January 1 Internet update could leave millions in the cold

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

January 1 Internet update could leave millions in the cold

Post by hhfarang »

When midnight strikes on Jan. 1, 2016, a new Internet security standard goes into effect. The cryptographic hashing algorithm that encrypts websites to help keep them secure will be updated. While this is good news for many Web users, for millions of people around the globe-- primarily in developing countries -- the security upgrade could leave them in the lurch.

What's the problem? Researchers determined that SHA-1, the current standard encryption algorithm, would no longer be safe from hackers by year's end. As a result, the CA/Browser Forum, a group that consists of certificate authorities and industry browser leaders like Firefox and Microsoft, announced that SHA-1 certificates would no longer be issued. In its place would be the stronger SHA-2, which will help make sites more secure for virtually all Internet users in the U.S. and other Western countries, but which is not compatible with mobile devices that are more than five years old -- bad news for people in mostly developing countries who rely on older-model phones for Internet access, Matthew Prince, co-founder and CEO of web security firm CloudFlare, told CBS News.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/january-1-2 ... -millions/
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: January 1 Internet update could leave millions in the cold

Post by dtaai-maai »

Millions of people prevented from accessing Facebook from their mobile phones...

I suppose they could use the time to get a life.
This is the way
HHCanuck
Professional
Professional

Post by HHCanuck »

dtaai-maai wrote:Millions of people prevented from accessing Facebook from their mobile phones...

LOL coming from a man with 8k + posts.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

HHCanuck wrote:
dtaai-maai wrote:Millions of people prevented from accessing Facebook from their mobile phones...

LOL coming from a man with 8k + posts.
:lach: :thumb:

Nice one.