Home brew in Thailand

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
H2ODunc
Professional
Professional

Re: Home brew

Post by H2ODunc »

Anyone care to share some recipes for these delights ? The pineapple sounds rather nice. Cheers !
I never forget a face but in your case I'll make an exception!
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Me too

I seem to remember making some brew in the UK using pineapple and sugar and hanging it up to drip feed
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

Takiap and Buksi if you are attending the 19th bash we could swap experiences and recipes i will be there 1900 until 2230
H2o dunc come along

To me a demijohn and an air trap is for making wine
i have a system using Thai stuff quite cheap that works (heath robinson)

a dustbin with a good lid for making beer
Pine apple beer is muchly appreciated with a drop of loa khoa by thais

Pineapple wine or beer is difficult to make clear filtering is essential coffee filters are a help
A Greatfull Guest of Thailand
buksida

Post by buksida »

No can do, will be in the Nam sampling their Bia Hoi!

Edit:
Takiap wrote: Buksi, did you use brewers yeast? I've not seen it here so I'm curious because I'd like to do some brewing myself.
Half wine yeast and half the bakers stuff you can get here. Just had a glass and am feeling the buzz - will be starting my second batch shortly. :cheers:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Post by Korkenzieher »

I did read somewhere, though I can't find it now, that in order to get the 'lao kao' people to come in and take a free book on safe distillation ( to try and reduce the growing health impact), that the authorities had effectively decided to give a licence to anyone who came in. The quoted figure was 400baht. If it was true (which is questionable) it is possible it was only upcountry and only applied to Thais. But the suggestion was that private use had been effectively decriminalised.

WRT brewers yeast, you *may* be able to cultivate the dregs from a German 'Weizenbier'. It is supposedly still live, though I have never tried it myself.
Had enough of the trolls. Going to sleep. I may be some time....
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It is actually against the law in Thailand to brew alcohol at home. However, the fine (200bt) is so small that I guess it's not enforced. It's a different matter if you intend selling it!!

Section 5 of the Liquors Act (1950) states that it is illegal for anyone to brew their own alcohol, or even to have the equipment to do so.

'The maximum penalty for contravention of this section of the Act is six months in jail, or a fine of 5,000 baht, or both.
If the offender sells the liquor, the maximum penalty rises to a year in jail or a 10,000 baht fine, or both.
Those are the maximum penalties and can be imposed for making and/or selling distilled alcohol (spirits).
The maximum penalties for brewing or fermenting alcohol wine or beer, for example are lower: 200 baht for making it and 5,000 baht for selling it.'
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

when making wine back n the UK i would Freeze the wine and then remove the ice/water (it is not distilling as far as i know)
add the liquid left to a bottle of wine and you have fortified wine

i have some air traps on their way
A Greatfull Guest of Thailand
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

This looks pretty good but where does one get yeast?

Homemade Ginger Beer

1-1/2 to 2 cups of ginger (depending on how spicy you want it), grated or finely chopped
2 cups of organic, unrefined sugar
2 quarts of boiling water
Juice from 2 lemons
1 tsp yeast

In a large plastic or other breathable container, combine the ginger, sugar, and boiling water. Stir or shake well to dissolve the sugar. Add in the juice of two lemons and stir or shake again. Allow this mixture to cool to lukewarm temperature, about an hour. Add in yeast. Stir or shake again. Cover lightly and leave alone for 24 hours. Strain the ginger from the mixture and enjoy! Keeps in the fridge for up to a week. Best enjoyed within a few days, for that kicky gingery taste. (Remember, putting it in the fridge stops the fermentation process, so it’s a vital step.)
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

richard wrote:Me too

I seem to remember making some brew in the UK using pineapple and sugar and hanging it up to drip feed
How about a few more details on this one Richard....

Sounds very similar to a way a friend made "Marrow Rum"

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Cant remember really

Think I scooped the pineapple out and chopped it up. Hung the pineapple up with a small hole in the bottom and inserted the chopped pineapple and tons of sugar and waited a few days.

sure it must be on google somewhere

You mentioned Marrow. I'm hungry now as I used to love them stuffed with mince and onion

Any MARROWS in HH?
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

buksida wrote:No can do, will be in the Nam sampling their Bia Hoi!

Edit:
Takiap wrote: Buksi, did you use brewers yeast? I've not seen it here so I'm curious because I'd like to do some brewing myself.
Half wine yeast and half the bakers stuff you can get here. Just had a glass and am feeling the buzz - will be starting my second batch shortly. :cheers:
I was having a quick look for suppliers online, and on numerous sites, brewer's yeast came up as a common nutritional supplement for dogs - is this the same stuff? If so, would it be available through pet supply outlets online or otherwise in Thailand?

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

richard wrote:Cant remember really

Think I scooped the pineapple out and chopped it up. Hung the pineapple up with a small hole in the bottom and inserted the chopped pineapple and tons of sugar and waited a few days.

sure it must be on google somewhere

You mentioned Marrow. I'm hungry now as I used to love them stuffed with mince and onion

Any MARROWS in HH?
Sounds exactly the same method I remember my friend using - just can't remember timing etc.....

Thailand much the same as China I'm guessing with regards to marrows..... non-existent as they're always cultivated as courgettes/zucchini (i.e. early). Had MIL grow a couple last season - damn fine they were too!!

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

[quote="richard"]This looks pretty good but where does one get yeast?

You should have brought some back with you Richard on your last UK trip - I always buy things that are difficult to get or very expensive in HH.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Dannie Boy wrote:
richard wrote:This looks pretty good but where does one get yeast?

You should have brought some back with you Richard on your last UK trip - I always buy things that are difficult to get or very expensive in HH.
True

Will get some brought back from my mate in the 'Yeast Riding of Yorkshire'
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Instead of marrows/courgettes maybe aubergine would do - or pomegranates which are easily available in the LOS and might give a better taste?
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.