How Do You Receive Your Thai TV?

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design

True
21%
AIS
7%
Cable
29%
HD Prime
No votes
Direct via aerial or satellite dish
43%
Other (please name)
No votes

Total votes: 14

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

This has been playing on my mind since the demise of AIS's showing of the World Cup. Several people came on, and asked what the problem was because it was available on free to air TV. I've thought about it, and I don't know anybody, Thai or Farang that doesn't receive the free to air stuff via a 3rd party provider.

So what I'm wondering is how do people actually receive their free to air channels, and does anybody receive them direct?

I just don't believe there can be that many people not receiving the programme via a 3rd party provider these days.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Re: How Do You Receive Your Thai TV?

Post by buksida »

Satellite dish and a box the mrs paid a one-off price of about 2 grand for about 4 years ago.

Most Thai TV channels also stream live directly via their respective websites. Mrs currently watching the good news about the cave rescue on her tablet, while I watch Brazil celebrate.

A Thai woman would be the expert on this subject I believe. :mrgreen:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm sure we'll hear of others, but she;s the first I've ever heard of here. I must admit, an ex-girlfriend of my son offered to get us something similar for about 1K, but we already had it via True at the time.

Points 41; Position 18
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

True and I assume mainstream 'terrestrial' TV. Just swap between the two. The other half also watches youtube (smart tv, allegedly) for anything she can't get through other means. I think mainly for Korean stuff and films.

When we were in Korat, we used AIS when footie was via CTH (?). The change happened when True got premier football.
Talk is cheap
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I don't receive TV since Teatime's recent demise, but mrs M usurps all incoming TV through a sat dish. Her brother gave her a box last year, I hooked it up, and it works. They get about 30 channels, all Thai and seems like all Lakorn.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

2 out of 3 respondents so far have said they receive the signal direct. This really surprises me because absolutely nobody I knew (or at least, that's what I thought I knew) has ever said they receive the signal direct.

Under normal circumstances, most people want a bit more, so they subscribe to another service anyway, and most Farangs aren't interested in Thai TV anyway. I don't see why anybody would bother with a direct Thai TV feed if they're subscribing to a package that provides it anyway.
caller wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:26 am True and I assume mainstream 'terrestrial' TV.
This is a good example - True gives you Thai TV anyway, so why have a separate feed for the Thai TV? I don't understand. Do you you a separate dish, or an old fashioned aerial?

I'm not criticising, just trying to understand why. Outside of the World Cup, I don't see any advantage.

[Edit] That's now 3 out of 4 respondents.

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:05 am I don't see why anybody would bother with a direct Thai TV feed if they're subscribing to a package that provides it anyway.
Because there are many that don't want to subscribe to a package when you can get most things (including Thai TV) for free. Our household has not paid for a TV package in over 8 years and we still get to watch 80% of what we want through torrents, Kodi, or the VPN via the UK - that is good enough for me.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, I accept some don't subscribe to a package, but I assumed most did. The ones that baffle me are those who subscribe, but still receive their Thai TV through another means.

I too use many other means (not for Thai TV) also, but I find 600 Baht/month for 3 Platinum TV packages quite palatable, and it keeps the family content. I don't see any point introducing more clutter, when it is already available.

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

We have a dish from many moons ago when we had what is now 'True'. My wife bought an AEC box for a few hundred baht (for the TV in the bedroom) and it works fine with the dish. Only Thai TV so of no interest to me personally.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I don't really watch TV but a couple of months ago a friend bought a TV antenna for his girlfriend and wanted to try it, so I hooked it up to a TV I use for music videos in the garden and it got very good reception on one channel. That was just a small indoor antenna, not one on the roof.
We used to have two True satellite receivers running but the other half stopped paying for them a couple of years ago and I never used them anyway so they're sat gathering bird droppings. When the son in law comes to stay, he just uses his phone.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:05 amThis is a good example - True gives you Thai TV anyway, so why have a separate feed for the Thai TV? I don't understand. Do you you a separate dish, or an old fashioned aerial?
Because that is how the TV was set up by the guy's who delivered it, when we bought it. I recollect there was some talk of cover in case True didn't deliver the goods.

BB, when you talk about not understanding, that works both way's. I am constantly bemused by your battles with various providers that I could never be bothered with. :wink:

Next season, I will follow whoever has premiership football, which might not be true and I would like a catch-up option. Like Steve, I don't watch much TV, but MOTD, masterchef and a few other things that crop up from time to tme interest me.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

So if you could prove that a provider is overcharging you, they agree that they are overcharging you and they insist they will continue to overcharge you, you would happily pay? :?

I won't, and I'm sorry if that bemuses you. I have since heard of 2 others with the same problem, yet they continue to pay, so maybe you're right - I should just pay the extra and smile.

[Edit] It is only one provider as far as I remember.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Regarding the original question, thanks guys. Not a huge response, but a real eye opener.

As I said, I didn't think I knew anybody who received Thai TV direct. It turns out I knew 3 of the respondents - you live and learn.

OK, a very small sample, but I would have put money on people receiving Thai TV direct as being very low. I've seen builders in their tin shacks messing about with small satellite dishes and TV aerials, but believed that was it. Even the villagers in Mrs BB's village don't get their Thai TV by traditional methods. At least, that has always been what I thought - every house seems to have a huge dish that moves mechanically - I suppose they may be receiving the signal direct.

Points 41; Position 18
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Free satellite in the bedroom and cable downstairs. Like many I had problems with True so ditched it (eventually after a lot of bother). The cable is a bit iffy but not surprising as it has fox sports and is very cheap.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Ha, brilliant - another one. I am amazed. Not in a bad way mind. I just didn't believe anybody did it. Thank you.

Points 41; Position 18