Forum behavior

Help us improve the forum! Make a suggestion for the board or ask questions here. This area is also for forum announcements.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Forum behavior

Post by oakdale160 »

So many times threads descend into personal vilification. The reason I am sure is the anonymity of the forum. You feel safe, you feel that you can say those things that come into your mind but good manners prevent you from uttering. I am guilty of this, I have to admit, and have written things in posts that I would never say face to face. I have no suggestions for how this can be changed. Perhaps it is healthy to be able to rid ourselves of confrontational thoughts. There are, unfortunately, some posters who seem to try to pick a fight with every entry to a thread.
buksida

Re: Forum behavior

Post by buksida »

Personally I think social media is to blame for the behavioral shift. We never saw such aggression on the forums years ago before the likes of farcebook infected everybody's lives. People these days just seem to be argumentative just for the sake of it - not very constructive or helpful for those looking for answers here I agree.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

I ran several forums like this before FB and it's ilk came along.

The keyboard warriors abounded even back then. The attitudes are more visible now, but nothing has changed in attitude.

I was hoping FB with it's myriad of rules would have changed things, it hssn't. It's just gotten more one sided and allowed for the posting of disturbing videos much easier.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

On the other side of the coin it's possible that these days people often see any disagreement with their stated view as an aggression committed against them. 'Being offended' must be being taught at degree level nowadays.

It's true that some people just try to pick fights. To make a post which only has the purpose of calling someone else a troll is in fact an act of trolling. Happened to me on Saturday. Also was accused of often 'blathering' by a well know poster on the forum too, some days ago. I checked my posts myself and am happy that most of my posts are helpful and even sometimes humorous. But some people keep fixed opinions not based on fact. I apologise that I will defend myself against personal insults. Maybe that's a failing of mine, as it in fact means so little in an online forum.

I think it's important not too have too thin a skin on anonymous forums, there will always be some just wanting to hurt rather than discuss and inform. If Europlank didn't have the hide of a rhino he'd have been long gone by now. I'm not a fan of safe spaces when it comes to opinions and discussion, and believe mods do a good enough job to step in when boundaries have been overstepped.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

404cameljockey wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:03 pm I think it's important not too have too thin a skin on anonymous forums.
Agreed, but it's also important to recognise that this isn't an entirely anonymous forum. Many of the regular posters have been forum members for ten years or more and know each other away from the forum. Even if we haven't met, many of us know each other well enough on line for the notion of anonymity to have disappeared long ago.
If Europlank didn't have the hide of a rhino he'd have been long gone by now.
:laugh: :laugh:
I'm not a fan of safe spaces when it comes to opinions and discussion, and believe mods do a good enough job to step in when boundaries have been overstepped.
:agree:

I also have to say that I thoroughly enjoy a bit of controversy and the occasional spat. If this forum were nothing more than a local information platform on where to buy Branston pickles, which bars sell the cheapest beer, and the price differences between Lotus and Big C, I'd have stopped reading a long time ago.
This is the way
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I think some of it has to do with frustration and fear (yes, actual fear) about the state of the world and the future, as well as personal circumstances in some cases.

There is little to nothing any of us can do about what we see going on around us on the world stage, and for some there is little to nothing that can be done about our personal circumstances. Money problems, relationship problems, location problems, aging/health problems etc.

This forum, or any forum, is a release valve to let off some of the built up pressure and frustration. The topic being replied to makes no difference whatsoever, it's an opportunity to dump on someone in a way the person feels he is being dumped on in some or many aspects of his life. Perhaps he's been bullied and used most of his life and it's time to give it back, anonymously.

Of course this is just an opinion about one of many possible reasons why a person acts the way they do.

I do agree with Buksida as well. In the early days this forum used to be more like a group of like mined people with banter back and forth, live. There were times for example when Steve G and I would go back and forth post after post about some silly subject for half an hour just for the fun of it, not a mean or hurtful word in any of it. There were many others who did the same thing as well. I can recall that Friday and Saturday nights were the best, probably because most had a beer in one hand and the keyboard in the other. :laugh:

As has been said a million times on here in the past, if you want to get rid of someone and shut them up simply don't reply to what they say. Completely ignore them. If you don't have the self control to do that you're going to get what you get. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

PeteC wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:58 pm As has been said a million times on here in the past, if you want to get rid of someone and shut them up simply don't reply to what they say. Completely ignore them.
:agree:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

We can't and won't always agree on matters whatever the subject, but healthy debate is good, even with a little bit of edge.
I can honestly say that there is nothing that I have posted that I wouldn't say face to face.
I'm pretty much the same person offline as on.

A few things I would say concerning online posting.

Emotions can't be expressed as well in print, using emoticons does help sometimes to convey the message in a softer tone.

Some people really do get upset and offended at the slightest things these days, I'm sure there are people that actually scour the internet looking for something to offend them, a bit like the ones that wrote in to complain about a TV programmes years ago . . . . . . . instead of just turning the TV over. :roll:

No matter what, it's only personal opinions, most of the time nobody is actually right or wrong, we're just seeing an event, article or happening from a different and personal viewpoint.
Life is full of winners and losers, but there are far, far more people just playing and enjoying the game.

Online forum posting is perfectly fine for everyone, from the terminally sensitive to the keyboard warriors.
There is always the shield of anonymity.
It could fall flat if you do end up meeting up with fellow members, which is always a possibility at some point, so be aware :D :cheers:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I do agree with Buksida as well. In the early days this forum used to be more like a group of like mined people with banter back and forth, live. There were times for example when Steve G and I would go back and forth post after post about some silly subject for half an hour just for the fun of it, not a mean or hurtful word in any of it. There were many others who did the same thing as well. I can recall that Friday and Saturday nights were the best, probably because most had a beer in one hand and the keyboard in the other.
Yes, it was fun in those days. To be honest, I always got the impression that there was only a handful of us online at those times which made it seem more like a personal conversation between friends than it does now.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I would enjoy the forum better if "Parliamentary" etiquette was observed.

You can attack the ideas and opinions but NOT attack the poster.

You can say--That is an idiotic thought, but not say-- you are an idiot.

You can say-- that is not true, you cannot say, you are lying.