Camera and photography thread

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
PeteC

Re: Camera and photography thread

Post by PeteC »

Many of you may have found this section in the Pattaya Mail already, but if not it's worth a mention here. Published weekly at the link below with some good technical advice about photography. Pete :cheers:

http://www.pattayamail.com/snapshots
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I need to resize some photos on the computer. A while ago, I was using a really simply program that was suggested by bukside but I've lost it in the data transfer to the new computer. Can buksida or anyone else suggest a program?
Another point that I remember from using it before was that once I'd sized photos down I couldn't get them back to their original size. Was this usual or just me being computer unsavvy?
buksida

Post by buksida »

This works for me: http://www.fotosizer.com/ (the free version)

It makes resized copies of your images and doesn't overwrite the originals.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Isn't http://www.shrinkpictures.com/ the one we've used on the forum here for many years?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

That does individual pics for uploads, the software I linked to will do a whole bunch of them at the same time.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Thanks. I'll give it a go.
Even if I mess up, the photos are still on the original device so I can always download them again.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Fifteen year old English girl, Rosie Hardy, begins learning about her camera to make a better Myspace photo. She doesn't stop there. Four years later a band does a google image search on the title of their next album. Finds an image on Rosie's flicker page, hires her for a slightly different version. People noticed. She's now a full time professional photographer with some impressive clients. And the best damn set of selfies I've ever seen: http://www.rosiehardy.com/1145-self-portraits
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I've always wanted to learn more about photography so need some help fellow forum members.

At this point I've only used easy cheap cameras so am thinking of jumping into something as a starter.

I want something I can build on, maybe different lenses to add as my knowledge and interests grow

I came upon this one http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-14-2MP-Digi ... ds=cameras

But would sure appreciate comments and suggestions! :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Its a decent entry level DSLR that will do most of the things the bigger ones can. I believe the latest model is the D3200 though.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

buksida wrote:Its a decent entry level DSLR that will do most of the things the bigger ones can. I believe the latest model is the D3200 though.
Thanks! I'll look for that. Entry level is fine to see how much I enjoy it! :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

migrant wrote:I've always wanted to learn more about photography so need some help fellow forum members.

At this point I've only used easy cheap cameras so am thinking of jumping into something as a starter.
By 'easy cheap cameras' I'm guessing you mean what the industry calls automated point and shoot (P&S) cameras.

Two basic ways to learn more about photography. First are the elements of visual composition. One can do that with any camera. The best cameras and lenses in the world mean little in the hands of someone who can't compose an image.

The other is manually controlling a camera so as to create the image you see in your mind's eye. For this you need a camera with manual controls, obviously. What you don't need is a DSLR, interchangeable lenses, a big sensor or a large price tag.

Most people who become photography enthusiasts have at least 2 cameras, not counting their cell phone. One is a small, pocket sized (where the pocket may be a big cargo pocket) camera with a higher quality lens than a P&S, a larger sensor, RAW capability and full manual control*. This is their 'always carry' (AC) camera. The other camera depends upon individual interests, but it usually has interchangeable high quality lenses and a large/larger sensor.

I recommend starting with an AC camera. They're less complex and less intimidating. Their size means you'll carry them more often and thus get more experience with a variety of subjects and situations. Spending a year or more with one means that when you're ready to buy a better system, you will have a MUCH better idea of what features that system must have to meet your photography style and interests. It also means when you do step up it will be after a round of technological advances. Obviously, it also means you'll have an AC camera that you know like the back of your hand.

Finally, if you don't get bitten by the photo bug you can put the AC camera on Auto and produce photos with better image quality than you current P&S.

* Let me know if you want specific model names.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Homer wrote:
* Let me know if you want specific model names.
Yes, please, and thanks for the recommendations! :cheers:
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

I haven't researched this category since purchasing a Canon Powershot S95 in 2010 so I'll point you to the recent consensus picks in the category as a place to start. These model names may be a generation out of date because some of the manufacturers improve their products annually.

In the last year the category has expanded on the high quality end, with larger sensors, better lenses and prices that are comperable to or higher than the price of an entry level APS DSLR with a kit zoom (i.e. 18-55mm). Only you can decide the size and budget limits for a 'carry always' camera.

WARNING: Some photographers on some forums put far more passion and effort into arguing the relative merits of gear than they do into creating images. Such types will find plenty of targets to attack in this post.

Truly pocket sized
Canon Powershot A110
Sony RX100 and RX100 ii

Cargo pocket sized

Fujifilm X20
Nikon Coolpix 7700
Olympux XZ-2
Panasonic LX-7

APS sensor (same as most entry level DSLRs)
Nikon Coolpix A
Fujifilm X100s

Almost a Category of Their Own
Latest models in the Canon Powershot G series. The large body size is a no-go for many shoppers.

This is Controversial
One of the small micro four thirds (m43) models from Olympus or Panasonic with a prime (fixed length, non zoom) 20mm (35mm equivalent) lens. These are cargo pocked sized. They can be the gateway drug into a m43 system camera.

There are other high end models with better fixed lenses or bigger sensors, but unless you're deep in cash, they're overkill for you. http://www.dpreview.com/products/search ... sorCompact
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Also research and consider mirrorless cameras. They are near pocket size (cargo pocket easily), have an nice sized sensor, and interchangeable lenses. The latest offering by Panasonic (not sure it's on the market yet but will be soon) comes with a pancake (folding) interchangeable lens that makes it almost as small as the Canon Elf shirt pocket series. Besides Panasonic, all the other big manufacturers make one of these. They are intended as a bridge camera, better than point and shoot and nearly as good as the better SLRs. The only drawback is expense as they are in the same range as the DSLR you're looking at. I've read that many professional photographers have one of these as a backup to their DSLRs.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yes, the major flaw with point and shoot cameras is the shutter lag, something I hate. The mirrorless cameras are much better at dealing with it and still small enough to carry about easily.