TT&T ADSL

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
buksida

TT&T ADSL

Post by buksida »

After months of procrastination I have finally got my finger out and joined the 20th century with home ADSL.

Went into the TT&T shop opposite Salesian school and had a look through the several packages they had on offer. Opted for the 512/256 package from TT&T themselves (called T-Speed). It costs 845 baht per month, you pay two months upfront, the 256 package is about 150 baht cheaper.

They also have a Ji-Net package for 669 baht with free phone line (if you're on TOT) and ADSL modem, the only drawback is you have to sign up for a year which I didn't like the idea of (you can cancel by paying 1,500 baht or giving 30 days notice).

Then you need to choose between the ADSL modem (1,250 baht) or router (2,250 baht). The latter lets you share the connection with other machines and offers a lot more stability than the modem. I tried both but ended up with the router.

Now to be honest the setup and configuration was a nightmare even for computer professionals so I wouldn't reccommend doing it yourself.

I have just run a speed test using http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/ and have to say the results are promising:

354.7 kilobits per second
Communications 354.7 kilobits per second
Storage 43.3 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 23.6 seconds
Subjective rating Not bad
Explain results

Info
Date & time Wednesday, April 6, 8:16AM*
Test type IDT4 Free
Connection type ADSL
Region Asia
Data size 1024KB
IP address 203.156.134.138
Provider

If this means nothing to you try it on your dialup connection and see what you get. As a general rule with these types of connections you should expect around half to two thirds of max capacity so the above results are impressive. Another general rule is the connection will only be as good as the phone line that carries it.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
tonychang

Post by tonychang »

What I dont understand is when running certain p2p clients, even though the client isnt necessarily downloading a file at a fast speed it still subsequently slows down my general surfing speed dramatically!?
buksida

P2P

Post by buksida »

A lot of P2P clients have settings in there that allocate it a certain percentage of your bandwidth regardess of the download speed. You can adjust this though to free up more for general surfing.

I usually only run them when I'm not surfing ie. at night.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

TT&T Arse-DSL update

Post by buksida »

Heres an update three months later. For anyone considering this service think twice.

It has been slower than a dialup modem or simply not even on for the last two weeks.

The people in the shop wash their hands of it and put you on the phone to someone that speaks even less English at their head office. The excuse that I was given today is that "they're upgrading cables in Prachuab province".

... for ten days ???

Not sure how the TOT service compares but I cant see it being any better.

So I guess there really is no reliable "home" ADSL solution in Hua Hin :guns:
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Sorry to hear about your experience with TT&T. Hope it get better.
As you'll know, better than anyone, I've had regular run ins with TOT over the past year.
My phone bill is normally around 1,000 - 1,300 a month. This is purely for internet connections at 3 Baht a time. Well, take the line rental and tax off that and it means that I'm connecting 12 odd times a day. As they're supposed to give 2 hours "free", I'm obviously spending too much time on the internet and never sleeping :twisted:
OK, it's a dial up connection, but the bare faced effrontery of the lemmings in the office is outrageous. I've been fobbed off with "it's your modem", "it's the telephone line into your house, not ours outside on the street", "the name of this month has got a 'r'' in it" ad nauseam.
Anyway, the missus went to pay the bill today - 1,100 - and spoke to a woman there about the disconnections. She was told to her face that, whilst TOT advertised this service as free, giving 2 hours of time at a go, they knew that people never got his in reality.
Unbelievable.
Whilst in BKK last week going to The Ministry of Forign Affairs, I passed the brand spanking new TOT offices on Cheang Wattana Road. Wonder where they're getting their money from?
Havn't decided whether to bomb that yet, or not.
Rant over :guns: :guns:
buksida

Post by buksida »

This are rather disturbing reads about TT&T's Maxnet package which is what I presume I have on other forums.

:guns:
machersjohn

Post by machersjohn »

I must be the exception on adsl with tt&t as my results are fair

Download Speed 217128 bps

Upload Speed 73168 bps

QoS 96 %

RTT 57ms

Maximum pause 121ms

I don't pretend to no what all the above means but it is a lot faster than my previous dialup with tot. They did install a new line for me whether that makes a difference or not i'm not sure. Also i don't leave it on all the time does that make a difference?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Those results are not bad, I take it you have the 256/128 package. Leaving it on all the time doesnt make a difference.

Now onto the new line ... this I have just discovered is the root of all my problems. After using the service in the old house with no problems for two months I was impressed. When I moved I had to buy a new TT&T line for the new place and transfer the ADSL account. The first week was fine, second week it slowed to modem speed and last week it dissappeared altogether.

Several times I've been to the shop, spoken politely in Thai and told them I've been working with computers for 15 years. They still tell me "have ploblem with computeerrrr" or "have ploblem with cables in Prachuab".

Yesterday the "techie" comes round tests new routers and everything else, scratches his head and says "ploblem with telephone line outside" :banghead:

This line is brand new! It just shows you that even on new lines they must tape the connections together so when a gust of wind or drop of rain occurs the line goes down. Its no wonder all the phone lines in this country are fcuked if the "engineers" don't do the job right in the first place.

Fire them all :guns: :cuss: :banghead:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Well the "techie" came round and all he did was replace the router ... hence the shocking speed results:

Download 70,168 bps
Upload 61,224 bps
QOS 20%
RTT 68 ms
MaxPause 1594 ms

I guess their "ADSL" service is nothing more than a dialup that you don't have to dial.

:cuss: fuckwits.
niceday

Post by niceday »

Tt & t goddamn their service. your lucky your getting that. I'm lucky getting a k a second if i can even get on after an hour or 3.
I know TIT and I shouldn't care so much but that service suuccckks something rotten.
I'm going to bed and i'll dream of a decent internet service where i don't have to switch back to dial up to get on.
buksida

Post by buksida »

:cuss:

Its averaged about 40kbps all this week, maybe slightly faster in the mornings or at 3am. This is average dialup modem speed.

I will be cancelling the contract this month and I seriously advise anyone considering home ADSL to avoid this service.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Finally went in there and cancelled this shocking joke of a service today. The girl even asked if I wanted to "upspeed" ... from what, 18Kbps to 30Kbps?

I even had to use TOT 1222 free this morning to check my email :cuss:

So after spending 3,000 on a new line, 2,200 on hardware and 2,400 on ADSL I'm back to square one .... dialup.

:guns: :cuss: :guns: :cuss:
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Why not consider writing to Head Office in BKK demanding a refund? It might not get you anything, but if it makes the prats in HH squirm a bit you might have some satisfaction.
I threatened TOT with that earlier in the week, plus getting peoples' names. They nearly wet themselves.
You've got more of a claim than me after spending all that money.
niceday

Post by niceday »

I know that the tt&t maxnet adsl has being shot to death.
I went in to the ffice yesterday as have only being able to download at about 3kB/sec for the last 9 days. That's inside thailand. It took me 3 days to get a 200mb file that should have taken an hour.
Anyway the depressed girl behind counter said it would cost 2580baht i think to cancel contract after a 30 minute wait. 2 counter girls and 1 other customer in shop.

She also said something about many farangs complaining.
The free modem that they show in the picture is a good d-link one with lots of lights. That's not what you get by the way. You get a small cheapo little one with one power led.

Anyway i know in another country one wouldn't have to pay after being tricked like that, but this isn't another country.
One would think after politely complaining they could up ones speed a bit to keep customers even a fraction of happy.

I wrote an email to that consumer protection part of government i think but it just got returned as the address had changed.

This is the head office address i could find. could not find the maxnet one.
TT&T Subscriber Services Co., Ltd
252/30 Muang Thai-Phatra Complex Tower 1, Floor 24, Rachadaphisek Road, Huaykwang, Bangkok 10320 Tel: 0-2693-2100 Fax: 0-2693-2124.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Good on ya for giving them hell. I did. I cancelled the contract instantly and told them I wouldnt be paying the bills since they havent provided the service.

Been on the CAT one for a couple of weeks now and while its better than Maxnet (it actually works) its by no means "highspeed".