Which Smart TV?

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Geko
Professional
Professional

Re: HDMI Cables

Post by Geko »

Hi PeteC

Im looking at buying a new TV and cannot decide on model or make, you seem really happy with your new Panasonic, can you give model number, cost and where you got it.
PeteC

Re: HDMI Cables

Post by PeteC »

It's model TH-55FX600T Viera, 2018 version. Got it at HomePro over here on the Rayong side. I think it was about 23 but will confirm later when the wife gets back from her marathon run this morning. As with most places if you agree to buy the store demo model they reduce it by about 3-5,000 depending upon what you can haggle.

The Viera models go up to 650 I think. The difference is cosmetic concerning the stand and frame, and more pixels. The price rockets for the higher models to around 35 for the 55" so I didn't see the value in it. The 600 seems to have all we need and it has a great picture with the new HDMI cable.

Be careful of size depending upon the viewing distance in your living room. We sit about 4.5 meters from the screen and 65" would be overwhelming from that distance, and uncomfortable to watch IMO. Picked Panasonic as had a trouble free plasma set for 12 years before it gave up. Have some Samsung units as well upstairs and their track record with us is not as good. Circuit board problems after a few years. There is an older thread on here with Buksida indicating he had to re-solder a few of his Samsung boards himself to repair his set(s). Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Which Smart TV?

Post by HHTel »

I have a Samsung 75" viewed from 3 to 4 meters and find it fantastic, especially watching 3D. Uncomfortable and overwhelming....... nah!!
LOL
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

4632-16-2.jpg
4632-16-2.jpg (51.71 KiB) Viewed 789 times

:laugh:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

You've met my family then!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Is this Smart? I've just seen that it's the last day of the sale at Bluport - looks OK to me.
tv.jpg
tv.jpg (75.13 KiB) Viewed 694 times
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

I guess it depends what you mean by 'Smart TV'. According to the Panasonic website, this model has a Web Browser and 'Internet Apps' so it sounds like it is. The salespeople in the store should also be able to tell you, and maybe you could get them to set one up for a demo.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Yes, it appears per the below link where "smart" is mentioned. You should check the Thai description as it seems Panasonic makes specific models for Thailand? Tht's a good price. The lowest I found was on Lazada at 9+++. Pete :cheers:

https://www.panasonic.com/th/consumer/h ... e400t.html
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

CAUTION!!!! I just read another listing from HomePro that says that model is not a "Smart TV" and has no internet connection. Look bottom right column.

https://www.homepro.co.th/product/1084617?lang=en

I don't know who or what to believe about this one? :?
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Not smart. Didn't see any mention of Internet on the Panasonic Thailand site.The TH-E400T specs make no mention of WiFi or Ethernet port. It does seem to support digital TV though and can play movies from USB devices. Personally, I'd rather buy a non-smart TV anyway and get a TV box to provide the smartness.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

A thought I'm having is that TV prices here may dip significantly after the WC is over, and rise again as we approach the start of the Premier League in August. I would look in that window between July 15 - August 10 to see if any good deals. One thing I did notice while shopping is that some places still have 2017 models in stock going at a discount. Pete :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

hhinner wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:32 pm Personally, I'd rather buy a non-smart TV anyway and get a TV box to provide the smartness.
I'd tend to agree - extra gimmicks to go wrong. I know so many people who pay that extra money for the smartness, but then find it too complicated to use, or what they want to use isn't compatible. Personally, I've got a cheap laptop connected to my 'stupid' TV. Absolutely brilliant.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

The thing is that if you want an UHD (Ultra High Definition - 4K) TV, it’s likely that you will only get it in a “smart” TV, with internet connectivity etc.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:08 pm
hhinner wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:32 pm Personally, I'd rather buy a non-smart TV anyway and get a TV box to provide the smartness.
I'd tend to agree - extra gimmicks to go wrong. I know so many people who pay that extra money for the smartness, but then find it too complicated to use, or what they want to use isn't compatible. Personally, I've got a cheap laptop connected to my 'stupid' TV. Absolutely brilliant.
I too have a laptop connected to the TV. I disabled the wifi connection on the TV as it seemed to take charge of all the devices on my home network. Things on my laptop ceased to work as settings had somehow been altered. Got everything back as was after disconnecting the TV from wifi!