Best data package sim?

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Henrikas
Rookie
Rookie

Best data package sim?

Post by Henrikas »

I'm visiting hua Hin for a month this summer, and is looking for what the best data package for my cell phone will be. Ideally I'd like to have as much data as possible (for a reasonable price) and at high band width, so my kids can stream Netflix while out and about.

Any recommendations?
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Re: Best data package sim?

Post by JamesWest »

Henrikas wrote:I'm visiting hua Hin for a month this summer, and is looking for what the best data package for my cell phone will be. Ideally I'd like to have as much data as possible (for a reasonable price) and at high band width, so my kids can stream Netflix while out and about.

Any recommendations?
I could be wrong, but you will not be able to stream Netflix in Thailand without a VPN.

I use AIS as my cellphone provider in Thailand. Their data is fast enough to watch youtube and do GPS nav while moving very quickly. And I can provide a wifi hot spot and two or more people can access the web at the same time.

packages are about 399-999 baht per month sold by the amount of gigs of data needed.

top floor of market village. north side.

http://www.ais.co.th/en/
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
Henrikas
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Henrikas »

Thanks! But there are no packages with unlimited data, right?

Sent fra min PLK-L01 via Tapatalk
PeteC

Re:

Post by PeteC »

Henrikas wrote:Thanks! But there are no packages with unlimited data, right?

Sent fra min PLK-L01 via Tapatalk
There are unlimited packages but over a certain usage they drop you down to a speed where probably impossible to watch movies. Following link is an example. If you choose AIS, above advice is good to go to an AIS service desk to buy your SIM card and tell them what you want to use it for and they should be able to set you up with the fastest and most extensive package they have. http://www.ais.co.th/3g/en/package.aspx ... r_sim#tips

Understanding what the top 3 companies offer here is a minefield as their web sites are a mix of Thai and English, and promotions are changing almost daily. I'll list the sites for the other two companies below if you want to try to explore them or use a translator to see what they're offering. Again, really important to ask what "unlimited internet" means and how much you get before the speed drops. Pete :cheers:

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/package

http://store.dtac.co.th/en/happytouristsim
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Netflix is available in Thailand, though the selection is limited.

I'm not sure any mobile data network around here is capable of running streaming video though.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Have used all three service providers and am now using True as my main mobile smartphone package. They have reasonable wifi at most places throughout the country so that keeps your data usage at a reasonable level. Went from 899 to a 299 package (120 min talk, 750mb fast internet, speed drops after this but is unlimited. I spend most of my time within wifi reach so this is the cheapest. I don't talk much so not a problem.
DTAC is my standby using a top-up card. Can call overseas at reasonable cost so using it in a 2G phone permanently left in the car. Maintenance for SIM is 20B/month. Good mainly in city areas, upcountry coverage and wifi poor.
AIS a bit of a minefield, stopped using long ago. You get a lot of incoming sms and these can drain your package value if you are not careful.

Charges do not deviate very much from the packages provided though with a netsim (mainly for internet use) you will be charged a lot more per minute on voice and sms calls. As I am resident I use a monthly voice/net package.

Note: Also use DTAC for GPS tracking module in the car as AIS has been having problems with supporting bandwidth. Tracking company withdrew all AIS SIMs and replaced with DTAC.

Will be a happy camper next week as am getting fiber optic installed at my place in Bangkok; no more wifi wars with my wife and sons :)
วินเชนท์
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

VincentD wrote:Have used all three service providers and am now using True as my main mobile smartphone package. They have reasonable wifi at most places throughout the country so that keeps your data usage at a reasonable level. Went from 899 to a 299 package (120 min talk, 750mb fast internet, speed drops after this but is unlimited. I spend most of my time within wifi reach so this is the cheapest. I don't talk much so not a problem.
DTAC is my standby using a top-up card. Can call overseas at reasonable cost so using it in a 2G phone permanently left in the car. Maintenance for SIM is 20B/month. Good mainly in city areas, upcountry coverage and wifi poor.
AIS a bit of a minefield, stopped using long ago. You get a lot of incoming sms and these can drain your package value if you are not careful.

Charges do not deviate very much from the packages provided though with a netsim (mainly for internet use) you will be charged a lot more per minute on voice and sms calls. As I am resident I use a monthly voice/net package.

Note: Also use DTAC for GPS tracking module in the car as AIS has been having problems with supporting bandwidth. Tracking company withdrew all AIS SIMs and replaced with DTAC.

Will be a happy camper next week as am getting fiber optic installed at my place in Bangkok; no more wifi wars with my wife and sons :)
thanks for this info. What tracking company are you using?
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
wpcoe
Professional
Professional

Post by wpcoe »

In my quest to get an iPhone SE to replace a lemon Sony Xperia Z3C phone (long story...) I found that AIS has much better data plans included with voice/data packages than True. I'm hopeless at navigating the AIS and TrueMove web sites to find the plans, but I have in front of me two brochures I picked up in the AIS shop at MV last week:

One has a 4G MAX SPEED promo:

Code: Select all

B488 = 10GB 4G/3G data +  200 mins of phone calls + AIS WiFi
 B688 = 20GB 4G/3G data +  300 mins of phone calls + AIS WiFi
 B888 = 30GB 4G/3G data +  400 mins of phone calls + AIS WiFi
B1288 = 50GB 4G/3G data +  600 mins of phone calls + AIS WiFi
B1888 = 75GB 4G/3G data + 1500 mins of phone calls + AIS WiFi
The other has a 4G Smart Deal which has lower data amounts, but has an extra 1,000 minutes of talk-time, but I think that's only to other AIS users? This deal is the one I'll be locked into to receive a B4,800 discount on an iPhone SE I have reserved, which will be paid in a couple days when my number is MNP'd from TrueMove to AIS.
buksida

Post by buksida »

wpcoe wrote:In my quest to get an iPhone SE to replace a lemon Sony Xperia Z3C phone (long story...)
What was the problem with the Xperia? Have been looking at one of those to replace my ageing Samsung. (can you post your experiences with it here ?)
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Hinway
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Hinway »

I pay 100b per month ,no lock in,unlimited data from Cat. Has been OK for the last six months.Use 'Whats up 'for calls overseas.