Home brew in Thailand

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Home brew

Post by sargeant »

Yeast is readily available here mostly Fermipam it comes in 500gm packs and at least 2 different sorts

i used to use it for bread making and wine making the problem is it goes off and a lot got wasted

so now i use the small bottles of yeast from tesco and the compact supermarket named perfect

it works fine although proper brewers/wine yeast is probably better
A Greatfull Guest of Thailand
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

http://www.livestrong.com/article/41849 ... ers-yeast/

I always thought any yeast would do for home brewing - couldn't be more wrong I guess.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

HHTel wrote:It is actually against the law in Thailand to brew alcohol at home. However, the fine (200bt) is so small that I guess it's not enforced. It's a different matter if you intend selling it!!

Section 5 of the Liquors Act (1950) states that it is illegal for anyone to brew their own alcohol, or even to have the equipment to do so.

'The maximum penalty for contravention of this section of the Act is six months in jail, or a fine of 5,000 baht, or both.
If the offender sells the liquor, the maximum penalty rises to a year in jail or a 10,000 baht fine, or both.
Those are the maximum penalties and can be imposed for making and/or selling distilled alcohol (spirits).
The maximum penalties for brewing or fermenting alcohol wine or beer, for example are lower: 200 baht for making it and 5,000 baht for selling it.'
I don't wish to be a party-pooper but isn't the forum taking a risk allowing such open discussion?
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

you dont drink it you put it in with the gasohol :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink: :wink: :wink:

that should make an enforcer wince :D :D :D :? :? :? :?
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Home brew

Post by dtaai-maai »

I have a fancy for a decent glass of bitter. Does anyone brew their own beer out here, or does the heat make that unfeasible?

And if you can get the kits, what about screw-top bottles?
This is the way
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

dtaai-maai wrote:I have a fancy for a decent glass of bitter. Does anyone brew their own beer out here, or does the heat make that unfeasible?

And if you can get the kits, what about screw-top bottles?
I'm sure you can't buy the kits in Thailand - as previously mentioned by Mr P, it's illegal to home brew.
Having said that, it was illegal in Pakistan, but that didn't stop me or the other guys who were working there from bringing a few tins of home brew in our bags on our trips back to the UK. The plastic coke, sprite bottles etc are perfectly ok for decanting the beer into after the first fermentation, just add half a teaspoon of sugar to get the secondary fermentation. :cheers:
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

How to make a perfect mulled wine.

Post by MrPlum »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... ulled-wine

Mulled wine is probably best served when you are half way up a mountain freezing your socks off. Still, I love the smells and have just tried the 'Felicity' recipe...

2 unwaxed oranges
1 lemon, peel only
150g caster sugar
5 cloves, plus extra for garnish
5 cardamom pods, bruised
1 cinnamon stick
A pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
2 bottles of fruity, unoaked red wine
150ml ginger wine

How did it turn out? Not so good. Still drinkable but the lemon is too sour and overpowering. Next year it's back to my tried and trusted recipe.

btw anyone know how you bruise a cardamom pod?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: How to make a perfect mulled wine.

Post by Dannie Boy »

MrPlum wrote:http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... ulled-wine

Mulled wine is probably best served when you are half way up a mountain freezing your socks off. Still, I love the smells and have just tried the 'Felicity' recipe...

2 unwaxed oranges
1 lemon, peel only
150g caster sugar
5 cardamom pods, bruised
1 cinnamon stick
150ml ginger wine

How did it turn out? Not so good. Still drinkable but the lemon is too sour and overpowering. Next year it's back to my tried and trusted recipe.

Same as you would me Mr P, give them a whack with something hard :cheers:
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

2 unwaxed oranges
1 lemon, peel only
150g caster sugar
5 cardamom pods, bruised
1 cinnamon stick
150ml ginger wine

Can i take it those two in red are your attempts at the wholly wrath and fury of god illegal home brew by any chance
Taking a risk arent you :roll: :roll: :roll: :tsk: :tsk: :tsk:
'Felicity' recipe...
i presume thats a typo it should have read Felicity CONSPIRACY surely
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

sargeant wrote:Can i take it those two in red are your attempts at the wholly wrath and fury of god illegal home brew by any chance
Taking a risk arent you :roll: :roll: :roll: :tsk: :tsk: :tsk:
Adding spices to a legally purchased bottle of wine is hardly illegal. Since when does it increase the alcohol content?
i presume thats a typo it should have read Felicity CONSPIRACY surely
Indeed. She has clearly conspired to make her recipe more popular than Jamie Oliver's.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

MrPlum wrote:http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... ulled-wine

How to bruise a cardomom pod? Bash it I guess! Maybe quite gently though...
But on the subject of mulled wine - now I've nothing against alcohol of course. But there are certain things which people only seem to buy at Christmas aren't there? Mulled wine being a prime example. And Advocaat - Snowballs are only drunk at Christmas too. Why? What is it that drives perfectly sane people to stick spices in wine and drink custard flavoured spirits? :roll:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

margaretcarnes wrote:What is it that drives perfectly sane people to stick spices in wine and drink custard flavoured spirits? :roll:
This sane person burns off the alcohol so I don't get sozzled. I get to enjoy the wine flavour plus the spices. Mulled wine is a waste of a good wine. So the cheap stuff and any leftovers can get salvaged. How many half-drunk bottles have you had left over after a party? Mulled wine tastes better than vinegar. :idea:
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

Mulled wine tastes better than vinegar.
NOT apple cider vineger surely that cant be right or are you getting the alzhiemers symptoms

happy new year

sorry could not resist even with the xmas spirit (oops i dont drink alcohol i just brew it)
buksida

Re: Home brew in Thailand

Post by buksida »

Brewing up trouble with Bangkok's rebel beer buffs
Dubbed Thailand’s “Silicon Valley” of brewers among the craft beer community, Nonthaburi province is where it all began. It was where Wichit Saiklao, an army colonel, started Chitbeer, after two attempts at brewing in his condominium failed. It was also where all eight members of the Sandport beer collective grew up, while a major malt importer has an office in Pak Kret district. The island of Koh Kret even hosts beer-tasting nights on Fridays.

I think its a coincidence that Pak Kret came to be the capital of Thai home brewers, Col Wichit said. But I think the coolest road is the one behind Major Hollywood Pak Kret. If we closed the streets, got a lot of brewers together and had a barbecue, how good would that be?

Brewing your own wine and beer in Thailand is illegal. But with dozens of enthusiasts crossing the Chao Phraya river every week to take one-day courses with Col Wichit, the movement is raising a challenge to the legal restrictions that have prevented craft breweries from flourishing until now.

Last year, I could count the number of brewers in Thailand on one hand, Col Wichit said. But now, I've run out of fingers and toes to keep track of them. It's definitely a trend.

As a college student in Atlanta, Georgia, Col Wichit's friends would invite him over to their apartments to drink homemade beer. It was 1996, when craft beer was already popular in the US, and Col Wichit was intrigued.

He came back to Thailand in 2002. The desire to try his hand at home brewing stayed with him, but it wasn't until November 2011 that he attempted two batches at his condominium, both of which failed.

Little did Col Wichit know that Chitbeer would later become one of the best known craft beers in the country.

Full Story: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/special ... beer-buffs
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Home brew in Thailand

Post by HHTel »

Col Wichit and the like can get away with it openly. Try Home-Brewing as a foreigner and watch the police come down on you like a ton of bricks if they find out.