Which Mobile Phone?

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
PeteC

Re: Which Mobile Phone?

Post by PeteC »

Has anyone tried the new Nokia(s) yet with the Microsoft ops system?

A general comment is that what they may be hiding from us is the ease of creating a mobile phone with the capability to run either the Apple, Android or Windows ops system depending upon user preference. That would be wonderful if you could download at will to test capabilities and simply make a change when bored with one or the other.

I would think it's a huge corporate secret that it may not be too hard to produce a phone with this capability. Whoever introduces it first will have the winner of the century. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Moto g, please tell more, never heard of it
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

oakdale160 wrote:Moto g, please tell more, never heard of it
http://www.motorola.co.uk/consumers/mob ... -g-gb.html
Reviews at the bottom of the page.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

One review says under. £135 in UK that would be about 7K baht, what is the price here.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I need a new phone and that Motorola G looks to be a contender. I'm not a fan of smartphones but they don't make decent non-smart ones anymore and the likes of Iphones and Samsung S4's are a bit too expensive unless you're getting them on a contract, I fix airplanes for a living and I'm not going to climb around an aircraft with a 600 euro phone in my pocket.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Steve, if you're looking for an under $100 regular flip phone, look at the Samsung GT-C3520. Full function, light, with camera and fine for an everyday phone. A little bit tougher model is the Rugby II SGH-A847. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

prcscct wrote: I would think it's a huge corporate secret that it may not be too hard to produce a phone with this capability. Whoever introduces it first will have the winner of the century. Pete :cheers:
It's no corporate secret that the phones all run on essentially the same hardware, and making a device which dual or tripple boots into multiple OSes is not an issue (in fact there were some old dual SIM Chinaphones that dual booted between the older Windows Phone 6 and Android 2 around a few years back).

iOS and Windows Mobile are proprietary products. Apple will never give out a licence to a 3rd party to use its operating system so there's no way that you'll ever see iOS apps running on another device unless somebody manages to reverse engineer the APIs and make some kind of abstraction layer (not likely to happen).

Windows mobile is licensable so it's possible a manufacturer would make a device which dual boots between Android and Windows 8 RT (providing Microsoft don't have any licensing restrictions to prevent this happening) and I remember seeing news about a tablet which was planned to do just that, but I think you're overestimating the potential market for such a device anyway. People don't want to restart their devices and boot into different ecosystems just for the sake of running the odd app that isn't available on their main OS - they're much more likely to just go without. Then you have the problem of duplication. Most of the apps you have on one OS would be duplicated on the other, but as the OSs have different methods of storing data, there'd be no way to sync between the two Operating Systems other than where the app specifically supports it. Your SMS conversations would be split between the two different operating systems, depending on which one you were running when you sent/received a given message. Possibly emails too, depending on what type of account you have. You would need to manually duplicate all the info in your contact lists, your website favourites, news feeds. Then there's the memory (human) and time issue. You'd need to remember yourself which OS you prefer/need to boot into to perform a particular function, and be prepared to go through a lengthy boot process every time you switch.

Really, there are only two types of people I see such a device appealing to: app developers, and hardcore geeks who like to do things "because they can"
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

oakdale160 wrote:Moto g, please tell more, never heard of it
An in-depth look at it here. http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g-review-1021.php
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

My S2 decided to give up the ghost over New Year, so faced with the option of no phone upcountry, picked up a Samsung Win duos. Decided not to get a Windows phone as already have a laptop with Win8 on it and find it top-heavy. I can always tether through the phine if I need connectivity anyway.
Have noted some deficiencies compared to the S2 but wasn't willing to fork out the difference for the S4 given that I am not a power user. The second sim slot will come in handy for overseas trips but as it uses a micro sim it may need to be trimmed to size. Newer sims already have a cutout...
วินเชนท์
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

What does----- I can always tether through the phine , mean
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

oakdale160 wrote:What does----- I can always tether through the phine , mean
Probably he means tethering his laptop to his phone to provide internet access, when he is upcountry and away from a wifi connection.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
buksida

Post by buksida »

buksida wrote:Still looking to get one of these, ( Galaxy Mega 5.8 ), all sold out here in Bangsaphan, can anyone tell me if they're available in Hua Hin?
To answer my own question, yes, managed to get one in MV. There was no way of avoiding the 'Hua Hin surcharge' though, all phones are marked up a little here.

:cuss: :cuss: :cuss:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote:no way of avoiding the 'Hua Hin surcharge' though
Know how much it would cost elsewhere, then ask around the various stalls.

A friend found a phone she liked in Petchaburi a few days ago, but they didn't have a case. She decided to wait until she got back to Hua Hin. First couple of stalls wanted 1,200 Baht more, but eventually found somebody willing to match the Petchaburi price.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

I did - not one would budge.

Got fed up after over an hour and swallowed the premium.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Looked around 3rd floor atMV, could not find a MOTO G, any particular place there?