Fish and Chips

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Re: Fish and Chips

Post by Siani »

All I can say to Bar Tender on Soi 94 and Pin the owner is "Wish you all the very best in your venture" I think they deserve to do well by the choice and price of their menu. I had a PM from the owner inviting me to taste their sausages, they sound home made, which is really good. They also sound very nice polite people.

All the best from me :thumb:

When next in HH I will call in 8)
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

richard wrote:SJ and DM
I use many places for breaky and meals and all have their strengths and weaknesses. All places have ups and downs and after being here for 10 years plus, I've experienced the changes an establishment can go through overnight.
Richard, you haven't even eaten in the place yet and you're judging the quality of their food, you haven't 'experienced' anything about this establishment. You did exactly the same to the new Victoria's, making claims about the quality of their food before you'd actually eaten there. Now you have tried them you rate them as the best F&C's in town :shock:

You could at least give these new places a try or two before passing judgement :idea:

SJ
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

I can't believe some of these posts and comments on a picture. Doesn't seem to be many chips on that plate ! WTF - You stay on your plastic stool by the roadside and invest your 30 baht wisely. The people who have eaten and drank there have all posted positive remarks, don't knock it until you try it. :guns:

I love fish and chips and I always say it is the only thing I miss about the UK.

I also didn't want to compare it with any other establishment but as Richard as already said about Victoria 2 (Barry's plaice on Soi 80) I will also. I got a takeaway from Barry's about 4 nights ago and it was excellent. Like Richard said, nice batter and good chips. Taste wise between the two I liked them both and will have both again. Barrys was 230 baht, Soi tender 160 baht and Bar Tender fish was twice the size. I struggled to finish the dish at BT but from Barry's I ate a third of my wifes also. I asked Roy at BT if my fish was a big portion or normal size, he stated that was a normal portion which concludes with the other posters who have actually eaten there who also struggles to clear their plate. I've already told my missus when she goes with me to BT I will order a cornish pastie cos I know she will only eat a half of that F & C so for me it's a win win. :cheers:

Also because of the location BT doesn't have the foot traffic Lin's & Barrys enjoy so
good luck to Roy & Pin at Bar Tender.

DM and SJ - good posts and I agree.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Went to Bar Tender tonight with great anticipation - but it was closed :o
Another case of closed on Mondays or?

So, rather than have a wasted trip from Paknampran, we ended up in Sakura after a long absence - and very nice it was again.

There seem to be a lot of places opening up in Soi 94 now and the new Khun Oy place looks like it will be ready in the not too distant future.

So the F&C will have to wait for a while longer ......................
bapak
Deceased
Deceased

Post by bapak »

barrys wrote:Went to Bar Tender tonight with great anticipation - but it was closed :o
Another case of closed on Mondays or?

So, rather than have a wasted trip from Paknampran, we ended up in Sakura after a long absence - and very nice it was again.

There seem to be a lot of places opening up in Soi 94 now and the new Khun Oy place looks like it will be ready in the not too distant future.

So the F&C will have to wait for a while longer ......................
Many places offering liquid refreshments of a particular kind are closed today as per an instructions from authorities re today's cremation.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

I also went Monday morning to find it was closed. :( Never mind, next time!
alleykat
Professional
Professional

Post by alleykat »

Pagey wrote: can't believe some of these posts and comments on a picture. Doesn't seem to be many chips on that plate ! WTF - You stay on your plastic stool by the roadside and invest your 30 baht wisely. The people who have eaten and drank there have all posted positive remarks, don't knock it until you try it.
Am I not allowed to comment on picture that was posted with the intention of giving potential punters an idea of what to expect? Otherwise why have pictures (on menus) at all?

I didn't say that it wasn't good. I said that there doesn't appear to be many chips (in the picture)! Perhaps they actually serve more than in the picture? Maybe they are big chips?
When I get F & C I expect more than a handful of chips. And why not? Potatoes are cheap here.

By the way Page Boy I have eaten there before.

And whats wrong with sitting on a plastic stool by the roadside eating like the Thai's? (which I do on very rare occasions when I'm not in a tourist area). Is that beneath you or do you just stick with safe food that you've always eaten?
lagojardin

Post by lagojardin »

I cannot believe the negativity on here towards BT. Why not go and try the place before making snide comments?
Does everyone not know that there is a royal burning and all drinking establishments have to close for no's 8,9,10 of this month? Could that be the reason why Bar Tender was closed ?

Some people are very strange !
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

I actually took a photo of my portion on Saturday but not sure if I can upload from my iphone. The fish itself takes up half the plate and the chips are thick chunky real chips so very filling. I also said I ate it all but struggled - that wasn't quite true, I didn't eat the peas cos I don't like them.

And as pointed out they are a bar, not a restaurant, so had to close on Sun, Mon for the royal funeral, the same as most bars in town.

Oh, and Alleykat, you know my eating habits then ? :neener:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

OK Went there yesterday for breakfast. I had a sausage sandwich and the girlfriend had a scrambled egg sandwich.

Bread was white, so that was a relief. Food was fine, certainly for 40bt per head there was nothing to complain about. Unfortunately, as it is first and foremost a bar, the drinks suffer from bar prices and I always grit my teeth at paying 30bt for a bottle of water! :) Still we had 2 glasses of ice which weren't charged for, as might be in other bars. Either way, one shared bottle of water increased the bill for a meal by nearly 50%. That I suppose only goes to prove what a bargain to food is! :)
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

Pagey wrote:I actually took a photo of my portion on Saturday but not sure if I can upload from my iphone. The fish itself takes up half the plate and the chips are thick chunky real chips so very filling. I also said I ate it all but struggled - that wasn't quite true, I didn't eat the peas cos I don't like them.
Likewise re: the peas. Got a take-away today, there were plenty of chips, their photo doesn't do them justice at all. Owners haven't a clue I post on here about it or anything.
20120412_142626.jpg
:cheers:
SJ
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

wantsomewantsomewantsomewantsomewantsomeNOW!!
This is the way
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Looks good to me! What day next week DM? (Please PM me so all my fans and the paparazzi don't show up). :D :D :D
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

What kind of fish is it? I don't think there is local cod so if cod I guess frozen and imported. A place I frequent on my side here serves exactly the same as in the photos (except the peas are mushy) and it's 350 Baht. I'm curious though what fish is used in most of these places if not cod. Is there a cod taste-alike? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Only 3 peas on the 1 one on the left hand side SJ, tight on the tommy k too. :wink: :|