The Android Thread

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Re: The Android Thread

Post by BaaBaa. »

Big Boy wrote:OK, thank you - that answers part 1.

Does anybody know if it's possible to turn a Blackberry into a WiFi Hotspot? If not WiFi, is it possible to simply tether it?
I've had a look around BB and apparently the very latest software doesn't have the wifi option but it's coming in a soon to be released update.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

I've just got upgraded to 2.3.5, the latest gingerbread version and noticed a definite improvement in battery life as well as a few little visual tweaks.

Now roll on icecream sandwich.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

BaaBaa. wrote:
Big Boy wrote:OK, thank you - that answers part 1.

Does anybody know if it's possible to turn a Blackberry into a WiFi Hotspot? If not WiFi, is it possible to simply tether it?
I've had a look around BB and apparently the very latest software doesn't have the wifi option but it's coming in a soon to be released update.
Thanks BaaBaa. :thumb:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

BaaBaa. wrote:I've just got upgraded to 2.3.5, the latest gingerbread version and noticed a definite improvement in battery life as well as a few little visual tweaks.
Just got a Samsung Galaxy Mini which is a dandy little thing and doesn't break the bank at under 5k.

Noticed that it has Android 2.2.1 - would it be worthwhile upgrading this to the latest version? Is it a simple process? Will it kill all my data and format the phone?

Any more apps to recommend?

Sorry for all the questions, just new to the OS and thought I'd ask the local gurus rather than reading the destructions.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Download Samsung Kies (Samsungs synching software) and plug your phone into your laptop and it will autodetect the latest version for that model and region, I don't bother backing up and it doesn't wipe anything whatsoever.

Kies isn't a great piece of software but the process couldn't be simpler and I'd definitely upgrade as you're currently running Froyo and can upgrade to Gingerbread which is like moving from Vista to Win7.

Let me know your thoughts on the phone Buks as it could be a decent option for the GF.

:cheers:
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

I've also found this forum to be quite helpful Buks.

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-mini-s5570/

There is "unofficial" ways of getting the very latest software but see what Kies gives you first.

:cheers:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Sweet, that was a breeze, took about ten minutes and I now have Gingerbread.

Time to go find some apps and see what this thing can do, I'm impressed so far, it does everything the iPhone did and costs about 25%!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Nice. 8)

What version? 2.3.?

Oh, if you like the look of any paid for apps or games just google the name followed by apk. :wink:

Some update and everything, worth a look.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Says its 2.3.4, haven't noticed any changes but haven't really started to use it yet as I've only just got it. That Kies program is so simple to use - unlike iTunes which wants to re-arrange your computer before copying a few MP3s.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

It's probably the case that you won't notice now if you weren't really familiar with froyo, 2.3.4 is newer than I had up until last week so you're right upto date. 8)
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

My partner needs a new phone as well and some of the cheaper Samsung phones do look like a good deal for the money. I've looked at the Galaxy Mini and also the Star II which isn't an Android phone but it does look like a touch screen smart phone and seems to do everything that she is likely to do on a phone for only 80 euros. As long as she can make calls and take pictures with it and push them around the screen like an iphone, she'll be happy!
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

I'd definitely go for the Mini if they're in the same price range, Android will always have new apps available where as the other will just stay as it comes.

There's a few Galaxys in that price range.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Android will always have new apps available...
I know what you mean but to be honest, my partner doesn't even know what an app is! I'll try to get down to an electrical store in the next couple of days and have a look at the options. The Mini might be good due to it being smaller as I think it might be a bit tougher to break the screen which is what has happened to the last two phones she's had.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Just found a decent app called android assistant.
buksida

Post by buksida »

BaaBaa. wrote: Let me know your thoughts on the phone Buks as it could be a decent option for the GF.
Ok, been playing for a while and here are my thoughts (largely comparing the Samsung to the iPhone I had previously):

Pros:
Battery life is a lot better than the iPhone (will run for a good 3 days without a charge as long as you're not gaming on it)
Very easy to transfer data to and from PC, no iTunes screwing things up
Decent camera and video (don't usually use phones for photos but this one is not bad)
Simple software upgrade process

Cons:
Keyboard is too small (probably not a problem on the bigger screen handsets)
Android Market is not as easy to search/navigate as App Store

For the money (under 5k) I don't think you can beat this phone.