Windows 10 Developments

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: Windows 10 Developments

Post by hhfarang »

"Not seeing the 'Get Windows 10' icon on your PC? Here's a possible fix"

http://www.zdnet.com/article/not-seeing ... YHFb1d24ec
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

Homer, presumably you don't use any Android device as you have no control over updates for the operating system, or, indeed for many of the programs you install. Indeed, not even control over which programs start when powered up (unless rooted). Given that android is now installed on many more devices than windows, and Google have a policy of discarding versions very quickly and insisting hardware manufacturers should create patches for serious android security flaws, it seems to me that MS have been far more responsible over the years. My 2 baht worth.

Homer wrote:
hhfarang wrote:Comment: Is Microsoft really going to do something right for a change?
Not in one aspect. Win 10 Home version will not include some features from versions 7 and 8, including Win Media Center. The troubling new feature is the user will have no control over OS updates, unless the box isn't connected to the net. Between how often updates cause more harm than good, possible (inevitable?) changes in copyright controls from the DCMA or whomever, and nothing to stop them from adding nagware or ads, Microsoft could do numerous wrong things. Obviously, their control would also allow installing spying software, but one would have to be paranoid to fear secret data collection by the government working with a company providing customers with any sort of communications.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly ... windows-8/
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

fft100 wrote:Homer, presumably you don't use any Android device
fft100, presumably you hijacked a thread about Win 10 because you had nothing relevant to contribute.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

"Windows 10 Coming On USB Sticks At No Extra Cost"

http://www.valuewalk.com/2015/06/window ... usb-stick/
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

"Windows 10 Upgrades Cannot Be Stopped"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly ... r=yahootix
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Microsoft has said that Windows 10 owners can expect to get free updates for the “supported lifetime of the device”. Leaked documents say 'lifetime' will be from 2 to 4 years. Previous announcements said 'lifetime' was associated with form factor (e.g., tablet, notebook, desktop), now it's associated with customer type.

Most people have no clue how to install an operating system. Instead they buy a new machine after 4-5 years. Is Microsoft planning on surprising home users 18 months into Win 10 by saying that in 6 months you'll have to buy the next version?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly ... 0-charges/
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^ More details/questions from the same journalist:

"'Free' Windows 10 Has 3 Massive Unanswered Questions"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly ... estions/2/
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

I'm amazed - and disappointed - that Buksida hasn't had a few words to say on this yet.
3 years ago he finally convinced me to ditch IE. After that I ditched Windows as well. IE was even then playing up and allegedly unsafe. Windows seemed to be issuing updates almost for the sake of it, and generally causing their users grief.
And it's still happening. I wonder why they were recommending reserving issues of 10 for a start - Was it simply to make 10 look more desirable? Then they say it will be available free on memory sticks? That sounds more like desperation than sound marketing.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I haven't used Windows 10 yet and am still on 7 so can't comment. From reading the article above though it looks like M$ are taking the Apple route: we will control your software, not you.

IE still remains the most dangerous browser available though - use it at your peril.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

buksida wrote:it looks like M$ are taking the Apple route: we will control your software, not you.
But with far more rollbacks and emergency bug fixes.
Chazz14
Professional
Professional

Post by Chazz14 »

Windows 10 Service Pack 1... Come on down!
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Homer wrote:
buksida wrote:it looks like M$ are taking the Apple route: we will control your software, not you.
But with far more rollbacks and emergency bug fixes.

Thanks Buksi! I knew you were there somewhere... but to comment on Homers post there about emergency bug fixes. I do recall one time maybe 7 years ago having to phone Microsoft Support in desperation about a serious bug which was throwing me into that alien world of white writing on a black screen all the time. The ensuing telephone call was a nightmare, mainly because I seemed to be speaking to someone in the States - or maybe New Delhi - whatever - who was either alone on a night shift or really didn't have a clue. Or probably both.
My ensuing phone bill simply added insult to injury.
At least Microsoft are now trying to butter up their customers online. (I do still run a Hotmail account) but it isn't enough buttering up to fool anyone IMO.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

From all the people complaining about forced automatic updates.... what is the current configuration when it comes to updates on your Windows 7 or 8 machines?
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Chazz14 wrote:Windows 10 Service Pack 1... Come on down!
My understanding is Win 10 will be continually updated, so no Service Packs - at least for home users. I can't imagine large businesses putting up with that, but on the other hand, what alternative do they have?
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

what alternative do they have?
I think there are several distros of Linux that would suffice and be much safer, namely Ubuntu and Mint. I've been using Ubuntu as my primary surfing OS for a couple of years now and no worries about viruses or crashes (other that the occasional FireFox crash) and I just leave the machine on 24/7 so no need to wait for startup every day. I only use Windows when travelling or when a website, program, or peripheral demands it.

I think you can do pretty much everything with Linux that you can do with Windows and it (as well as all software applications) are free. You can even run it from a thumb drive if you just want to try it out. There is a learning curve but the interfaces are getting better all the time making it easier.