LG HDTV Problem

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

LG HDTV Problem

Post by StevePIraq »

I have an LG HD web OS smart TV, however a number of digital channels continually go off and I get a screen saying "no signal or searching for signal". I have retuned multiple times with no improvement, The signal strength is quite low for these channels at 9-12%, however the signal quality is 50% +. I have cable TV not satellite and no set top box etc.

LG support is useless as is Homepro where I bought the damned thing. HP have no technical staff and LG have promised to attend multiple times and have never arrived, their help desk in Bangkok is Thai only when you get to the tech people so I can't get anywhere.

Is it possible I need some sort of signal amplifier/booster? if so where would I buy one?

Any advice will be very much appreciated.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: LG HDTV Problem

Post by hhinner »

Have you tried the cable company?
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

Those sound like very low percentages. I suspect any TV would struggle to maintain a picture with those numbers. I have a set top box but the signal strength is never less than 75% and the quality is always 100%. As @hhinner suggests, maybe the problem is with the cable signal, not the TV and it might be better to check with the cable service provider.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

When we first moved here we had cable, but the signal got weaker and weaker, to the point my wife was watching shadows on the screen. The company used every excuse, but it definitely wasn't their fault, and they couldn't fix it. In the end, we had no option but to switch to something else, from which point we've had perfect reception using both satellite and internet solutions.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I had exactly the same experience with cable. Started off good and deteriorated week by week. The cable company checked outside and inside but couldn't fix it so we dropped it for better solutions.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

I didn't really think it was the TV but their lack of customer support is atrocious.

I have tried the cable company and the wife is following up with them but they have still not attended. Very frustrating
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

StevePIraq wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:25 pm the wife is following up with them but they have still not attended. Very frustrating
I think that is the point HHTel and I were trying to make.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

LG HDTV Problem

Post by T.I.G.R. »

Your problem is definitely with the Cable Company. You are not likely to find your
TV processes a signal differently from one channel to the next. You need to have the cable company analyse your connection and fix it.
Don East Stand
Professional
Professional

Post by Don East Stand »

Hi,

I have a problem with my LG smart TV .......... I can watch Netflix, Youtube, no problems, but when I try to watch videos on the web browser it does not work. In the address bar a yellow triangle with a white exclamation mark inside it appears on top of the padlock.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Don East Stand wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:30 pm Hi,

I have a problem with my LG smart TV .......... I can watch Netflix, Youtube, no problems, but when I try to watch videos on the web browser it does not work. In the address bar a yellow triangle with a white exclamation mark inside it appears on top of the padlock.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I had lots of problems with mine, the cable company was at fault however there were also issues with the TV.
You should contact LG in Bangkok, they have a help desk, you will need to tell them in Thai what the problem is, they will then access your TV remotely and investigate. Sorry I don't have the number anymore. Have you checked you have all updates installed?
Don East Stand
Professional
Professional

Post by Don East Stand »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply, I seem to have all updates installed.

Further investigations show that I can view videos on some websites, but not others. :?

Unfortunately I don't see phoning the helpdesk in Bangkok, and explaining my problem in Thai as being a starter ....... I sometimes have trouble communicating in English!! :D :laugh:

Thanks again for your help.

GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

If you can watch videos on some sites but not others, that sounds like it could be a problem with the video format the site is using. For instance, I have a Sony Smart TV and it can handle videos in some formats but not others. So if the site is using a video format (mp4, for example) that your TV can handle, the video will play but if it's a non-supported format (let's say, m3u8) then it won't
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Don East Stand wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:33 pm Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply, I seem to have all updates installed.

Further investigations show that I can view videos on some websites, but not others. :?

Unfortunately I don't see phoning the helpdesk in Bangkok, and explaining my problem in Thai as being a starter ....... I sometimes have trouble communicating in English!! :D :laugh:

Thanks again for your help.

Do you have Thai lady or friend/neighbour who could make the call. They did fix my problems in the end but it took months.
Don East Stand
Professional
Professional

Post by Don East Stand »

Hi GroveHillWanderer,

It certainly sounds like you could be right, however I remain puzzled, :? because the sites were working fine for months. It's just in the last week, or 10 days that it has been a problem.

The sites we want to watch continue to work fine on my laptop. :?

Does anyone know if the problem may have been created by a software update on my TV? Can I do "System Restore" to an earlier date on the TV? If so how?

StevePIraq ....... You might have a point, I'm sure my lovely farang wife will understand when I go looking for a Thai lady, to help me phone the helpdesk in Bangkok! :duck: :naughty: :laugh:

StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

No system restore on LG TV's you can only check and update software.

Surely you or your wife know one person who speaks Thai who would be kind enough to make a call for you.