Language?

Help us improve the forum! Make a suggestion for the board or ask questions here. This area is also for forum announcements.
Chas
Banned
Banned

Language?

Post by Chas »

I hope it is OK mods to start this topic. Please advise if not . .I mean it to be a general members kind of discussion.

This is just a general question here, not meant to be critical of the forum, mods or anyone really, but I am continually seeing expressions like the following throughout the postings:

P*ss o*f,
sh*t,
Take the p*ss,
ar--- H---
go to H-ll.

and like that.

Now anyone who is reading this, and I would include any kids you might have old enough to do so, knows immediately what is meant. The actual word/ expression is in no way hidden and the result just comes across coy and rather "cutesy" or affected.

If you are going to use the word "p*ss" at all, why not just use it?
I can't think who is going to be offended by the use of the actual word, you hear all of the above and worse every day.

Perhaps the writer simply NOT use these words at all even in abbreviated form?

I hope this is a general enough topic here mods. . if not, remove and IM me. I checked the rules too. .and they dont seem to say that p*ss has to be used instead of the full word.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

I think certain words that have been deemed a 'red flag' are already auto stared out. Just tried it in the 'preview' section of posting.

Have a go, never noticed that before. :cheers:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

spitfire wrote:I think certain words that have been deemed a 'red flag' are already auto stared out. Just tried it in the 'preview' section of posting.

Have a go, never noticed that before. :cheers:
I didn't know that, I always edit myself you foul mouthed cunt.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

:laugh:, yeah BaaBaa!

:idea: I'll give it another go.

**** *********** ******, *******, ********, I said **** ******* ********, drunken **** *********** **********, ********, *********** **** ********, say again **** ******** ****** ********** *******. ***** ***** ***********?

Let see how that does when I hit the submit button. :wink:
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

:shock:

They must have up-graded it!

:run:
Chas
Banned
Banned

red flag?

Post by Chas »

Now, that is interesting. I never considered that it was something automatic.

I just thought everyone was being a bit too cute.

Now you Brits can scarcely write anything without using the word piss in some form or the other. .so I wonder at its inclusion in a list of banned words. ( Thats half your vocabuary gone right there isnt it!!?)

( Please dont attack. . . .I am only joking!!!)
:cheers:

I will PM Lev about it though as whatever list exists is a mod thing and I dont want to get in to hot water here. And I dont really belong to other forums so I dont know what is usual either.
Chas
Banned
Banned

Huh?

Post by Chas »

Well, I typed in the full word (p*ss) and it registered OK in the previous. So it cant be an automatic function then.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Hi Chas, just a bit of messing around above but you will find a couple of the stronger swear words are auto-stared out, not too many but try the most obvious.

Don't know what you're talking about, all the Brits are very eloquent on here :wink: , I even write phrasal verbs/slang etc in italics and put euphemisms in speech marks for ease of reading.

:thumb:
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

We do have a language filter which takes out the worst expletives.
Chas
Banned
Banned

Thanks Lev.

Post by Chas »

Thanks Lev. I did not know that.

I DO agree that some words are on the offensive side and may need filtering, though my gut reaction is always against censorship of any kind.

But I understand and they are probably terms I wouldnt use in a post anyway!

So all the editing of piss is done by the posters themselves?

Which gets me right back to my original post here. .why do it guys? IMHO it is silly.
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Thanks Lev.

Post by Lev »

Chas wrote: I DO agree that some words are on the offensive side and may need filtering, though my gut reaction is always against censorship of any kind.
We agree which is why we have only filtered the most offensive ones, I think "piss" is still allowed, the moderators do not edit any expletives it is done automatically by the filter in the software.