Book swap

Hook up with friends, arrange meetings, outings and visa trips here.
elem
Professional
Professional

Post by elem »

...schoolboy humour or not -I swear the last couple of books I got, look a bit sticky there on the shelf....

Lev, what about the OP? Pls pm me to explain or re-phrase
8)
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.[Benjamin Franklin]
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

Elem; the original poster (OP) have left Hua Hin and thus the forum.
She's now living in Pranburi without access to the internet.
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Anybody interested in a swap in the next week or two?
This is the way
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

book swap

Post by lindosfan1 »

Include me in running out of good books.and probably 1 other
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
huahinjim
Professional
Professional

Post by huahinjim »

I'm interested. Prefer 25th but will try to make 18th if that is better for the majority but would need to leave by 4pm.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Okeydoke, anything to oblige - Saturday 25th 3-4 pm at Dick's Office?

All agreed say 'Aye'.

Anybody who needs directions to Dick's Office look at the first page or two of this thread.
This is the way
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Wanderlust wrote:Chas,
Soi Sarawat is Soi 80, on the mountain side of Petchkasem. There is a 7-11 on the north corner of it. The name of the bar is 'Dick's Office' and it is about 100 - 150 metres up the soi on the left hand side, past Butterfly Rock (if you know where that is). Square D9 on the Hua Hin City Map.
Hope that helps :D
This is the way
niggle
Guru
Guru

Post by niggle »

Aye
Chas
Banned
Banned

Terrific idea

Post by Chas »

Aye. Just give the time and place and I'll be there.

Dare I mention again building up a bit of camaraderie/ getting to know you around this meeting by making it a different time and place. .and perhaps focusing a bit more on meeting other readers as opposed to just popping in to snatch books?

Maybe a second swap/ meeting for people who are allowed out at night?

3-4 in the afternoon is just not conducive to sitting down for a beer nor is it a time of day when a meal might be shared. ( OK, I can hear a lot of you thinking that anytime is time for a beer, but I rarely drink and never so early in the day.)

It just seems like we are missing an opportunity to build a bit of real-time, real life, non-internet community here.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

book

Post by lindosfan1 »

aye aye
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Re: Terrific idea

Post by Wanderlust »

Chas wrote:Aye. Just give the time and place and I'll be there.

Dare I mention again building up a bit of camaraderie/ getting to know you around this meeting by making it a different time and place. .and perhaps focusing a bit more on meeting other readers as opposed to just popping in to snatch books?

Maybe a second swap/ meeting for people who are allowed out at night?

3-4 in the afternoon is just not conducive to sitting down for a beer nor is it a time of day when a meal might be shared. ( OK, I can hear a lot of you thinking that anytime is time for a beer, but I rarely drink and never so early in the day.)

It just seems like we are missing an opportunity to build a bit of real-time, real life, non-internet community here.
Chas,
I don't know if Dawn will be attending, but i think the time was set by her as the instigator of it to fit in with her schedule of the dogs and her little boy; if she is no longer involved then i would think you have scope to change whatever you want with the agreement of everyone. Even if Dawn is involved she may well be able to be more flexible now - I think lindosfan may know more about that?
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

dtaai-maai wrote: Saturday 25th 3-4 pm at Dick's Office...
Thanks for the input, WL, hope to see you there!

Chas, evenings (and a social club) are a no-no for me, I'm afraid. We aren't all retired, and I already have a real life! :D No reason why you can't arrange any kind of informal gathering at any time and any place, with or without books. :thumb:

It seems to have worked quite well as it is for the last year or so at Dick's Office. If it ain't broke...
This is the way
Chas
Banned
Banned

OK anyone else?

Post by Chas »

Dm thats fine for you but just because I expressed a desire to get to know a few other “readers” here in Hua Hin in person you need not disparage my idea and imply that I dont have a life...I do. I am teaching daily and have many ( mostly Thai) friends & family.

I just think it rather sad that I dont really know anyone on this forum in person and I thought this might be an opportunity for myself and others perhaps . .retired or not. . to make another friend or two in town with the common interest of reading.

You say just meet informally someplace with anybody anytime. ..I dont understand how to propose such a thing here because you would probably want to have some theme or commonality other than just being an HHAD poster.

I tried once with proposing an amateur theatre company. which can be great fun and a great way to make friends with others. It went nowhere because of restrictive visa laws.

Some of us tried once to get a Tai Chi class going. That went nowhere.

I’m not British and I'm not into the bar scene. . .that and the fact that I know nothing about football or sports puts me in a minority here.

So how about the rest of you?
huahinjim
Professional
Professional

Post by huahinjim »

OK Dtaai Maai - As I suggested the 25th I had better vote Aye!! 25th at 3pm, Dick's Office for book swap.
=====
Chas - why not just suggest a day/ time/ place and see what response you get from the forum members? Like you I don't drink & not overly bothered about sport so now it's a minority of 2 :) Happy to stay in town after the book swap if there are sufficient numbers to make it worthwhile.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: OK anyone else?

Post by dtaai-maai »

Chas wrote:Dm thats fine for you but just because I expressed a desire to get to know a few other “readers” here in Hua Hin in person you need not disparage my idea and imply that I dont have a life...I do. I am teaching daily and have many ( mostly Thai) friends & family.

I just think it rather sad that I dont really know anyone on this forum in person and I thought this might be an opportunity for myself and others perhaps . .retired or not. . to make another friend or two in town with the common interest of reading.

You say just meet informally someplace with anybody anytime. ..I dont understand how to propose such a thing here because you would probably want to have some theme or commonality other than just being an HHAD poster.

I tried once with proposing an amateur theatre company. which can be great fun and a great way to make friends with others. It went nowhere because of restrictive visa laws.

Some of us tried once to get a Tai Chi class going. That went nowhere.

I’m not British and I'm not into the bar scene. . .that and the fact that I know nothing about football or sports puts me in a minority here.

So how about the rest of you?
Bit sensitive there, Chas - when I'm trying to be disparaging, it's usually pretty obvious. All I meant was that I can't do evenings and I'm not interested in the social side of it. You said you wanted a real life, I said I had one. I mentioned retirement because when we met I thought you told me you'd stopped teaching. Sorry if I got that wrong.

Got any decent books to snatch? :cheers:
This is the way