The scourge of Facebook

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Facebook SUCKS

Post by richard »

MajorBloodnok wrote:Hello,

I have been active on FB for three years, compiling topical photo albums and making friends
with like-minded FB users.

It all seems to have come a cropper. :cry:

A hostile hacker or perhaps FB employee has installed a nasty computer bug
that practically amounts to a permanent lockout. :cuss:

I am asked to 'unpublish' a racist logo that I definitely did NOT post on any FB page.
Then I am asked to 'unpublish' a page that I definitely did NOT set up. :cuss:

The catch-22 however is that when I click on 'Yes' for 'Unpublish', it's not registered,
and I keep on being asked to decide for one of the two options. :banghead:

This type of FB bug is not covered by any of the FB help pages.

I have written a letter to their head office, but there has been no reaction so far.
Obviously FB does not care about customer satisfaction, and customer friendliness
is anathema to them. :cuss:

There is a life before and after Facebook! Though I hate having to part from my FB 'friends'. :(

Any similar negative experiences? - I am sure!

Kind regards,

MB aka 'Mike the Fritz'
I'm on FB and do not have any problems.
Maybe your virus software checker is crap.

Well we can always resort to phone or a letter in the post
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
daddee
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Facebook SUCKS

Post by daddee »

MajorBloodnok wrote:Hello,

I have been active on FB for three years, compiling topical photo albums and making friends
with like-minded FB users.

It all seems to have come a cropper. :cry:

A hostile hacker or perhaps FB employee has installed a nasty computer bug
that practically amounts to a permanent lockout. :cuss:

I am asked to 'unpublish' a racist logo that I definitely did NOT post on any FB page.
Then I am asked to 'unpublish' a page that I definitely did NOT set up. :cuss:

The catch-22 however is that when I click on 'Yes' for 'Unpublish', it's not registered,
and I keep on being asked to decide for one of the two options. :banghead:

This type of FB bug is not covered by any of the FB help pages.

I have written a letter to their head office, but there has been no reaction so far.
Obviously FB does not care about customer satisfaction, and customer friendliness
is anathema to them. :cuss:

There is a life before and after Facebook! Though I hate having to part from my FB 'friends'. :(

Any similar negative experiences? - I am sure!

Kind regards,

MB aka 'Mike the Fritz'
wow, never heard of this... have you tried logging in from another computer? probably not gonna help, but.... good luck!
JeanJean
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Alternatives to Facebook

Post by JeanJean »

Bored to my back teeth with facebook, deactivated my account. Was very convenient but mundane as watching paint dry. I'll see what Ello has to offer and report back if anyone is interested?
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Alternatives to Facebook

Post by dtaai-maai »

JeanJean wrote: Was very convenient but mundane as watching paint dry.
Good analogy really, because just as no one forces you to sit and watch paint drying, there is no earthly reason to respond to all the random links and notifications you get through FB.

Happily ensconced in Thailand, I quite enjoy the occasional browse of the goings on of friends and family in the UK and elsewhere. I've contacted and been contacted by a number of old friends and colleagues - in most cases, you exchange a couple of catch-up messages (what have you been up to for the last 20-30-40 years?) and that's it, but nothing wrong with that.

I recently changed my marital status on FB - despite being married for 6 years already! - and received a flood of congratulations... this led to some hilarious exchanges!

The other day I had a message from a cousin I'd been out of touch with for 15 years. It's a very different world these days and if used properly, FB and other sites can be very useful.
This is the way
buksida

Re: The scourge of Facebook

Post by buksida »

Mod note: I've tweaked the title of this thread so we can use it as a general one to post articles on the negative impact and underhanded practices of Facebook as a warning and reference for those that seem to be blindingly addicted to it.

For a happier life, give up Facebook
People who go a week without using Facebook feel happier than others, a study says Always envious? Got a non-existent social life and struggle to concentrate? All this might be down to Facebook if you believe a study showing those who go a week without using the social network feel happier than others.

Carried out by the Happiness Research Institute, the study involved a sample of 1,095 people in Denmark who were divided into two groups, half of whom continued using Facebook while the others stopped.

"We focused on Facebook because it is the social media that most people use across age groups," Meik Wiking, HRI's chief executive told AFP Tuesday in Copenhagen, the Danish capital.

After a week, those people who hadn't been on Facebook said they were more satisfied with their lives, with 88 percent of them describing themselves as "happy" compared with 81 percent from the second group.

Some 84 percent said they appreciated their lives compared with 75 percent in the other group, and only 12 percent described themselves as dissatisfied, compared with 20 percent among those who continued using Facebook.

At the end of the experiment, the abstainers reported having a richer social life and fewer difficulties in concentrating, while the others reported no such change. "Instead of focusing on what we actually need, we have an unfortunate tendency to focus on what other people have," the authors of the study wrote.

In other words, Facebook users are 39 percent more likely to feel less happy than non-users.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolog ... 8E?ocid=sf

Facebook is slowly eating your phone's operating system
http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/apps/ ... ing-system
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
dalmatiandave
Professional
Professional

Post by dalmatiandave »

Don't tweet, blog or do Facebook. Thinking of giving up forums as well to enrich my great life further ........
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I use facebook, but 90% is drivel. I've learned to block out most the junk posts of cute dogs, and babies, etc.

I do find it useful for certain things, keeping up with family, getting some links to items of interest for me.

Same with forums, there is a lot of posts that I am simply not interested in. I ignore these, and have found great info, and people on them.

Like my e-mails, a lot is junk (in my usage) but feel it is useful for certain things and, within reason, makes my life easier.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

The Happiness Institute? lol ffs.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, like something out of Monty Python :D
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

I think I'm right in saying that the Danes are the happiest nation on the planet anyway so I don't see this marginal result as anything ground-breaking.

Everything in moderation...
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Yesterday the MU channel had a documentary about the career of Paul Scholes. Towards the end he said something like "...I really don't understand the questions I get.....why does everyone want to know what I'm doing....If I'm going to the pub I'm going to the pub....I'm not telling everyone about it so don't even ask...."

Kind of says it all. The introduction of FB must have made him cringe! :D Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Facebook - soooooooooooooooooo much crap written by members - ITG I never started this social media stuff !!
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
buksida

Post by buksida »

12227197_1226205177405883_3488504279214542796_n.jpg
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
MajorBloodnok
Suspended
Suspended

Post by MajorBloodnok »

Hello,

well I finally decided to open a new FB account.
As my old FB albums were public, I could transfer my photos to the new account
which took me a couple of months.

Then one day I got the shock of my life. My new account was blocked, too.
Obviously someone had reported me doubting my identity.
Fortunately mailing a copy of my passport settled the matter.

Kind regards,

MB
A GRATEFUL GUEST OF THE KINGDOM OF THAILAND & HER PEOPLE
buksida

Post by buksida »

This is quite amusing ...

What’s the real difference between what men and women post on Facebook?
File this under “reinforcing stereotypes“: these scientists use word clouds created from the Facebook messages of 75,000 people to reveal not only the differences between men and women (fighting, football and xbox vs. babies, emoticons, and shopping), but between introverts and extroverts (anime and computers vs. parties and ‘chillin’). If this hasn’t paralyzed you from depression, continue reading for a peek at the rest of the word clouds in all their glory.
fig3.png
fig3.png (220.49 KiB) Viewed 6337 times
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/serio ... skU5-a2aHs

In my experience ... (I loathe FB and use it rarely but these are my findings):

Men
Football
Motorbikes
Beer/nightlife
Politics

Women
Selfies
Food
Cats/dogs/babies
Shopping (shoes/bags)
More selfies