Internet access from hotel room / dial up card?

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Baltic
Amateur
Amateur

Internet access from hotel room / dial up card?

Post by Baltic »

I hope HHAD technology freaks are mainly reading this section of HHAD :D :guns:
and You will give me a good advice!

However the question is very simple, and I will be really thankful to receive any really working advice - as I will now be after one week (arrival 8.10.2005) in HH, and no idea about laptop connection possibilities still...

I will have in my hotel room some kind of PSTN phone connection ( I do hope), and I hope that hotel room phone has standard connector in room wall, so I can add my laptop there as well (being travelling a lot I have all necessary gear with me...) .

However once in San Fransisco there was a hotel , where phone wire was going directly to the wall - no problemo - , sharp knife and some more connection wires with me accompanied with "plaster" - how You call it, I had no insulating tape with me - worked very well. I left all the "instalation" of standard wall socket there for next enduser. :D

But question is - can I buy some kind of temporary dial-up Internet access for only 2 weeks I will be in HH ?
I will dial (hah - not me, but my laptop) determined local phone no, then server answers, some kind of authorization is needed etc...
Laptop will be connected to the Internet. Then of course for sending my e-mails (what is one of most important things I'm looking for ) I need to know outgoing mail server name of ISP (Internet Service Provider).

Any comments on this issue?
Will offer some cold :cheers: for good advice, as I need to stay on business even being in HH, and connection from hotel room should be a nice altenative to hanging around Hua Hin with laptop, desperately looking for some Internet cafe ... :D

Then feeling like in the middle of nowhere :wink:
Two beers or not two beers ...
dr dave soul monsta
Deceased
Deceased

Post by dr dave soul monsta »

most of the phones are plug in here so you wouldnt need your plaster or insulation tape ,,as long as you have the correct type of phone jack it shouldnt be a problem ,the only think i can see being a problem is the premiums the hotels charge for phone calls ..
you can buy a dial up package at any 7 11 for around 200 thb all usually go to the 1222 dial up number others have their own numbers be carefull you dont dial out of prachuap area for these ..
many of the local net cafe's will let you plug into their network but this may lack the privacy you require but will no doubt be cheeper than the hotel ,,ask for info at your hotel regards internet connection charges
normaly it is 3 thb per connection i cant imagine the hotels charging this
"I don't often agree with the RSPCA as i believe it is an animals duty to be on my plate at supper time"
Baltic
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Baltic »

dr dave soul monsta wrote:most of the phones are plug in here so you wouldnt need your plaster or insulation tape
That's really fine, however I have seen hotels where local PABX is using (!) PULSE dial??? (!) :guns: You hear it easily by tik-tik-tik sound when dialling.
However it is not so bad to be a local McGyver type (if anyone remember such old serial from TV).
the only think i can see being a problem is the premiums the hotels charge for phone calls ..

If local call is reasonably charged, I do not see a problem :D
Of course many times in Phuket hotels they have had a bunch of receipts about 1 cm height - as I had about 10 Internet connections per day - but still costs were on reasonable level. I thikn there was a surcharge 10 Baht for local call, not depending on the call time. That's O.K. for me.
Many thanks for info!
Two beers or not two beers ...
buksida

Post by buksida »

You usually have to dial 9 before the number in hotels to get through the PABX.

Most decent hotels should have their own internet facilities anyway.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson