Smartphone thermometer

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
PeteC

Smartphone thermometer

Post by PeteC »

Can a smart phone act as a thermometer? Not an application for the temperature at the nearest station, but what the ambient is exactly at the spot where you're standing and holding your phone? I would think that would be an easy thing to design into a smartphone, as I think the capability is present in other portable digital devices. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Re: Thermometer

Post by PeteC »

.......or, perhaps the internal heat from the phone circuits/battery makes what I ask impossible or inaccurate?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

This may be of interest

Iphone/Ipad App
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/icelsiu ... 12879?mt=8

Probe kits
http://www.icelsius.com

If the light spectrum sensitivity for Smart phone cameras is broadened to include IR (Infra Red) probes could probably be done away with.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

There are a lot of thermometer apps available. I've just downloaded one to try it. It tells me the temperature is 30C and humidity is 70%. However, I've no idea if the phone has done that, or whether the phone is getting the information elsewhere.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:11 pm There are a lot of thermometer apps available. I've just downloaded one to try it. It tells me the temperature is 30C and humidity is 70%. However, I've no idea if the phone has done that, or whether the phone is getting the information elsewhere.

It may be taking the temperature from information based on your GPS location.Throw it in the fridge for 5 mins and see what it does! I would be somewhat surprised if there is a thermal sensor in the phone for this purpose ( There is a protective thermal overload sensor in iPhone products to protect the circuitry when the device overheats.)
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Smart phones cannot determine local temperature all they can do is link to a local web site for the nearest record.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Post by Felipesed1 »

crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Well here you go for a start. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperature_measurement

Having studied the various ways of measure many years ago I have no idea if my smartphone has a sensor and I am not sticking it in my mouth, my ear or anywhere else. Just walk outside and it is either hot, cold or cool. You cannot control it without central heating, aircon etc so why worry about it? Hua Hin hit 38c today where I amwith Kan @ 44c. Possibly more in the concrete jungles. Getting into aircon season :roll:

Crazy 88
mariad
Amateur
Amateur

Post by mariad »

I think there should be an app already, since there are apps for your heart rate and blood pressure measuring.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

You could buy a lot of these for the price of a smartphone!
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

mariad wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:39 pm I think there should be an app already, since there are apps for your heart rate and blood pressure measuring.
The heart rate monitor uses the light and light receiver on the phone near the camera. It pulses light through your skin and senses the return to get the speed of the pulse.

I don't think smartphones have a temperature sensor.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The reason I thought of it was because of a football tournament today with Under 13 kids. A big pitch, two in fact side by side, and no shade or thermometer in sight. A few kids on the verge of heat exhaustion where we had to cool them down fast. It would have been good if we knew what temp we were dealing with on the ground, on the spot. It would have been good for the medics/ambulance in attendance to know as well, if they ever woke up from under their shade tree.

I guess the scientist and explorers who go into the mouth of a volcano, the middle of the Sahara, or to the south pole have portable instruments that the common man can't afford to carry in his pocket, and of course with the myth of global warming we don't need to know what the temp is, as hot is what they tell us it is. :roll:

I think it's a function that would be handy and welcome to many in various parts of the world and the situations they find themselves in.

Thanks for the above links which I haven't looked at yet. Later on and I'll post if questions. Pete :cheers:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

....and of course with the myth of global warming we don't need to know what the temp is, as hot is what they tell us it is.
Not anymore Pete, Trump just killed the NASA budget to study the climate!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

STEVE G wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:10 am
....and of course with the myth of global warming we don't need to know what the temp is, as hot is what they tell us it is.
Not anymore Pete, Trump just killed the NASA budget to study the climate!
the u.s. isn't the only place where climate is studied.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

prcscct wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:20 pm It would have been good if we knew what temp we were dealing with on the ground, on the spot...I think it's a function that would be handy and welcome to many in various parts of the world and the situations they find themselves in.
When I visit Hua Hin I wear my Tissot T-Touch watch that includes a thermometer among other functions. For around $50-100 you can buy a variety of Casio "sports" watches that have thermometers built-in, as well as other functions that would be useful for football matches or other sporting events. Perhaps you could have a "go to" football watch for these occasions?
:cheers:
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde