TV Purchase in Hua Hin

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: TV Purchase in Hua Hin

Post by hhfarang »

Is it the product that is different, or the quality of the after sales service? From what I'm reading, it is the latter.
In my personal experience, it is both.

All I can say is that when my big one started acting up (power cycling at random times) I went on the web to search for self repair forums and found way more than I expected and when reading them I found way more negative comments about Samsung than any other brand; and that included their flat screen (LCD) TVs as well as their rear projection TVs (like mine).

The first two times it went bad I was able to fix it myself, once just by cleaning and dealing with the unstable electric supply here and the second time with a part (color wheel bearing had gone bad) I ordered through the Samsung office near Index. That time they wanted 20k baht for the repair. I did it myself for 3.5k but that problem had symptoms that obviously pointed to the bad part. This time my research told me it could be one of 4 parts gone bad and I didn't want to replace them all one by one until I found the culprit so I called Samsung service as as expected instead of sending a repair person, they sent a couple of guys to load it into a truck and take it away. That was about five weeks ago and they still have it, even though they called within a couple of days to say they had found the problem and would have to order a part. I think they could have manufactured the part by now!

I've owned a lot of TV's in my lifetime and the best ones I've had were Sony and Hitachi. I've usually bought the biggest TV available at the time and I had two of the old tube type Sonys that never went bad (after many, many years of use). The oldest one was the first TV I ever bought (in the 70's) and was so old it still had the old round channel dial that only went up to 13 (or 12?). I ended up selling them (gave the oldest one away) when I left to come here along with a big rear projection Hitachi that I had used daily for about 15 years with only one minor problem that was fixed cheaply by an independent TV repair guy in my home (without taking the set away).

This Samsung is also the most expensive TV I've ever bought as well at the equivalent of around $4000 U.S. That big Hitachi that was so reliable only cost $2500.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
stgrhe
Professional
Professional

Post by stgrhe »

The flat TV brand that is known to have a systematic problem is the LG that has problems with its PWM (Pulse With Modulation) power supplies, this according to my friend, an engineer guru the trade.
Irma
Novice
Novice

Post by Irma »

I need to fix sound on my Pioneer TV - who can do it in Hua Hin?