other curries or now other dish so far.

I have heard this before maybe you are Allergic to Egg Plant Thai Aubergine just a thought.

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

I'm in two different ball parks for me, I like Indian curries with pulses or potatoes and not to much meat but also lots of sauce splashed all over a plate of rice with an extra crispy garlic Nan bread.

Love Thai curries but the mrs serves them up in a smallish bowl with a plate of rice so big could last me a week, if I have to much food in front of me it puts me off to some degree.

Kendo.

Siani I feel a new food thread coming on that might just tickle you're taste buds I will sleep on it and get creative.

Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

hhfarang wrote:Thai green curry chicken is one of my favorite dishes taste wise, but after eating it, I have to run to the loo several times within the next 2 hours every time. The first time that happened I thought it was food poisoning, but I now know it happens whenever I eat green curry, no matter where it comes from.

Any idea of what ingredient may cause this? It only happens with the green curry here, none of the other curries or now other dish so far.
I just did a bit of research on this...apparently it's the chillies :dance:
"Chilles cause 'intestinal rush', which means food is pushed through the gut faster than other food. Add in a lot of oil/fat, and that could be your problem. Its unlikely to be spices, which are mostly carbs. "

So they say... :P ...I tell Mr S it the "Stella Artois" he used to extinguish the fire that does it!!
kendo wrote:
Siani I feel a new food thread coming on that might just tickle you're taste buds I will sleep on it and get creative.

Great, look forward to it Kendo :) :cheers:
Rshome123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Rshome123 »

My main hobby is cooking BIR (British Indian Restaurant) curries, which I've been doing for a couple of years now. Also do the traditional Indian, to a lesser degree.

Travelling to Hua Hin in January, I'll be interested to locate any Indian eateries, although I'm going to eat Thai the majority of the time.

Any expats here miss the BIR?
richie22
Amateur
Amateur

Post by richie22 »

Dannie Boy wrote:With reference to Margaret's comment about Indian restaurants throwing whatever meat it is into the curry sauce, well this is an extract from a book called. "The Curry Secret -Indian Restaurant Cookery at Home" written by Kris Dhillon. It's a book full of interesting tips and techniques, but as the following extract explains,the heart of virtually all Indian curries is one sauce, which then gets modified to give you the distinct flavours:

Curry Sauce
This is the most closely guarded of all the secrets of restaurant cooking.
Once prepared, it has a very smooth texture and a pale golden colour. Taste it and it is pleasant with a subtle curry flavour. Every good restaurant has a large pan of the sauce always at hand, with the recipe varying only slightly from chef to chef. It forms the base of all the restaurant curries from the mild to the very hot and spicy. It will keep in a refrigerator for up to five days, although the best restaurants will prepare no more than three days' requirement in one go. Together with your spices, the prior preparation of the curry sauce, and whatever meat or fish you propose to use, a selection of dishes can be prepared in a matter of minutes.
You will see that the making of the curry sauce is in fact simple, with no special equipment required other than a blender. It is essential, though, that you follow strictly the instructions for blending and skimming as these are the two procedures that can make the difference between a good curry sauce and a poor one.
The quantities I have given are enough for six to eight persons. If you do not require so much you may halve the quantity of each ingredient, or alternatively, freeze the remainder of the finished sauce. I have included freezing instructions where applicable. Although Indian restaurants do not normally do this, it is a perfectly good way of taking advantage of your freezer at home.

I don't know why Kris Dillon is calling it curry sauce as it is the base gravy that makes the curry sauce an entirely different thing.I know this because I have just made 20 liters of the stuff for making curries tomorrow It may be easy for people who know what they doing.I have worked with many Indian chefs and nearly everyone of them has his own secret mix powder so they do vary greatly.The recipe he has given is a very basic and would not be that tasty.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

richie22 wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote:With reference to Margaret's comment about Indian restaurants throwing whatever meat it is into the curry sauce, well this is an extract from a book called. "The Curry Secret -Indian Restaurant Cookery at Home" written by Kris Dhillon. It's a book full of interesting tips and techniques, but as the following extract explains,the heart of virtually all Indian curries is one sauce, which then gets modified to give you the distinct flavours:

Curry Sauce
Once prepared, it has a very smooth texture and a pale golden colour. Taste it and it is pleasant with a subtle curry flavour. Every good restaurant has a large pan of the sauce always at hand, with the recipe varying only slightly from chef to chef. It forms the base of all the restaurant curries from the mild to the very hot and spicy. It will keep in a refrigerator for up to five days, although the best restaurants will prepare no more than three days' requirement in one go. Together with your spices, the prior preparation of the curry sauce, and whatever meat or fish you propose to use, a selection of dishes can be prepared in a matter of minutes.
You will see that the making of the curry sauce is in fact simple, with no special equipment required other than a blender. It is essential, though, that you follow strictly the instructions for blending and skimming as these are the two procedures that can make the difference between a good curry sauce and a poor one.
The quantities I have given are enough for six to eight persons. If you do not require so much you may halve the quantity of each ingredient, or alternatively, freeze the remainder of the finished sauce. I have included freezing instructions where applicable. Although Indian restaurants do not normally do this, it is a perfectly good way of taking advantage of your freezer at home.

I don't know why Kris Dillon is calling it curry sauce as it is the base gravy that makes the curry sauce an entirely different thing.I know this because I have just made 20 liters of the stuff for making curries tomorrow It may be easy for people who know what they doing.I have worked with many Indian chefs and nearly everyone of them has his own secret mix powder so they do vary greatly.The recipe he has given is a very basic and would not be that tasty.
You are indeed correct, and the above quote is just a small extract from the book I referred to - the sauce is used as the base in the huge variety of curries, which have many additional ingredients added to give the distinct taste that you're after.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

Dannie Boy wrote::

Curry Sauce
Once prepared, it has a very smooth texture and a pale golden colour. Taste it and it is pleasant with a subtle curry flavour. Every good restaurant has a large pan of the sauce always at hand, with the recipe varying only slightly from chef to chef. It forms the base of all the restaurant curries from the mild to the very hot and spicy. It will keep in a refrigerator for up to five days, although the best restaurants will prepare no more than three days' requirement in one go. .
I am going to try and get a copy of this book DB, sounds good. There are some for sale with eBay.
I wonder though whether most Indian restaurants only keep it for 3 days :o I would like to think so, but have my doubts. Maybe the very top ones, say in London do, but your local ones, well doubtful. Mr S says they have a constant pot bubbling away and just add to it when it gets low :oops: I hope not :P
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Siani I feel a new food fusion thread is going to be born as it wouldn't really fit here.

Give me a couple of hours to wake up from my night shift. :D

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Siani wrote:

Curry Sauce
Once prepared, it has a very smooth texture and a pale golden colour. Taste it and it is pleasant with a subtle curry flavour. Every good restaurant has a large pan of the sauce always at hand, with the recipe varying only slightly from chef to chef. It forms the base of all the restaurant curries from the mild to the very hot and spicy. It will keep in a refrigerator for up to five days, although the best restaurants will prepare no more than three days' requirement in one go. .
I am going to try and get a copy of this book DB, sounds good. There are some for sale with eBay.
I wonder though whether most Indian restaurants only keep it for 3 days :o I would like to think so, but have my doubts. Maybe the very top ones, say in London do, but your local ones, well doubtful. Mr S says they have a constant pot bubbling away and just add to it when it gets low :oops: I hope not :P
I've sent you a pm Siani
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Siani wrote:

Best eastern curries I've ever had were where I worked close to Petticoat Lane in London. All the warehouses and 'sweat shops' had a pot boiling in the corner and the curry was eaten using your fingers and naam bread. The curry liquid/paste was often well over a week old. Apparently it improves with maturity.

Always find a good curry is best after a night or two in the fridge anyway. Ideal for breakfast. After you've eaten your kippers first though :D
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

richard wrote:
Siani wrote:

Best eastern curries I've ever had were where I worked close to Petticoat Lane in London. All the warehouses and 'sweat shops' had a pot boiling in the corner and the curry was eaten using your fingers and naam bread. The curry liquid/paste was often well over a week old. Apparently it improves with maturity.

Always find a good curry is best after a night or two in the fridge anyway. Ideal for breakfast. After you've eaten your kippers first though :D
I only make an Indian curry about once a month, but when I do, I always make enough for two portions each and the one eaten the next day always tastes better than the fresh batch.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

Dannie Boy wrote:
Siani wrote:

Curry Sauce
I've sent you a pm Siani
DB thanks :) I have pm a message back to you.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

Dannie Boy wrote: I only make an Indian curry about once a month, but when I do, I always make enough for two portions each and the one eaten the next day always tastes better than the fresh batch.
I often freeze the leftovers, it freezes really well :)