Post edit function disabled

Help us improve the forum! Make a suggestion for the board or ask questions here. This area is also for forum announcements.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Just a thought :idea:

If there was a time limit for editing a post, what would happen if in answer to the OP someone used the quote button to include the original offending post in their answer.

Would the MODs have to trawl through the whole thread, to edit out the offending passage that others may have quoted in their answer?

I'm not sure if, when a Mod does one edit it works for every post with the offending script. If not, it will be a lot of work for the Mods. :cry:

Having said that, I for one would like to be able to edit my posts, if even only for typo's, as I often forget to use the spoll chackkkker. :roll:

:cheers:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

spitfire wrote:2000 might be a bit high BaaBaa. Being true to your avatar though. :wink:
I noted your post count which gave me the figure of 2000. :P :wink:
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Not trying to get into any trouble here as this is my favorite forum but I am active in a few others and most of them (that do it) disable the edit function only after a successive post in the same thread.

Just a thought... :D
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

hhfarang wrote:Not trying to get into any trouble here as this is my favorite forum but I am active in a few others and most of them (that do it) disable the edit function only after a successive post in the same thread.

hear hear
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

hhfarang wrote:Not trying to get into any trouble here as this is my favorite forum but I am active in a few others and most of them (that do it) disable the edit function only after a successive post in the same thread.

Me thinks different forum software. I think ours is all or nothing and not by individual. Wait for Christmas. :D Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

In some of the sub-forums like Sport there is an 'X' which lets you delete your whole post. Could this be active for 5 minutes or so then it dissapears!? Don't know if software can easily do this ?

Must say the 'Preview' function works well, never used it before :oops:

SJ
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Must say the 'Preview' function works well, never used it before
That has been obvious SJ... :P :D :D :D :cheers:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

The fact the edit function has been removed has not caused me any prblms. :thumb:
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

caller wrote:The fact the edit function has been removed has not caused me any prblms. :thumb:
Has somebody spilt someting in your keyboard as well? :D
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

buksida wrote:..............but there maybe a script on the phpBB site.
Any further news Mr B on the possibility of swift/short time edit function.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yeah I have found something but it will need testing before it can be installed on this board.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

All of you just have to do as I do, and never make mistea*kz
Rider
Ace
Ace

Post by Rider »

Lev sends out the waves and we're rockin' in the boat now :)

I can't say I agree with this new rule on HHAD one iota. It's like punishing the good guys AND the bad guys together as one big blanket punishment.

I usually am so busy buzzing about on the net doing other things I post from the hip and edit it thereafter.
I know others are careful aimers but...
I think a fair few others are of the quick-draw mcgraw school too
There's going to some gimpish posts appearing because of this :o :D
buksida

Post by buksida »

Rider wrote:It's like punishing the good guys AND the bad guys together as one big blanket punishment.
Anyone living in Thailand should be used to this. :mrgreen:

We're still working on the time-edit function but the code is a little cranky with this version.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

I have wanted to improve the reading of a number of my posts lately, for instance changing the Global Warning poll question to Global Warning - Your Chance To Vote, which would separate it more clearly from the other thread that is running.

I would have thought being able to edit hastily put together or ill-thought out, or even abusive (in the heat of the moment) posts is far more likely to occur than the odd one or two members having a tantrum. For me, it's usually 24 hours, after a good night's sleep, when I realize I've been too hasty.

There were a couple of threads where I deleted a few of my posts but simply to get rid of my contributions to the 'pissing contests' that had turned them into treacle. In other words I was trying to tidy up the board. One word from a moderator and I would have stopped.

Intervening sooner when members are going toe-to-toe would also reduce this treacle. Although am I right in thinking moderators are too busy to watch every thread?

The other post deleter was Jockey who has left the board. Since few (I'm unreliably informed) were interested in his posts, how much of a loss are the posts he deleted? Likewise with me?

I rarely go back to old topics myself. Especially when they drop off the front page. Again, does it matter so much if old posts are deleted?

Having allowed some time to elapse and seen how convenient the feature was, I wonder whether any consideration might be given to restoring it?

Do other members concur?
"Let no one who has the slightest desire to live in peace and quietness be tempted, under any circumstances, to enter upon the chivalrous task of trying to correct a popular error."---William Thoms