Which Mobile Phone?

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
robcar
Professional
Professional

Re: Which Mobile Phone?

Post by robcar »

A friend has an Oppo and is quite happy with it.

The beauty of the Motorola is the ability to transfer all of your files, apps, contacts etc. from the old phone to the new one via bluetooth. That's what sold it to me.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The Moto G4 and other new model seems to be available in Singapore if you're headed that way: http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-new ... ch-devices
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

yeah i guess importing would be an option after my arrival as im a lot closer, pity Moto not big in Thai, India seems to be the budget smartphone world capital and they appear to really know their stuff
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

any of you smartphone gurus imported from China? Im thinking Cubot, or can you buy those in Thai? struggling to import to UK before i leave, thanks
Kraka's Dad
Guru
Guru

Post by Kraka's Dad »

When are you leaving?
Amazon have them with next day delivery in UK
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Thanks but I'm not sure they do(deliver next day) in truth I tried that and it seemed to be a ruse.... Have made order now allegedly 7 days... Fingers crossed!

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

ps well it seemed that way for the model i wanted anyway, the ones i didnt want looked next day yes, many thanks
nellyp

Post by nellyp »

thecolonel wrote:any of you smartphone gurus imported from China? Im thinking Cubot, or can you buy those in Thai? struggling to import to UK before i leave, thanks

Try gearbest http://www.gearbest.com/cubot-_gear/. i bought a Homtom 7 Pro from them and the phone is great. Just make sure you check on frequencies of the carriers as that has caused me a little hassle
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I've used gearbest, geekbuying and merimobiles. Always use postal service, with tracking, for delivery. Using a courier like UPS or DHL is likely to result in duty fees, despite the fact that duty should be zero due to China ASEAN FTA. I and a friend once bought a cubot phone each. My model had the battery swell up after two years and I couldn't get a replacement anywhere so had to get a new phone. Friend's cubot (different model) still going strong after 3 years and no battery trouble.

As nellyp says, check frequency bands. Also check reviews for model you think you want. You want to look out for things like battery life between charges, CPU, RAM size at least 2gb now, Android version preferably marshmallow, ota updates available, fluidity of motion on touch screen, speaker volume, microphone sensitivity, proximity sensor, etc etc. Best brands with mid-range models at cheap prices at the moment are probably Xiaomi and Huawei.

Chinese phones often come with a lot of bloatware, and reviews will often point this out. Avoid phones with lots of Chinese bloatware unless you're comfortable rooting to get rid it. Look for phone offered with international ROMs as these will not be full of useless Chinese apps, although they may have other rubbish included.

Some Chinese brands are available in Thailand, Huawei is now quite easy to find, Xiaomi also. Models in Thailand tend to be older models at a higher price. Of course buying locally means you have a better chance of a quick fix if the phone you buy has a problem.

Enough already, I think.

Cheers.
nellyp

Post by nellyp »

hhinner wrote:I've used gearbest, geekbuying and merimobiles. Always use postal service, with tracking, for delivery. Using a courier like UPS or DHL is likely to result in duty fees, despite the fact that duty should be zero due to China ASEAN FTA. I and a friend once bought a cubot phone each. My model had the battery swell up after two years and I couldn't get a replacement anywhere so had to get a new phone. Friend's cubot (different model) still going strong after 3 years and no battery trouble.

As nellyp says, check frequency bands. Also check reviews for model you think you want. You want to look out for things like battery life between charges, CPU, RAM size at least 2gb now, Android version preferably marshmallow, ota updates available, fluidity of motion on touch screen, speaker volume, microphone sensitivity, proximity sensor, etc etc. Best brands with mid-range models at cheap prices at the moment are probably Xiaomi and Huawei.

Chinese phones often come with a lot of bloatware, and reviews will often point this out. Avoid phones with lots of Chinese bloatware unless you're comfortable rooting to get rid it. Look for phone offered with international ROMs as these will not be full of useless Chinese apps, although they may have other rubbish included.

Some Chinese brands are available in Thailand, Huawei is now quite easy to find, Xiaomi also. Models in Thailand tend to be older models at a higher price. Of course buying locally means you have a better chance of a quick fix if the phone you buy has a problem.

Enough already, I think.

Cheers.
Enough already maybe, but a great post. To be hoest, the Homtom had no more bloatwear thananything I have bought in thailand, but you need to be aware when buying abroad. One BIg thing to be aware of with Gearbest is the return policy. Return within a month no return charge, after that it would be $55 for the return (non-refundable). Still, I would buy that way again
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Wow top knowledge people, I'm impressed ! I'm regretting ordering earlier today, shud have consulted the forum earlier and allowed time for feedback... Schoolboy error! I don't suppose you can cancel a PayPal payment within a certain period? I wouldn't mind knowing that anyways if anyone knows? Thanks

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

It's not just what phone to buy, it's where to buy it. Today I went shopping for 2 phones I'd researched. The Samsung store at market village had one on display. Played with it long enough to like the feel and features. Said I wanted to purchase. Sales guy said it's a discontinued model, then directed me to its replacement - which is probably why they had the 'older' one (they're both 2016 models) on display.

Visited 2 more small shops on 3rd floor MV. Both times they opened a sealed box and I immediately knew they were grey market (not intended for sale in Thailand) goods because of no warranty card, no literature of any sort.

TG Phone at Bluport had it in stock with warranty card, Getting Started guide and other literature, and a better price by 600 baht than the small shops at MV.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

I managed to cancel my order from China for cubot note S and got one 2 weeks ago from Amazon UK. Pleased overall especially for £67! Screen is great but camera is average at best, I knew it wasn't a great camera when I bought it but having had it for a fortnight if I had my time again I might pay £120 ish and get a better camera. Plus rear facing speaker is a bit daft. But for surfing net, social media and even as a phone(!) it's great, battery life overall is fab 1.5 to 2 days but the battery meter readings are just bonkers! I will check out TG mobile next week when I get back to HH for winter

Sent from my CUBOT_NOTE_S using Tapatalk
buksida

Post by buksida »

Word of warning on Lenovo phones; 4 months after purchase the camera on my K5 Vibe has clapped out and no longer works, just get a black screen. Tried all the software solutions and it seems to be hardware so I just hope the muppets in Market Village honour their warranty.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

But have you tried a full factory reset? It's a pain I know but I had similar issues with my moto g2(now my back up phone) and that cured it completely... either way good luck at MV I'd be interested to hear what they do...

Sent from my CUBOT_NOTE_S using Tapatalk