The Digital Surgery (computer questions/problems here)

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: The Digital Surgery

Post by Homer »

Descriptions in Firefox bookmarks end Dec 11 with Firefox v64. Current version (v62) doesn't show them, but they exist. According to release notes for v62:

Removed the description field for bookmarks. Users who have stored descriptions using the field may wish to export these descriptions as html or json files, as they will be removed in a future release.

Description field can be populated by the web site builder. Until v61, users could overwrite it when saving bookmarks. If that info is useful to you, and you're willing to either: 1) import it into another browser that supports descriptions, or 2) use a text editor to locate the info in a html file of exported bookmarks, export them before upgrading to v64.

Why is Mozilla doing this? They slow down Firefox until it stops responding or hangs, and they're not very useful.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/6 ... easenotes/
For the real techies: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1402890
LolaBeltran
Professional
Professional

Thai popup ad company

Post by LolaBeltran »

My computer has picked up a pop up bug in Thai!
MOST annoying!!

WORK IN THE WORLD title of one page. . .seems to supply from a trash can of different pages

I broke the address above so it doesnt highlight and click in. . .but it looks something like this.

My Ad blocker doesnt catch it.

Please for any ideas how to get rid of it!
If I can help it, I dont want to do a system restore.
It isnt listed under "programs"

Any help appreciated!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Download ADWcleaner and scan your system, it should remove it: https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
LolaBeltran
Professional
Professional

Post by LolaBeltran »

WOW. . .that was fast!
Both your reply and the ADWcleaner.
Not sure yet if it did the job, but it worked very fast and is the first such program I have experienced that didnt require a long download and a lot of subsequent instructions.
I have Adblock plus installed . .it doesnt seem to catch all ads though. I see an ad ( from google) over on the right as I type this, but that is probably not blockable.
LolaBeltran
Professional
Professional

Post by LolaBeltran »

Nope. Didnt work.
Damn things still popping in.

OK I now realize why it didnt work . . .I needed to do a bunch of clicking first. I have done that. Lets see if it works now

I remember once upon a time being able to locate the "exe" thingies ( sorry to use technical language here) and deleting them by hand. Where would I do that? Can it still be done?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Try resetting the browsers back to default, it could be an extension or plugin that has hijacked your browser so try checking there also.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
LolaBeltran
Professional
Professional

Post by LolaBeltran »

OK I am gonna see what happens when I log on tonight.
Am I correct in saying that the google type ads like the one in the box on the right ( between the exchange rates and the latest topics boxes . . .now trying to sell me real estate ( before it was a dating service) can not be blocked?
buksida

Post by buksida »

The google ads are not malware, this site needs them to pay for its hosting bill and stay online. You have malware which something different and needs cleaning.
LolaBeltran
Professional
Professional

Post by LolaBeltran »

OK The ADW cleaner didnt work. When I logged on just now I was treated to more of these crudely drawn body images with various parts highlighted. ( among other things) They are in Thai and obviously some kind of local effort to sell herbals. Doesnt anybody else get these? And what might be the next step in getting rid of them?
Buksi . .I figured as much with the Google ads. So far nothing has popped up there in which I have the slightest interest.
Easy to ignore.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

What browser? Do you get the same problem with a different browser?
LolaBeltran
Professional
Professional

Post by LolaBeltran »

I am using Chrome. Just checked Chrome settings and nothing seems useful there. Let me see if it happens with Firefox. I remember in the old days there was a section where all the "exe" addresses appeared with dates etc and you could go in and delete them. Is there still such a place on my PC?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Not really sure what you mean by exe addresses. If you mean your extensions, click the 3 dots, top right of the screen, then More Tools, then Extensions.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

CTRL+ALT+DEL > task manager

This will show you all running processes and what is consuming your resources, but may not show malware that has hijacked your browser.

You can't go deleting random executables without knowing exactly what each one does.
LolaBeltran
Professional
Professional

Post by LolaBeltran »

OK Clicked extensions. Only three extensions there and all legit.
Task manager . .services . . .brings up a whole list of items. I would have to know which is the culprit to do anything there. Hate to take up your time here, and I appreciate your suggestions and willingness to help. Maybe a system restore to an earlier time will do the trick. I cant believe that I am the only one being plagued by these curious ads. . .I willl try for a screen shot on the next one.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

So... Does your problem happen with Firefox?