Which Mobile Phone?

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Re: Which Mobile Phone?

Post by BaaBaa. »

VincentD wrote:have in my hand a Samsung Galaxy 2 (rooted - meaning you can use other applications than Samsung).
Huh?

Bit of misinformation there. I've not got 1 Samsung app, I had a couple before I was rooted that came with the phone.

You don't have to be rooted to use the majority of the 10s of 1000s of apps in the store.

Samsung hardly make any apps.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Whaler wrote:You may not want all the bells and whistles but don't underestimate how the new smartphones with touch screens etc make things easier especially if you use reading glasses

The ability to change font size on the fly in sms screen, big keyboards and large photo contacts helps to keep your glasses in your pocket...
I recently bought a basic HTC smartphone for this very reason, I can read text messages when I'm out in the evening when I'm not carrying my reading glasses. Apart from that I wouldn't have bothered as I don't use it as a smartphone and actually for making phone calls it's easier on my 7 year old Nokia which I still use for work. The main thing I miss is that with the Nokia it's so easy to make calls using speed dial where you can just use one key. I also find the on screen keyboard on the HTC to be very hard to use quickly as the 'keys' are too small to hit every time.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

BaaBaa. wrote:
margaretcarnes wrote:Used price in the UK around £30.
Cutting edge.

Look at the state of it.

My 4 year old son would bin that.
Yup I'm sure he would - and there's a lot of 4 year olds I would bin! But there's still plenty of people swear by them. Just seemed to fit the bill for Mr P as well.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I still use an old Nokia phone not too unlike that for work and the thing is, it's very efficient for actually making phone calls which is, surprisingly in this age, why I need a phone at work.
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

After controlling the urge to go with sleek and sexy, I've opted for a Nokia C2-01.. 2,350 thb

It's light, slips into the pocket easily and has the basic functionality I need. The money I've saved can go towards a Tablet. I like the way people hold a dinner plate out in front of them to take a picture. :naughty:
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

margaretcarnes wrote:Yup I'm sure he would - and there's a lot of 4 year olds I would bin! But there's still plenty of people swear by them. Just seemed to fit the bill for Mr P as well.
:lach:

Mags, 75% of what I say on here is tongue in cheek.

:cheers:
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

BaaBaa. wrote:
margaretcarnes wrote:Yup I'm sure he would - and there's a lot of 4 year olds I would bin! But there's still plenty of people swear by them. Just seemed to fit the bill for Mr P as well.
:lach:

Mags, 75% of what I say on here is tongue in cheek.

:cheers:
Same Same here BaaBaa :wink:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Finally a mobile phone with a real camera included... or is it a camera with a real mobile phone included? :? :wink:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/06/12 ... gn=generic

My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Somchai Turdsak

Post by Somchai Turdsak »

ImageBought it used in 2001. Still carry it every day. Still works like a champ.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The problem with conventional phones is that you have to pay for calls. Get yourself a Smart Phone, and you can call (including video calling) and text worldwide 24/7 free of charge. A Smart Phone can soon pay for itself.

My son's (a Samsung Galaxy Young) cost him 3,200 Baht, and he is in touch with his mates in the UK several times a day.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Get yourself a Smart Phone, and you can call (including video calling) and text worldwide 24/7 free of charge. A Smart Phone can soon pay for itself.
I have a smart phone and I can't do that!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

If you've got a Smart Phone, you can. You just don't know how. Try downloading something like Tango or Viber. Line is the 'in' app in Thailand at the moment for free calling etc.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Maybe BB should mention you and the person you want to contact must be connected to the internet to make the free messaging/calls etc. :thumb:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes and I still have to pay for data use on the smart phone to get online in the first place and that is quite expensive here. I can call a Thai mobile for one euro cent a minute using a pre-paid calling card from a land line where as an unlimited data contract is about fifty euros a month with a smart phone. (I get the land line for free with the rent.)
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

All those 'free' calls assume you will have at least access to a decent wifi source. And not all wifi sources are free. The apps also have a disclaimer stating that the app will not replace the phone (as in no wifi, no can use). Yes, my son also uses these apps. But... if you're in an environment where free wifi is readily available, great. No wifi? Bummer. Also note that a lot of places with wifi need you to subscribe to that particular carrier - and there are quite a few of those around. No subscription, no joy.

Note that I have a wireless router at home (most homes are now connected) so I can use wifi at home. But that's a seperate account and an additional cost over the phone package.

The internet/ wifi package I have ended up with is from True, that sets me back 900 baht a month for the basics - unlimited* internet and access to True wifi whenever around their hotspots. The saving for me is that I pay a fraction of the cost for IDD calls as they now use VOIP through the phone. Why do I do it this way, you may ask? Well, I can call anytime and the phone on the other side will ring. If I use Skype/ Tango/Line /etc both have to be on wifi and both have to be logged on to the app. Not sure if you can call to a land line, either, so difficult to call direct to home. Hence the disclaimer.

unlimited* - only a certain bandwith is at full speed. Exceed the limit and it slows down dramatically. But... you're still connected.
วินเชนท์