VPN Recommendations and Discussion

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Trevtherev
Amateur
Amateur

Re: VPN Recommendations

Post by Trevtherev »

Based upon the advice on this forum, signed up for nordVPN last week, using the 99 USD 3 year deal. Works like a dream on PC, apple and android devices with the streaming of World Cup from UK working well without so much as single drop off or freeze up.

Great forum, great advice.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Which one did you finally get Buks? I've been using Express for a few years now but as is noted, they are the most expensive with probably performance on a par with some of the less expensive options. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

PIA, $70 for two years.

No problems with it so far, can use it on 5 different devices and they have a whole range of countries to connect to. Haven't even noticed a drop in speed when downloading or streaming.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

I use a VPN 90% of the time, except for the odd occasion I can't access a site, however I have a question.
Using a VPN is supposed to mask your location, my location is set as UK, so why sometimes when I open Gmail or MSN the Thai version comes up, also with MSN I get Thai video adverts.

I have my location set as UK, clear my cache and history every time I log off. The only thing I have related to Thailand is my clock.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
taffinexile

Post by taffinexile »

Because I use IPTV apps to access Sky and BT Sports in uk I’ve stated using Nord. Got the 3year deal for $99 . Haven’t run into any problems yet
In my time of dying all want for you to do is take my body home..... so I can die easy
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

This company is advertising heavily on Facebook. I've never heard about them before. Seems heavily geared towards UK expats and UK shows.

https://www.ukexpatvpn.com
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
gbalague
Novice
Novice

Post by gbalague »

I've been in hua hin for a month now and since being here I have been using the ukexpatvpn.com service and all going ok so far, managed to finish off some bbc shows last night :)
mariad
Amateur
Amateur

proxpn vpn review

Post by mariad »

Here my friend suggested me to go with the proxpn VPN for safe and secure streaming.
Then what I did is I compared the features and pricing with other VPN providers like NordVPN and ExpressVPN.
ProxPN is quite expensive and has very fewer features as per this of 2019.
And even the review websites won't be recommended this service.
Which VPN is best?
Should I go with NordVPN or ExpressVPN?

Confused :cuss:
PJG
Professional
Professional

Post by PJG »

I used expressvpn for the last year with no problems but decided to find cheaper when the subscription year finished.

Now using Cyberghost, 3yrs for $99

Some initial problems but with good support from their service dept. now running smoothly. Use mainly to access bbciplayer. The initial problems revolved around clearing cookies and cache and all previous downloads from iplayer.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

PJG wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:33 pm I used expressvpn for the last year with no problems but decided to find cheaper when the subscription year finished.

Now using Cyberghost, 3yrs for $99

Some initial problems but with good support from their service dept. now running smoothly. Use mainly to access bbciplayer. The initial problems revolved around clearing cookies and cache and all previous downloads from iplayer.
I too use Express VPN - not the cheapest (almost three times the cost of Cyberghost) but pretty reliable
buksida

Post by buksida »

Been using PIA for the past 18 months and it has generally been pretty good. It has started to drop out a bit recently though so will be looking for an alternative when it is due for renewal. I tend to avoid the bigger companies as their support is usually shite. Cyberghost looks good though if it works with iPlayer (which PIA doesnt), can you select what country you want and does the account support more than one device?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PJG
Professional
Professional

Post by PJG »

Cyberghost account supports multiple devices. I have it on my PC and phone.

It has a drop down menu to select the country you want to stream. Also in the menu is an option to maximise stream location for iplayer.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Whats the latest on VPNs you guys are using?

Mine (PIA) is about to expire in a couple of weeks and not sure whether to continue with it - it has started to drop out and BBC iPlayer has never worked with it.

Is CyberGhost still good, how has your experience with it been? Cost wise its very similar to what I'm paying with PIA.

Nord and Express are considerably more expensive and I would imagine, being larger companies, their support isn't as good.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

buksida wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:04 am Whats the latest on VPNs you guys are using?

Mine (PIA) is about to expire in a couple of weeks and not sure whether to continue with it - it has started to drop out and BBC iPlayer has never worked with it.

Is CyberGhost still good, how has your experience with it been? Cost wise its very similar to what I'm paying with PIA.

Nord and Express are considerably more expensive and I would imagine, being larger companies, their support isn't as good.
On the few occasions that I’ve needed their technical team for assistance, Express VPN have responded quickly - I’m watching BBC iPlayer on a regular basis with only very rare hiccups in service. This is the only VPN service provider I have used, but over the years cannot remember any experience of loss of service that has lasted more than 24 hours and on every occasion it’s only been watching BBC, the other UK channels have never “queried” that I’m not in the UK - I believe it’s $99 a year which is good value as far as I’m concerned :cheers:
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Good info wrgds to ExpressVPN. I have myself used Freedome for a few years but will now change to ExpressVPN. They have more servers and supporting more countries than Freedome. Among those countries is Thailand and I can use the TrueID app abroad with VPN through Thailand ( ExpressVPN). Freedome did not have server/access point in Thailand.
YNWA