Computers for children, charities and good causes in Hua Hin

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
wpcoe
Professional
Professional

Re: Computers for children, charities and good causes in Hua

Post by wpcoe »

wpcoe wrote:I have a 2.8 Ghz P4 system I built with spare parts. It is lacking a keyboard, mouse and monitor. Do you know anybody who'd be interested in picking it up? (I live in central Hua Hin.) I've been trying to find a new home for the system.

Back in Pattaya, I have a condo where I have a couple motherboards, a processor (Core2Duo E6750, 2.66Ghz) and various RAM sticks (desktop & notebook, DDR2 & DDR3) stashed in a cupboard that I could bring back to Hua Hin on a future trip.

I also have an Acer Pentium-M 2Ghz notebook that has seen better days. Rubber feet on the bottom missing, finish worn off the plastic case in places, etc. I have the original recovery CD's as well. Does that have potential for a new home?
buksida wrote:Providing it works you can leave it at the HH Ham & Bacon shop on soi 41, same goes for the laptop (providing it works and you have the power adapter).

Update
Thanks to all those that have donated working components and machines, we have been very busy lately so the project has been put on hold temporarily, it will be resumed when time permits. Please note that we do not need broken or malfunctioning hardware such as printers with no ink or power adapters, the cost of replacement cartridges often equals that of a new printer. Computers over 5 years old are also more hassle that they're worth, simply moving them around often causes hardware failures. If its busted bin it!
It's been a few years and I "never got around to" carting those computers to your shop. Are you still interested? I'm moving from Hua Hin, and my motivation now to finally donate them would be to minimize the stuff I move.

In addition to the P4 system I mentioned above, I have an even older D820 (or D830? can't remember). I know I had these systems running since I moved to Hua Hin 2.5 years ago, so I don't think they're fragile. they have working hard drives with Windows (probably XP?) and video, but no monitor/keyboard/mouse.

(The e6750 is in a new mini-case with an SSD and will be given to my sister on my next trip to the USA, so that's "off the market," as is the notebook which I'm thinking of turning into a NAS device.)
buksida

Post by buksida »

No longer in HH full time so can't personally attend to the project any longer. If anyone else wants to take the reins they're more than welcome, however the HHHB shop will no longer be available to deposit hardware, you will need to find a new location if the endeavour is to continue.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
wpcoe
Professional
Professional

Post by wpcoe »

Oh, well. Out in the trash they go. Pity. They actually work well for basic e-mail and web browsing.

PS: Might want to unpin this thread?
Dee Jay
Novice
Novice

Re: Computers for children, charities and good causes in Hua Hin

Post by Dee Jay »

Hi there,

I am aware that this post has been here for a while,
BUT I would be happy to participate in anyway possible to help.

Going to Mercy House this week to deliver exactly that :
A few good working computers and willing to bring anything that might help out .

Maybe we can rekindle this post and give it another go. The House and more importantly,
the kids are still there, so let me know if you would like to contribute.

Regards,

DJ
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

I have few computer bits (laptop, printer, cables etc) which either need repair or refurbishment which I will eventually bin but would rather give away if someone collects from my condo
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Dee Jay wrote:Hi there,

I am aware that this post has been here for a while,
BUT I would be happy to participate in anyway possible to help.

Going to Mercy House this week to deliver exactly that :
A few good working computers and willing to bring anything that might help out .

Maybe we can rekindle this post and give it another go. The House and more importantly,
the kids are still there, so let me know if you would like to contribute.

Regards,

DJ
Good luck DJ, personally ran out of steam for the project as there was very little recognition, acknowledgement, or appreciation of our efforts from organization administration.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dee Jay
Novice
Novice

Post by Dee Jay »

Hi Buksida,

Thanks for your reply. I truly believe there might be a way to change that.
Just by attracting attention to the webpage, which I believe would be met with open arms
Then, perhaps reigniting the newsletter and adding it to local web links or paper publications might do the trick.

Perhaps just a little tweak at that level can at the very least build awareness to the cause.

Met the kids last year and they all seem to be doing fairly well,
but I am quite sure they could all use the help of a Big Brother/Sister if you know what I mean.

Although belonging to a group here in Asian culture seems to work...
Without a doubt having that extra close relation with someone they can both trust and respect
would do wonders for their self esteem not to mention confidence.

As in all endeavors, Time will tell but definitely can not do it alone.