The i-things - Apple devices and software thread

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Re: The I-things, Apple devices and software, thread

Post by J.J.B. »

You're clearly using more of the Apple TV's OS than I know how to access. I've been a little underwhelmed by my new ATV4 but I run my media from a Drobo Thunderbolt RAID through my desktop Mac because of the early ATV's lack of flexibilty without jail-breaking them and so I never got round to using a standalone NAS.

In Thailand we have a few ATV 3s that we bought in the US or UK, not because of price but because Apple didn't sell the ATV in Thailand until quite recently. I don't know what tax has to do with it or why the ATV is singled out for a higher rate compared with other Apple products.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Interesting story about the US government asking Apple to put a 'back door' into their smart device OS.
The United States government has demanded that Apple take an unprecedented step which threatens the security of our customers. We oppose this order, which has implications far beyond the legal case at hand.

This moment calls for public discussion, and we want our customers and people around the country to understand what is at stake.
https://www.apple.com/customer-letter/
PeteC

Re: The I-things (Apple devices) thread

Post by PeteC »

Khundon1975 wrote:If you are thinking of getting your iPhone repaired by a non authorized repair company, think again, as your phone may end up as unusable!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35502030
Apple apologises for iPhone 'error 53' and issues fix

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35611756
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

prcscct :thumb: Thanks for that link, saw it on the news yesterday.

It seems, that like most large companies, you need to hit them where it hurts, before they do anything.

Personally, I think these couple of quotes from the posted link and many other peoples posts on the WWW, may have made Apple sit up and take notice.

"Apple had even faced a class action lawsuit led by a Seattle-based firm over error 53-disabled phones"

"Perhaps my sentiment of a week ago or so (that I would not buy an iPhone 6), which generated so much complaining by people with huge numbers of posts, in its small way helped to prod Apple into fixing this," wrote one user, risandy, following news of the fix".

As for Plengs post on the "backdoor" into the Apple OS system, well, they (the US Government) forced all the banks around the world to reveal those with hidden, private bank accounts in tax havens, to be listed and sent to the US government. I see no difference with this Apple OS.

What the US government want, sooner or later they get, just by using brute force.

We even have that tw@t Trump getting in on the issue, demanding that apple open the iPhone of the terrorists in a recent shooting in the US.
Once the US Government are given the ability to get around the encryption of these phones, no persons information anywhere in the world will be safe.

:cuss:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Maybe you Iguys or Igirls can help me with something. My wife has an Iphone but is I-literate. She is in Thailand and I sent her a pdf document email attachment and she can't figure out how to open it. She says she downloaded it but when she presses the file name to open she gets a message saying something about needing wifi or bluetooth on to use "air drop". She has no clue what air drop is and she is in a location with no wifi.

So how can she open the pdf on her phone, bearing in mind that she also is not able do download any apps that didn't come on her phone because of a messed up Itunes account that she cannot log into. :cuss: :banghead:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Airdrop is a useful feature for transferring files between two devices via WiFi or Bluetooth. I believe it is an Apple-only feature and my own experience could be described as "patchy". Your wife is getting this prompt because she is pressing and holding the file in the attachment and invoking the "action" menu for attached files, the first of which is Airdrop.

To open a pdf she does need to download it fully. The icon will appear in the email but it may not have downloaded fully and if she's in an area with no WiFi the only way she could do that is via the cellular (3G or 4G) network. If it us a US phone and SIM card then my guess is that "Data Roaming" is off, because it's hugely expensive when abroad, which means the pdf will not download, even if she can see the icon.

That she is invoking the action menu does not guarantee the file is available because there are other actions on that menu too, unrelated to sharing. If the pdf is fully downloaded, a single, simple tap on the file should open it in the iOS native pdf viewer.
Wilde
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Thanks J.J.B.

She's in Issan using her U.S. phone with an AIS sim card that she got at the airport. I'll try to talk her through it. When she is travelling I understand how frustrated IT help desk personnel get when working over the phone or through texts with a tech-less person! :cuss: :banghead:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
HHCanuck
Professional
Professional

Post by HHCanuck »

Honestly why are I-pads such a pain to transfer a video from a PC. My daughter asked me to put a video on her i-pad. Honestly I tried everything. Drag and drop didn't work. i-tunes wouldn't let me transfer it. Why does it have to be so difficult. Finally I had to use a third party software that could do it but not before converting it to MP4. Wow Android is so much easier just drag and drop any format.

Rant Over sorry for venting.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Apple's iOS is very picky about what video formats it will play. Basically anything that has been encoded in h.264 and wrapped in *.mov or *.mp4 format. So, no AVI, MKV, WMV codecs and file formats plus many more. If iTunes can play it then it should transfer over to an iPad although there are exceptions to that too, related to bitrate and size.

Yes it is a ball-ache and Apple would rather you stream video to a device than copy it across. Check out Plex, which is a really versatile streaming server you can install on just about anything and stream to just about anything.
Wilde
Jack Sprat

Post by Jack Sprat »

J.J.B. wrote:Apple's iOS is very picky about what video formats it will play. Basically anything that has been encoded in h.264 and wrapped in *.mov or *.mp4 format. So, no AVI, MKV, WMV codecs and file formats plus many more. If iTunes can play it then it should transfer over to an iPad although there are exceptions to that too, related to bitrate and size.

Yes it is a ball-ache and Apple would rather you stream video to a device than copy it across. Check out Plex, which is a really versatile streaming server you can install on just about anything and stream to just about anything.
Just one of the plethora of reasons I would never use a fruit product.....I like to do, what I want to do, and not be told what I can or cannot do.
:cuss: :guns: :banghead:
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

It's worth pointing out this is my amateur assessment of what Apple would 'rather' and not some kind of inside track I have on corporate strategy for video distribution!
:roll:
Wilde
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

"The magic accessory that gives your iPhone expandable memory"

https://bgr.com/2016/03/14/wireless-fla ... le-memory/

(works for android devices too)
buksida

Post by buksida »

My mother has an iPad (yeah ... I know), I want to copy some photos and stuff off it onto my laptop WITHOUT using iTunes. Any idea how? Have tried a couple of online software solutions but none of them worked.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Send them to your e-mail first and then copy from there. I use both ipad and iphone, works fine.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Over 1000 images, figured it out now cheers.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson