The scourge of Facebook

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Big Boy

Re: The scourge of Facebook

Post by Big Boy »

It should be under News Feed in the left hand column.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

I think I opted for "freedom" and spend far more effort doing better things than destroying precious time and grey matter scrolling through reams of shite on farcebook. Good luck guys.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Quite fascinating that I have never used that facility before now. I think I'll carry on ignoring it!

But thanks for showing me where it is! :D
Talk is cheap
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I don't use Farcebook, so what does this mean?
………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
Facebook shocks with EPL capture

https://www.bangkokpost.com/tech/local- ... pl-capture

Facebook's astonishing £200 million (8.78 billion baht) deal for English Premier League football broadcasts will change the entire industry for digital and pay TV in Thailand in the near future, say media analysts.

The world's most powerful social media platform just clinched the deal, acquiring streaming rights to broadcast all 380 Premier League matches for the 2019-2020 season. Facebook plans to broadcast in Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos.

Thai media analysts said Facebook's strong move will make it a giant rival of digital TV and pay-TV operators and it will finally become a TV station.

Mana Treelayapewat, dean of the school of communication arts at the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce, said Facebook allows users, including major digital TV operators, to broadcast their content for free of charge and Facebook recently asked Thai digital TV operators to co-produce content running on its platform.

"Obviously Facebook is going to beat up digital TV and pay-TV operators by acquiring the streaming rights to these popular football matches," said Mr Mana.

Facebook has been very successful in advertising on its application and will be able to earn more revenue with this strategy.

BeIN Sports has the exclusive rights to broadcast English Premier League football matches. TrueVisions has secured an exclusive sub-licence from BeIN Sports to broadcast in Thailand for three years from 2016.

Mr Mana said that the move was worrying for Thailand's media industry because another giant search engine platform, Google, is expected to launch a new feature to compete with Facebook, probably by using YouTube as a content broadcaster.

All of these are disruptive technologies threatening Thailand's media industry.

He said mass media in Thailand has been mainly digital TV, but Facebook and Google have increasingly dominated the market, severely disrupting the industry as more audiences shift to online platforms.
This includes the way ad agencies redefine their media spending because Facebook and Google can show audience statistics more precisely, which makes agencies' work easier.

"Audiences and ad sponsors are expected to fade away from the traditional TV platform because online media can show more accurate data in terms of insights and statistics," he said.

On the other hand, Time Chuastapanasiri, a media analyst, said Facebook does not only beat digital TV industry but every platform in the country, cable and satellite TV, pay-TV and it will totally change traditional TV consumption.

Facebook Live expanded into Thai TV industry with features that are convenient for users, broadcasting content through smartphones without the need to invest in additional equipment has lured viewership during primetime.
"Facebook will probably become the main TV station in Thailand's the future, by digital TV operators being tools or content provider," said Mr Time.

If Facebook Live becomes a TV station, the digital TV industry will be seriously impacted, he said.
Siwat Chawareewong, chief executive of advertising media company Group M, said that it is not surprising that Facebook has entered the live sport broadcast arena as it has a strong audience base.

The EPL rights owner, however, gave broadcasting licences to other media channels as well.
Mr Siwat said it will no longer divide traditional broadcasting from online because content makers want to distribute their content on every single channel.

"This is the age of multi-screens, by which content will become more personalised and segmented," he said, adding that football fans still have the option to watch their favourite team on big TV screens, smart TVs, or mobile phones.
Advertisers and brands will spend money on platforms and content that have strong viewership, Mr Siwat said.

Jarit Sidhu, head of operations at research firm IDC Thailand, said Facebook's move is interesting as it is attempting to have its own content in live sport streaming, similar to Amazon Prime.

Content providers will move to build their own platforms, particularly movie content, similar to Disney, Netflix or other subscription video-on-demand players. Sports content is the only arena where there is no dominant player in the online platform.

However, unlike Facebook, Amazon Prime has a subscription model that can earn money.
"We have to see if Facebook's revenue model is free with sponsorship and advertising or is subscription-based," said Mr Jarit.
Mr Jarit said Facebook needs to prepare reliable streaming quality to satisfy users.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ I posted this in Sports - Premiere League 2018-19 as well. I think significant enough to have it in both places. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
JWWhite
Professional
Professional

Post by JWWhite »

Face Book’s Zuckerberg is now the third richest man on the planet passing Warren Buffett in billions.
He also might be the most powerful man on the planet simply because Face Book has more users than Russia, China and the USA combined.
I watched the recent Congressional interrogation of him and except for a few, they fawned over him like starry-eyed teenagers, because with his power, he is the last man that vote hungry politicians want to upset.
MY in BS full of BS.
“When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.” Stephen Jay Gould
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I had a thought this morning that there must be a few million dead people who still have a FB account. I know two personally. I guess if the next of kin doesn't know the password the accounts will remain as long as Facebook is in existence. They are advertising to these dead people and subsequently reporting these advertising statistics to their clients to justify or increase their rates. Great business model if you can get away with it! :shock: :banghead: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

PeteC wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:03 am I had a thought this morning that there must be a few million dead people who still have a FB account. I know two personally. I guess if the next of kin doesn't know the password the accounts will remain as long as Facebook is in existence. They are advertising to these dead people and subsequently reporting these advertising statistics to their clients to justify or increase their rates. Great business model if you can get away with it! :shock: :banghead: Pete :cheers:
After a period of time, I don't know how long, of inactivity, FB deletes the account. My wife told me that, as that sort of information exceeds my technical knowledge. Your post did give me a good laugh though.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

A next of kin can be nominated to close your account upon your death.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

handdrummer wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:56 am
PeteC wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:03 am I had a thought this morning that there must be a few million dead people who still have a FB account. I know two personally. I guess if the next of kin doesn't know the password the accounts will remain as long as Facebook is in existence. They are advertising to these dead people and subsequently reporting these advertising statistics to their clients to justify or increase their rates. Great business model if you can get away with it! :shock: :banghead: Pete :cheers:
After a period of time, I don't know how long, of inactivity, FB deletes the account. My wife told me that, as that sort of information exceeds my technical knowledge. Your post did give me a good laugh though.
I wonder what "inactivity" means? If someone visits the page does the clock get reset to zero? One of those I know is going on 3 years now. My wife tells me his wife visits the page from time to time in memory to look at the old photos and things he used to say/post. His one child is just now entering teenage years and a daughter was only 2 when he passed away. For them it's an archive of memories and knowledge about their Dad. Pete
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

It does not go after a period of inactivity, you have to intentionally delete it.

Sh*** I hate FaceBook
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

It has now been changed, you go to settings, general, manage accounts, legacy contact or delete account.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

StevePIraq wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:31 am It does not go after a period of inactivity, you have to intentionally delete it.

Sh*** I hate FaceBook
I (she) stand(s) corrected.

I quit FB 2 yrs. ago. I told everyone if they wanted to have a conversation they could contact me via email. That's one way to find out who your friends are. 6 friends are enough. We actually write about things that interest us as use more than 1 or 2 lines, no photos of food or friends or relatives or pets that we don't know. No advertisements or passing on of OP's platitudes. It's almost like having a real life. :roll:
JWWhite
Professional
Professional

Post by JWWhite »

handdrummer wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:44 pm
StevePIraq wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:31 am It does not go after a period of inactivity, you have to intentionally delete it.

Sh*** I hate FaceBook
I (she) stand(s) corrected.

I quit FB 2 yrs. ago. I told everyone if they wanted to have a conversation they could contact me via email. That's one way to find out who your friends are. 6 friends are enough. We actually write about things that interest us as use more than 1 or 2 lines, no photos of food or friends or relatives or pets that we don't know. No advertisements or passing on of OP's platitudes. It's almost like having a real life. :roll:
I agree.

I don't have a Face book account, my wife has and she regularly gets messages from friends and relatives asking about me and I tell her to tell them to email me and only one or two ever do.
MY in BS full of BS.
“When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.” Stephen Jay Gould
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

It would take Facebook just 18 minutes to pay off its £500,000 fine for the Cambridge Analytica scandal (FB)

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/techands ... ailsignout