Which Mobile Phone?

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
buksida

Re: Which Mobile Phone?

Post by buksida »

JohnD wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:58 am Comparing Samsung J8 and Motorola G5S Plus on PhoneArena website:

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compa ... 0795,10597

The Motorola is only one year older than the Samsung J8, but the Motorola could be considered to have better overall specs? In particular, the Motorola is now updated to Android 8.1.
Thanks for that, comparing the two at a glance the Samsung has a better camera and battery, the Moto a better screen and slightly better cpu. Price is the big difference, around 2,500 baht in favour of the G5S.

Will see if I can find one to look at when next in HH, I wouldn't imagine they're too popular in Thailand.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

TRUE is advertising and selling Motorola heavily. On their TV channel/adverts hourly just about. They have a model called "Z2" that seems to be their top of the line, but not sure really where it sits. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
robcar
Professional
Professional

Post by robcar »

Amazon UK usually have a good 'spec' write-up. There are apparently several ''Z2" versions. Here is one for the European market.

Last edited by robcar on Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Here's one I've never heard of before, "Honor", sub-brand of Huawei. I've had the thought that if a gaming phone is so loaded with power processors and long battery life, it must be great for normal use. They have many other models as well besides gaming. Pete :cheers:

https://www.hihonor.com/global/products ... =honorplay

https://www.androidauthority.com/best-h ... es-828160/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
egiljohann
Amateur
Amateur

Post by egiljohann »

As far as I know Honor phones are not sold over the counter in Thailand. I bought one Honor 8 for my Thai daughter last year from Ali Express. It's been imported from China and Google is installed in forehand. My daughter is absolutely satisfied with it, especially the cameras (it's three of them) She is also very happy with the looks, it's made of tempered glass. :D
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

especially the cameras (it's three of them)
What is the purpose of 3 cameras?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I am not looking for one, but it is like trying to find a new Mia Noi. :shock:
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

What the hell is it with all these phones? Some of them must be like trying to hold a Laptop up to your ear!
I just need a basic phone that can make and receive a call on, maybe take a photo when Somchai runs his motosai under my car, and preferably a bloody battery that can be replaced! Most of all I do not need to spend 20,000 Baht on a heap of features that I cannot use or will ever need, or carry a briefcase around to hold it!

I have a Samsung Android POS that squeaks and farts if I even look at the bloody thing. The loud speaker will not work, in fact if I try and use it the thing gets in a huff and goes even more quieter than normal. The SMS notification will set and make the selected tone, UNTIL an SMS arrives wherein it does jack shit! The stupid volume control is on the side RIGHT WHERE you need to hold the POS and so will go to zero without knowing!

The Nokia 1 looks like it MAY do the job, but some of the reviews are not that flattering.

I had a good OLD Nokia that did all that I needed, but a couple of years ago AIS stuffed up with the new round of bidding and decided that it could no longer support their mixed up system. SO, they took it from me, GAVE me a Chinese basic phone that nobody should be forced to use. It lasted about 6 months before the battery carked it. :cuss:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

I have a Doogee, someone posted warning of 'loaded w/adware', which mine is not. Very happy with mine, and quite inexpensive.

Wife's KingZone, nice, but wouldn't recommend, better options.

Daughter has Xiaomi MI phone, very nice, and I'm a fan of Xiaomi products. Available on LAZ, as authorized vendor. Along with Xiaomi authorized vendor in Krung Thep now.

I wouldn't own any of the name brands pushed here in Thailand; nokia, samsung etc etc.

Do order extra batteries when buying, as they get discontinued as new issues come out.

My wife and daughters next phone, inexpensive and should take a beating. As they have a tendency to abuse their electronics.
https://www.banggood.com/Ulefone-Armor- ... mywishlist
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I doubt that some of these will be available here but a list of top 10 basic phones
https://www.lifewire.com/basic-cell-phones-577534
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Do order extra batteries when buying, as they get discontinued as new issues come out.
This is another gripe! 95% of the new phones do not have a removal battery, which ensures that when it fails, and it will, the whole phone is trash!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

I wouldn't order any electronics that didn't have a battery I could simply replace myself. That's just plain stupid. Lipos from day one, are on borrowed time.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Haven't shopped in a while, but didn't even know they made phone without removable batteries. That really is just silly.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My family and I have had several phones where the battery has died. Replacements have rarely helped, and we've ended up buying a new phone anyway.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:06 pm My family and I have had several phones where the battery has died. Replacements have rarely helped, and we've ended up buying a new phone anyway.
This could be because the software is draining the battery, so not a problem with the battery itself as a replacement one behaves the same.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson