Why are the latest postings to a thread on the last page

Help us improve the forum! Make a suggestion for the board or ask questions here. This area is also for forum announcements.
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Why are the latest postings to a thread on the last page

Post by SunandFun »

Hi,
As I am more and more interested in Hua Hin as I will be a future resident...I find myself checking the HH Forum frequently. In doing so, I am finding that the latest posting is not found when I open a thread, but found on the last page. In an effort to find the latest info available, would it not be prudent to have the latest info on the 1st page? This may be a silly question, or their may be an easier way to navigate. I would love to learn the "ins and outs" of how to navigate and if this makes good since and therefore provides a positive change then that is good too! Thanks for a great Forum! Sun and Fun
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
Big Boy

Re: Why are the latest postings to a thread on the last page

Post by Big Boy »

It's probably the way you are accessing the topic. We always recommend using the 'View new posts' method. I have captured an extract:
Latest Posts.jpg
If you look at the last column, you will see it contains the poster's name with a little white box alongside. If you click the little white box, you will be taken to the latest post.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I've noticed that since the forum was changed a while back, if you select from the latest topics list on huahinforum.com it goes to the last page but if you do it from another site such as huahinafterdark.com, it goes to the first page.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That's a good point Steve. SunandFun, you said you were accessing posts from Hua Hin Forum latest postings. Hua Hin After Dark has a Hot Topics section, which will take you to the original post. Hua Hin Forum has a Latest Topics section (exactly the same content), which will take you to the newest post. I guess you must be using Hua Hin After Dark.

The above solves only part of your problem. However, if you are accessing the forum through either of the above methods, you are missing out on an awful lot (probably 50%) of information/discussion. If you use the 'View latest posts' button, you will see all posts since your last visit.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Are there forums out there that arrange threads from newest to oldest posts? I've never thought about it or if changing the order would be user friendly. You would have to start at the bottom and read up to get the full story. Hmmmm....? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

!right to left from sentences our write could we Or :cheers:
This is the way
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

If you are a logged on member you can do it the way I do.

If you start at "Board Index", you can see which sections have posts that you have not read by the (orange) color scheme., then I go to each of those sections in order and if I don't see a thread that interests me I select "Mark Topics Read" at the top right of that section which marks all threads in that section as if I read them so they won't show up orange again on the next visit to that section.

If I do see a thread that I'm interested in I select it and use the "First Unread Post" at the top of that thread so that it skips automatically to the next post after the one I read last on that thread (no matter when it was).
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

prcscct wrote:Are there forums out there that arrange threads from newest to oldest posts? I've never thought about it or if changing the order would be user friendly. You would have to start at the bottom and read up to get the full story. Hmmmm....? Pete :cheers:
The order of posts can be selected in control panel.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

Thanks for all of the suggestions. It is great to ask a question and get an answer from so many. I also enjoy the humorous answers...always enjoy a good laugh! And to think I want to purchase a new iPhone4S. I hope there is a "forum" for that too!
:cheers:
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

Hi, you may want to read this: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10054 , it offers a good guide to how the forum works.