The Android Thread

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
JohnD

Re: The Android Thread

Post by JohnD »

I flashed several stock ROM’s on an old Samsung phone downloaded from Sammobile website; they have software from other carriers (and countries) with minor changes to Samsung’s base software. Found some small differences (like wallpapers) and maybe a small improvement on battery life, but hardly worth the effort.

Knew someone who had a repair shop flash a custom ROM on a Samsung Note 3 but there were some new issues like could not see that battery icon when switched off charging, so could not see if charge completed (that's the only one I can remember). Plus, what become a nuisance ‘nightly’ updates. They converted back to the original stock ROM.

I spent a lot of time checking user comments about different custom ROM’s for my Samsung and noted that there were some reported problems with the new software (something did not work as before). Left me unimpressed, while gaining new possibilities and add-ons, looked like you might inherit a new problem?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yep, its not worth the agg, will just leave it plugged in for the next few weeks where it will become a static phone as opposed to a mobile one!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

Anyone else updated to Android 9 recently and notice their phone running at half the speed and performance it did before?

Thanks Google - factory reset and disabling 'updates'.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

No, I'm still on 8.0 which is what the phone came with. But I think my son has upgraded and has no complaints. Think the phone internals have something to do with it as well. I wanted to get the Samsung A30 and was also looking at the J-series models. He told me to stay away from those as they are the budget line and the processors are not up to speed. He chose the A7 2018 for me instead and I'm okay with it as I'm not a power user. He, however, is a speed freak and has the S9 so I guess the additional processing power built into the phone more than makes up for the additional deadweight of the software.
My two baht worth..
วินเชนท์
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I've only just upgraded to 7.1.2 from 6.0! And my phone's much slicker now. But it's now not the manufacturer's system. Vincent's right, it depends on the manufacturer's implementation to a great extent. Subsystems drivers may not be as good as they should be, for example. If your phone's upgrade is crap for you and other users there may be an update quite soon. What phone do you have, BTW?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Samsung J6+. I can live with it but the degradation in performance since the "upgrade" is definitely noticeable.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Just curious. What sort of degradation do you see? Is it UI / launcher scrolling, app opening, app responsiveness, multitasking, battery use, whatever? I think the plus only has a Snapdragon 400 cpu (so it should really be a J6- maybe) so was never going to be a beast. Have you tried cutting the animation scales in developer options (0.5 or even 0) which can make the UI seem snappier? Might be worth stopping apps opening at start-up when not needed and restricting apps starting and running in the background.
buksida

Post by buksida »

hhinner wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 5:57 pm Just curious. What sort of degradation do you see? Is it UI / launcher scrolling, app opening, app responsiveness, multitasking.
Yep, all of that. Beast or not, it performed much better before the "upgrade" which is my point entirely. Will have a go at your suggestion, cheers (edit: Android 9 does not appear to have that option). Its not a RAM issue as there is 4GB with over half free most of the time.

Will roll back to Android 8 and disable the updates when I get time.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Which option not in Android 9?
buksida

Post by buksida »

hhinner wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 5:57 pm cutting the animation scales in developer options (0.5 or even 0)
At least I can't find it anywhere in the regular settings anyway ...
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

buksida wrote:
hhinner wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 5:57 pm cutting the animation scales in developer options (0.5 or even 0)
At least I can't find it anywhere in the regular settings anyway ...
Seems like the standard way to get to developer options: https://androiddeveloperoptions.com/how ... galaxy-j6/
buksida

Post by buksida »

Recommended Android Games

Since we're all on lockdown I'm assuming quite a few of you will be gaming a bit on smartphones or tablets.

How about some recommendations for your top free and paid Android games to kill an hour so during these testing times?

I'll kick off with one of my favourites; Hades' Star which is a free to download 'social space strategy game'.

"You are in control of a growing Empire, starting with a single planet in your own corner of space. Over time, you’ll expand to own multiple outposts, command a formidable fleet, research advanced technology, participate in diverse missions and manage relationships with other players in the game."

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... s&hl=en_US

It is a slow grind but certainly addictive if you like that sort of thing.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Real Racing 3 is my favourite. Takes up a shitload of memory so I play it on an old Samsung with no other apps installed.
Free game but at some point if you get addicted you end up paying for extra gold and virtual cash to upgrade and buy new cars.
REAL CARS
Take the wheel of over 250 vehicles from manufacturers like Ford, Aston Martin, McLaren, Koenigsegg and Pagani.

REAL TRACKS
Burn rubber on 19 real tracks in multiple configurations from top worldwide locations, including Silverstone, Hockenheimring, Le Mans, Dubai Autodrome, Yas Marina, Circuit of the Americas and many more.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... _row&hl=en
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Gabe H Coud

Android Audio issue

Post by Gabe H Coud »

I have an android phone. All of a sudden my audio has gone haywire!

The sound won't play through loudspeaker(twitter/Facebook/YouTube ) unless I put the headphone jack in. But then the headphones don't work it just enables the loudspeaker to work.
If I take the jack out the speaker continues usually for about 5/10 secs then goes off again.

I have rebooted phone and gone into audio settings. Cant see anything obvious

I would have thought the issue is with the headphone socket, in that it's not recognising the headphone jack in the correct way. But also loudspeakers not playing when they should??

If anyone thinks they can help please reply thanks
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Android Audio issue

Post by hhinner »

Phone? Version of Android? Recently updated?