Free Anti-Virus

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Big Boy

Free Anti-Virus

Post by Big Boy »

2 years ago, my hard disk died, and when my laptop came back, it had Eset Nod32 installed. This software was very effective.

This morning I was offered a FREE upgrade, which I accepted. Guess what, they lied - I've got to pay for it.

I'm now looking for a free replacement. I was using Avast until the hard drive died. Is Avast still OK, or is there a better, new kid on the block?

I know we've had similar threads in the past, but they are probably outdated now.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
brianks
Guru
Guru

Re: Free Anti-Virus

Post by brianks »

I have always used AVG free version.
robcar
Professional
Professional

Post by robcar »

If you are using Win 10 you already have Windows Defender installed which will auto update. If not W10 then then personally I prefer Avast.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm still running Win 7.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

Been using Avast for years, never had a problem with it.

Malware and browser hijacking is now more of a problem to computers than "viruses". AV software alone is not enough as it does not detect them.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

After years with Avast, I switched recently after seeing Avast making it difficult to avoid upgrading. Later AskWoody.com reported on the same behavior: So, Avast stealthily “upgraded” me against my will, using exactly the same method Microsoft introduced with its wicked Windows 10 “upgrade” nag screen, where no Cancel option is offered and where clicking X means Accept. https://www.askwoody.com/2016/avast-goes-rogue/

I'm now using the paid version of Avira.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Avast/Avira, much the same and very good for Win 7, if using Win 10 I do not recommend Avira as I had major problems with it. In 10 years with Avast I never had one problem, changed to Avira and it was a disaster for me.

As Buks said it is not viruses to worry about these days it is Malware and Spyware.
Below is a good review to assist.
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/ ... 6-3627578/
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Chazz14
Professional
Professional

Post by Chazz14 »

I've never been convinced that the free products are going to give me the maximum protection. Of course every supplier wants you to try before you buy, but if the free product is too good then maybe customers delay their decision to pay which is no good for the supplier?

I have used ESET Internet Security for 2 years now without any probs. I've found that it does not slow my laptop down, as was the case with Kaspersky which I tried before. I have used it whilst running Windows 8.1 and now 10 and ESET sends me virus database updates every 2-3 hours.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

How does anyone know they would have had a problem if they weren't using their favourite antivirus software? I've been using Windows Defender since Windows 8 and now with Windows 10 on 2 laptops and never had a problem. Just lucky probably. It's the zero day exploit or social engineering (eg phishing) that'll most likely get you these days. Of course visiting dodgy sites doesn't help.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re:

Post by Homer »

hhinner wrote:How does anyone know they would have had a problem if they weren't using their favourite antivirus software?
When it alerts before loading a web page that malware was detected on previous visits by other users of the antivirus app.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

So avira does that?
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

I have used Fee Avast for a few years without any problem
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks guys - there doesn't seem to be any new kid on the block, so I'll revert to Avast, which served me well for several years.

Points 48; Position 18