christmas dinner

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
adie.
Novice
Novice

christmas dinner

Post by adie. »

hi

Can anyone recommend from past experiences a venue to get a good christmas dinner?

:cheers:
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

Craig at U-Turn said he did a traditional Canadian-style turkey dinner last year.
Chas
Banned
Banned

Thanksgiving/Xmas dinner

Post by Chas »

Not so sure about Xmas dinner but the Marriot Hua HIn does a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving buffet! I have gone to it for the last two years and for 750 baht it is an excellent treat!! Wouldn't miss it!

( This is from an American, of course. Not sure what qualifies as "good dinner" to those of you from the land of "bubble & squeak" and steak & kidney pie ( yuck!) but we all like turkey. . .right?? And traditional plum pudding is rather lovely for sweet.

Look for a Xmas buffet there ( I am sure they will have one) and you wont be disappointed.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Thanksgiving/Xmas dinner

Post by Guess »

Chas wrote:
( This is from an American, of course. Not sure what qualifies as "good dinner" to those of you from the land of "bubble & squeak" and steak & kidney pie ( yuck!) but we all like turkey. . .right?? And traditional plum pudding is rather lovely for sweet.

The English Christmas Dinner which is usually served at lunch time is one of the few meals that was imported from the USA to Britain. I would think a "good dinner" means the same in the UK as it does in North America.

I personally can not stand turkey, just give me a double portion of the plum pudding.

It must be worth checking out Crawford's. I do not know anything positive yet but I am sure they will do something for Christmas. I will spread the word and and persuade them to make an announcment.

As for thanksgiving I have not heard of anybody else other that waht has already been mentioned.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Being a quarter Norwegian, I'll settle for some smurbreu (sorry Vikings for the spelling) on the 24th.
As far as the 25th is concerned, I'd be surprised if any of the major hotels have availability. After all, they demand that their guests purchase the meal as part of the package.
And around 6,000 Baht pp. Take or leave your turkey, goose or whatever, you've paid for it already.
Yung

Post by Yung »

Being a quarter Norwegian, I'll settle for some smurbreu (sorry Vikings for the spelling) on the 24th.
As far as the 25th is concerned
Hm. Don't know where you got this from, it's definately not a Norwegian tradition (Sorry, but I feel I have to correct you on this). Smorbroed (buttered bread) is a Danish tradition (smoerrebroed in danish) but it is quite common to serve this as a brunch on the 25th, with marinated herring, smoked and/or marinated salmon, cold cuts, cheeses etc. On the 24th, its usually pork ribs, lambs ribs, small white sausages. Some people will have codfish. :roll:
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I'll stand corrected, Yung, but it was a tradition in my family, laid down ever since I was born by Farmor who was Norwegian. I believe her family followed it in Norway long before she moved as a teenager to Scotland. I'll check with my parents.
The dish in Norwegian is Smeubreu (although I've undoubtedly spelt that wrong. There are "letters" that I don't have on the keyboard).
We always had the herrings, salmon, other seafood - particularly prawns - and loads of meats on white, brown and rye bread. It used to take my mother the best part of a day to prepare and serve everything looking good.
Having said that, my meal on the 24th will come from a Danish establishment in town.
Can't wait.
Skol :cheers:
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

In Lucky Restaurant you can have a Norwegian chrismas dinner, ribs and
aquavit. Go there and sign up.

If you're interested but don't know the place, send me a pm.
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

lomuamart wrote:I'll stand corrected, Yung, but it was a tradition in my family, laid down ever since I was born by Farmor who was Norwegian. I believe her family followed it in Norway long before she moved as a teenager to Scotland. I'll check with my parents.
The dish in Norwegian is Smeubreu (although I've undoubtedly spelt that wrong. There are "letters" that I don't have on the keyboard).
We always had the herrings, salmon, other seafood - particularly prawns - and loads of meats on white, brown and rye bread. It used to take my mother the best part of a day to prepare and serve everything looking good.
Having said that, my meal on the 24th will come from a Danish establishment in town.
Can't wait.
Skol :cheers:
Shut up, you guys!!! :P
I'm salivating all over the keyboard!
Cheers! :cheers:
machersjohn

Post by machersjohn »

I was panicing a bit as i didn't see many places advertising Chrismas Dinner so i booked Crawfords Cha- Am some time ago. I know i won't be disappointed as i love there Sunday roast at 230 bt it's good value and my girls love it. The Christmas Dinner is 800bt which seems reasonable. They also have a great range of beers and whisky's and yes my beloved Port. Roll on Christmas Day.
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Re: Thanksgiving/Xmas dinner

Post by Jaime »

Guess wrote:The English Christmas Dinner which is usually served at lunch time is one of the few meals that was imported from the USA to Britain.
Khun Guess, I feel I must correct you slightly:

It is the inclusion of the turkey that is imported, not the Christmas dinner itself. Turkey with cranberry sauce on Christmas day is a 20th century, US inspired development of the traditional British Christmas goose dinner. Hence the traditional Christmas nursery rhyme:

"Christmas is coming
the goose is getting fat,
please put a penny in the old man's hat
if you haven't got a penny,
a ha'penny will do,
if you haven't got a ha'penny
then God bless you!"

My grandparents (both in their eighties) have told me that as unemployment swept Britain during the depression and goose became a more expensive luxury item, people would raise their own chickens in the back garden for Christmas dinner. Gradually cheap, imported turkeys from the US (soon intensively farmed in the UK) became the most economical way of providing a family size fowl for Christmas day.

:thumb:
tuktukmike
Guru
Guru

Post by tuktukmike »

Ken is doing a full christmas dinner at Crawfords Hua Hin.

I dare say he will announce all very soon.

Mike.
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

Went to Buffalo Bill's/Fisherman's Wharf last year & despite their power going out, it was excellent. Great food & good entertainment. Have booked up for this year as well! :cheers:
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
Ken
Deceased
Deceased

Crawfords Hua Hin Xmas Dinner

Post by Ken »

We are offering a Traditional 4 course Xmas Dinner (800 Baht) on the 25th. Sittings 1pm, 4 pm or 7 pm. Advance bookings please. Full details are available at the bar and will shortly be posted on our web page on HHAD. Sorry for delay in posting. Ken
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Crawfords Hua Hin Xmas Dinner

Post by Lev »

Ken wrote:Full details are available at the bar and will shortly be posted on our web page on HHAD.
Done:

http://www.huahinafterdark.com/crawford ... ua-hin.htm