Fish and Chips

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Big Boy

Re: Fish and Chips

Post by Big Boy »

You've got me thinking DB. I've just made a rare visit to the kitchen to check my coveted stock, which only comes out on special occasions. Shock, horror, this is all that I've got left :cry:
20150531_100729.jpg
20150531_100729.jpg (167.68 KiB) Viewed 1680 times
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

i am not sure about the mushy peas?
Same here, love fish and chips (done right; most of the good ones I remember having were in England, Australia, New Zealand and always in pubs) but I will pass on the mushy peas.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

The only mushy peas I remember came out of a can - Libbys I think it was. Heinz 47 baked beans (with some sausage bits) and tom pipers irish stew. Had a choice of marmite, vegemite or bovril on bread - about the same-ish. Walls sausages birds eye frozen peas and swis roll - all from Cold Storage (the equivalent of Foodland) in Singapore andof course christmas hams and long island duck... Were spoilt for choices back then. Just too expensive these days. ..
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Erm swis roll should have read arctic roll - ice cream in sponge cake
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re:

Post by Nereus »

VincentD wrote:Erm swis roll should have read arctic roll - ice cream in sponge cake
Heinz 47 baked beans
erm, if they sold you 47 you were short changed. I think you will find it is 57. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Re:

Post by Takiap »

Nereus wrote:
VincentD wrote:Erm swis roll should have read arctic roll - ice cream in sponge cake
Heinz 47 baked beans
erm, if they sold you 47 you were short changed. I think you will find it is 57. :cheers:

Well, to be on the safe side I stocked up with 8 cans of baked beans, all of which I can enjoy by myself because I'm the only one in the house that eats them. I guess it's baked beans; egg; bacon and toast for breakfast today. :thumb:

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

""You've got me thinking DB. I've just made a rare visit to the kitchen to check my coveted stock, which only comes out on special occasions. Shock, horror, this is all that I've got left ""

BB Happy to bring some peas over if you want. Small payment for all the effort you put in for the forum

Also I would like to try some different Thai places on my next visit. I feel like I have tried all the restaurants but clearly there are loads I haven't.

Can anybody let me know of any that may be not so well known do you think ?

Any type of thai food is good

Cheers

AH
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

ahandpatsy wrote:BB Happy to bring some peas over if you want. Small payment for all the effort you put in for the forum
Thanks for your very kind offer, but I already have some on the way :thumb:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

Over the last two days, after reading this thread about how good the fish and chips are at the "bar Tender", my wife and I have searched for this retuarant. First at night, then today during daylight. Of course we could not find it anywhere on soi 94. This evening, I finally realized the posts I was reading were from 2012 ! It must have gone out of business since then, I feel like a fool for getting my wife's expectations up. So the question remains, in June of 2015, where are the best fish and chips to be found in Hua Hin ?
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

I've give up looking. 90% of the restaurants use cheap farmed Vietnamese Pangius. And only a few of them do real chips. I now do my own using frozen cod bought from Villa Market.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Fish and Chips

Post by Henry 14th »

Yeah I'm with Pagey really.

For me the best in town are at the Victoria on soi 80 bit even they let down on the quality of fish.

Great batter and mushy peas tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkkghkc. Molk a
A

ZvV
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Jesse wrote:Over the last two days, after reading this thread about how good the fish and chips are at the "bar Tender", my wife and I have searched for this retuarant. First at night, then today during daylight. Of course we could not find it anywhere on soi 94. This evening, I finally realized the posts I was reading were from 2012 ! It must have gone out of business since then, I feel like a fool for getting my wife's expectations up. So the question remains, in June of 2015, where are the best fish and chips to be found in Hua Hin ?
It's now the Pizzaria and probably one of the best pizzas in HH done in authentic pizza ovens. It's owned and run by Italilians.
Pagey wrote:I've give up looking. 90% of the restaurants use cheap farmed Vietnamese Pangius. And only a few of them do real chips. I now do my own using frozen cod bought from Villa Market.
If you'd ever worked with cod, you would never eat it again. Riddled with worms and cancerous bacteria. Of course, these are killed in the process and is safe to eat. My mother worked in Bird's Eye for several years and I always remember, on visiting, the worms wriggling about in the fish and being pulled out by my mum on the production line.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Yep, I've read about the worms. Not done me any harm. Birds Eye in Gypsyville eh!

Closed a few years ago I believe.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Yeh, I'm from Hull and it was many many years ago. I was still at school and I'm now drawing a pension!
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Is Barry still operating in Soi 80? His F&C were about the best I've had in Hua-Hin, even though he also apparently used/uses farmed fish.

These days I just make my own and have been experimenting with different types of fish. Surprisingly, I have found that Talapia fillets turn out far better than the Vietnamese Pangasius. I quite like using Yellow Tail as well but the ones for sale at Makro are quite small so you need to do a few fillets at a time, and since the fish are frozen and whole, you need to fillet them yourself.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact