Post edit function disabled

Help us improve the forum! Make a suggestion for the board or ask questions here. This area is also for forum announcements.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

MrPlum wrote: I would have thought being able to edit hastily put together or ill-thought out, or even abusive (in the heat of the moment) posts is far more likely to occur than the odd one or two members having a tantrum. For me, it's usually 24 hours, after a good night's sleep, when I realize I've been too hasty.
15-30 minutes should be enough but agree that some sort of option should be available. I remember Buski saying something about a script he'd found but perhaps it's not compatable or reliable enough to put on the forum.
MrPlum wrote:There were a couple of threads where I deleted a few of my posts but simply to get rid of my contributions to the 'pissing contests' that had turned them into treacle. In other words I was trying to tidy up the board.

The answer you'll get there is that the forum is a record or diary etc of members conversations and is saved for posterity or reference by others, members or not, when the thread is no longer current. There's no point in have any records if they can be altered at will, is there? I used to edit for typos etc but now just check the preview more intently, regarding "other" editing reasons like being too pissed-up etc then have tried not to go on the forum when lashed, which is probably a good idea. :roll:
MrPlum wrote:Intervening sooner when members are going toe-to-toe would also reduce this treacle. Although am I right in thinking moderators are too busy to watch every thread?
Well, they are volunteers that have their own lives and to be honest it's pretty tame on HHAD, even in "Current Affairs" IMO.
MrPlum wrote:The other post deleter was Jockey who has left the board.
Hmmmmmmm.................
MrPlum wrote:Since few (I'm unreliably informed) were interested in his posts, how much of a loss are the posts he deleted? Likewise with me?
Having a tantrum and then deleting posts is spineless and equivalent to "throwing the teddy out of the pram". It is worth remembering that to post on such threads you have to be ready for all types of responses.
MrPlum wrote:Again, does it matter so much if old posts are deleted?
Again, back to the record/diary thing, my opinion probably doesn't carry far but the powers that be will say "Yes" and generally I agree.
MrPlum wrote:Having allowed some time to elapse and seen how convenient the feature was, I wonder whether any consideration might be given to restoring it?
Agree about it being convenient and I think some form of edit option should be allowed, even if only for a short while, but the full edit option would probably only be restored with a "strings attached" clause. I suppose if anyone pulls the kind of crap that went on before then Admin could relinquish the edit function for everyone and it would be the fault of that poster and be akin to the "sin bin" and collective punishment, this would probably keep everything/one in line as it's unlikely that a single poster would want to be singled out on the board as being the instigator of the suspension of the edit function for say 2-3 weeks or something.

Might be worth a try? :cheers:
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

spitfire wrote:Having a tantrum and then deleting posts is spineless
I suppose if anyone pulls the kind of crap that went on before
Please explain why you are using such inflammatory descriptions? I don't think my post invited it.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

No exclamation marks or punctuation to signify anything inflamatory, read it in any tone of voice in your head you want, try reading it again in a normal voice and don't assume the worst all the time dude. :|
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

spitfire wrote:No exclamation marks or punctuation to signify anything inflamatory, read it in any tone of voice in your head you want, try reading it again in a normal voice and don't assume the worst all the time dude. :|
Normally people prefix such comments with 'no offence intended' or 'nothing personal' which removes any doubt. A simple clarification would have sufficed.

I'm not your 'dude'.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Hmmm.....They really have got to you in "Current Affairs", now you're having a pop at everyone, even people that don't post in said forum. BTW, that explanation regarding prefixes is lame, what, you don't understand real punctuation? You think it's best to do a patronising explanation before you write something just in case someone's too stupid to realise? Do they do that in books or newspapers much? Very occasionally, that's why we have punctuation.

Read into it what you will. This is a good example of why your posts or threads end up as "treacle".

Couldn't find the "washing hands" emoticon.
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

spitfire wrote:Couldn't find the "washing hands" emoticon.
Then here's some rather inviting sinks for you Spitfire ....

:cheers:

SJ
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

spitfire wrote:Hmmm.....They really have got to you in "Current Affairs", now you're having a pop at everyone, even people that don't post in said forum.
Ok, Tiger. You've clarified. The rest isn't really necessary. :cheers:
"Let no one who has the slightest desire to live in peace and quietness be tempted, under any circumstances, to enter upon the chivalrous task of trying to correct a popular error."---William Thoms
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Thanks for the dignified response MrP, I assure you that my initial response to your post was an attempt, however flawed or not, to be constructive and in no way was constructed to uspet/annoy anyone.

Hopefully there will be some input from others too on the edit function debate as some time has passed since its imposition. I'm sure if enough people post on it then it will be "considered", under whatever format, again.

sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

Mr P wrote
The other post deleter was Jockey who has left the board. Since few (I'm unreliably informed) were interested in his posts, how much of a loss are the posts he deleted? Likewise with me?
I am speaking quietly but for me going back over some of those threads with jockey and your posts deleted it tends to make whatever points being made by all the other posters seem like gibberish because there is no context to their posts without the deleted ones
A Greatfull Guest of Thailand
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

spitfire wrote:Thanks for the dignified response MrP

Likewise. :thumb:
sargeant wrote:Mr P wrote
The other post deleter was Jockey who has left the board. Since few (I'm unreliably informed) were interested in his posts, how much of a loss are the posts he deleted? Likewise with me?
I am speaking quietly but for me going back over some of those threads with jockey and your posts deleted it tends to make whatever points being made by all the other posters seem like gibberish because there is no context to their posts without the deleted ones
Sure, Sarge, understood. I'm just asking the question since I certainly won't be deleting any posts in the future and I don't think sunseasand, etc.. wishes to go down that road again, either. If the two hapless criminals, and I've admitted my part, are no longer doing it, then doesn't the pendulum swing back towards the EDIT feature being more useful to everyone than not?

Just a thought.
"Let no one who has the slightest desire to live in peace and quietness be tempted, under any circumstances, to enter upon the chivalrous task of trying to correct a popular error."---William Thoms
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

deleting

Post by redzonerocker »

MrPlum wrote:If the two hapless criminals, and I've admitted my part, are no longer doing it, then doesn't the pendulum swing back towards the EDIT feature being more useful to everyone than not?
i would add myself to the hapless criminals list too :oops: :(
i deleted my contributions on the thread (after a plea via a PM) that was ultimately the one that led to the edit function being disabled :oops: :oops: :|
i thought i was doing the guy a favour :?

in my defence (weak as it is :|), i did the deleting in the small hours under the influence & on reflection the next day (before the s**t hit the fan :wink: ) i wished i hadn't been so hasty!! :|

as for reinstating the edit function, i'm not so sure it's the way to go.
there is the preview button for typo's etc & if you do post something in haste,out of context, insulting or rude, there is always the option to post an apology :thumb:

as for your poll alterations, aren't the mods able to alter posts?, or maybe by request this could be done??? :cheers:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I don't know how it could be acheived, but in a perfect world an edit function purely for such things as spelling and formatting errors without materially changing the post would be useful.
I post a lot from a mobile phone and it's much easier to make mistakes that I often don't notice until I get on the computer in the evening.
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

Oh for the edit button i should have added to my last post that my posts on those threads probably didnt have any context to them when first posted :oops: :shock: :D :cry: :? :) :roll: :lach: :lach: :lach:
A Greatfull Guest of Thailand
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

For those wanting to post a long post why not compile in Word, leave to chill in the fridge overnight and cut and paste in the morning after editing.

I find now I am using preview far more often and gives you a little time to reflect and edit accordingly :thumb:

I used to fire from the hip especially after getting Chang-ed and often be misinterpreted. Now I am "moderate" in my postings :thumb:

ps Huahinian, I have discovered this word moderate in a dictionary :D
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Rider
Ace
Ace

Post by Rider »

I think the edit function should be brought back. I do lengthy trip reports and although I usually have the time to buzz it out in word or elsewhere I have to use specific link formats for my pics.
Now when I'm posting blogs here there and everywhere in different forums it's easy to forget what HHADs is.
Each one has a different format for pictures and if I get the format tags wrong the trip report will just be words and no pictures.

Ok, so I'd usually edit and correct that, but now the edit function is sunk I can't do that, so have to either ask for a mod to delete the post and start again or add another post, duplicated the whole thing again!