Which Mobile Phone?

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Big Boy

Re: Which Mobile Phone?

Post by Big Boy »

What's the problem? A lot of people are connected to Wi-Fi at home these days. Certainly in Hua Hin, there are a lot of establishments that will allow you to have access to free Wi-Fi. I rarely call my son on his telehone number when he's out in Hua Hin - he's nearly always connected somewhere. If he's not, then it's just like calling somebody on their home line when they're not home. However, I just leave a 'free' text message, and he calls me when he's back in range again.

Don't make it sound more difficult that it is. It is simple, and it's free.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes, if you're in town it's easier. We live out in Hin Lek Fai and don't have internet at home so there isn't any available wifi signal nearby and to be honest, I find it easier to just pay the one cent a minute to call someones mobile.
PBbeacher
Professional
Professional

Post by PBbeacher »

Not sure if this is of any use, but I use an S4 with AIS unlimited 3G data package (895B a month) and the connection is super fast (watching streaming vids in HD etc is no problem).
Can use Skype/Viber/Line/Whatsapp etc for free calls back to UK or Oz free and crystal clear, actually more so than dialing mobile>land line.
PBbeacher
Professional
Professional

Post by PBbeacher »

BTW, S4 is pretty high end and costly, but the Samsung Galaxy Grand at around 11,000THB looks pretty good
chopsticks
Guru
Guru

Post by chopsticks »

There seem to several Samsung lower-end variants of the Galaxy range such as S3Mini, Fame, Ace, Ace2 etc.
Which offers the best value ?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

As I've already said, my son's Samsung Galaxy Young at 3200Baht is excellent value for money. OK, it can't do the fast video streaming stuff, but do you need that on a phone? It does most things that most people need for day to day phone use, including all the Wi-Fi stuff.

The other thing, when he loses it as he has done a couple of times, it doesn't break the bank to replace. Locals think it's good enough to steal.

Points 48; Position 20
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

BB
not knocking it, as I am connected to wifi at home in Bangkok, even the local Issan restaurant has wifi. The problem is when I am upcountry, the nearest place 3BB even gets to is 60 km away in Rayong, and the nearest free wifi is 30 km away at the PTT petrol station.

The other concern is battery life. All apps eat away at the battery, and on smart phones especially it is a major concern. This is why I am usually *not* signed on. Apart from the fact that while on the move I won't be in any hotspot for long enough to make even a cursory signal lock.

This is why, like PBeacher, I have another dedicated account just for the mobile. I use True as they seem to have the best coverage for now, dumped DTAC as I couldn't get their signal where I was. 899 baht per month for the convenience and peace of mind.

My other phone still is the Nokia 6230, battery on standby 3 days plus... :)

(Yes, I do have two phones. The 6230 is the company-provided millstone round the neck).
วินเชนท์
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Obviously it's horses for courses, but my son is constantly in touch worldwide with friends (when he's not working of course). If he's out of range, we have 2 options:

- Leave a free text message, and he'll get back to us as soon as he's in range.

- If it's urgent, pay to phone him using his mobile network.

Yes, there's always going to be a bit of mix and match, but if you are a regular user, you can save a fortune making those expensive international calls when Wi-Fi is available. My son makes a point of asking for the Wi-Fi code as soon as he goes anywhere. These are stored in his phone, so it's not often that he's out of range in Hua Hin. It was exactly the same in a backwater like Bang Saphan. We've currently got friends visiting Koh Tao - it's taken them 2 days, but they are connected most of the time now. However, if you don't ask, you'll never be connected.

My wife also makes extensive use of free video calling to the UK. If the other person is out of range, it's no different to them not being home. Leave a text, or call later - it costs nothing.

OK, you might have to charge the phone a little more often, but is that really a big deal? One of our friends currently on Koh Tao keeps a portable battery pack (cost £26) in his bag. It will fully charge his phone 3 times whilst on the move.

Points 48; Position 20
tuktukmike
Guru
Guru

Post by tuktukmike »

BB

Can you buy those portable battery packs in hua hin?.

I have the samsung galaxy s3 and a sony experia which have the same type of charge plug in so one would be handy for both phones.

Ttm
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm sorry TTM, but I don't know. If my phone needs a boost, I plug it into the auxilliary point in the car. However, I was very impressed by my friend's charger.

I did a quick internet search, and immediatly came up with this http://www.powerbuy.co.th/ProductDetail ... B000190333 , so I guess the answer will be yes.

Points 48; Position 20
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

tuktukmike wrote:Can you buy those portable battery packs in hua hin?.
Yes, you can - my gf bought hers at Tesco Lotus, but they're all over MV now and in mobile phone shops.
There are different models at different prices, depending on how many charges the device can deliver.

The gf paid 590 baht for one that will charge her Galaxy S4 twice
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Also at Se-Ed bookshops. Lots of other little gadgets as well.
tuktukmike
Guru
Guru

Post by tuktukmike »

Barry

590bht for just 2 charges, are you sure.

That seems expensive if thats all it can do, I was thinking more of a rechargeable battery pack to be honest.

Ttm
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

tuktukmike wrote:Barry

That seems expensive if thats all it can do, I was thinking more of a rechargeable battery pack to be honest.

Ttm
I think he means that the battery pack will charge the phone twice before itself needing to be recharged.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Pleng wrote:
tuktukmike wrote:Barry

Ttm
I think he means that the battery pack will charge the phone twice before itself needing to be recharged.
Thanks for the clarification, Pleng - that's exactly what I meant....