VISA RUN?

Hook up with friends, arrange meetings, outings and visa trips here.
peterjon
Amateur
Amateur

VISA RUN?

Post by peterjon »

Looking to go on a visa run from Hua Hin on or before 23 FEBRUARY 2006.

Can anyone give me information please?
Last edited by peterjon on Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

Are you going to Ranong?
Can you please specify more of what information you need.
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
peterjon
Amateur
Amateur

Visa Run

Post by peterjon »

Not sure where to go for the best, but if you suggest Ranong that will be fine. Just as long as we can get the visa renewed I am not fussy.
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

Peter,

From my experience, the easiest and quickest is Ranong, then across on a boat to Burma (take some nose plugs).
If you leave early enough you can get back to HH by early evening. Some people decide to stay overnight once you get back to Thailand from Burma. Ranong is a bit dead for me, we stay overnight in Chumpon. Some nice restaurants/bars there.

Another trip that's ok but longer/more expensive is Aranyapratet, then across the border to Cambodia. Leave early and you can get your visa and be in downtown Bangkok by 5pm, and do an overnight stop there.

Burger

PS: There's various bus and taxi services that cover the above if you did not want to drive yourself.
peterjon
Amateur
Amateur

VISA RUN?

Post by peterjon »

Many thanks.

Do you travel by car?

What is the proceedure when you get into Burma, do you just get your visa stamp and come staright back or do you have to pay or produce photos?
I am renewing my Type "B" non imigrant visa, multiple entry.

2 of my freinds are renewing their 30 day visitors visa is there any thing special we need to take also?
lomuamart

Re: VISA RUN?

Post by lomuamart »

peterjon wrote:Many thanks.

Do you travel by car?

What is the proceedure when you get into Burma, do you just get your visa stamp and come staright back or do you have to pay or produce photos?
I am renewing my Type "B" non imigrant visa, multiple entry.

2 of my freinds are renewing their 30 day visitors visa is there any thing special we need to take also?
Big point here.
You cannot get a new visa in Burma at Victoria Point. There is no Thai Emb/consulate to do it.
I'm assuming you mean you need a new visa. All that can be done from Ranong is exit/entry.
Your friends on 30 days will have no problem.
Nothing special need be taken, except for yourselves and your passports.
There are a number of ways to do it. Hire a car and do it yourselves would be my first option. Taxi's another. Public bus a poor third. I did it yesterday. Bus leaves HH for Phuket at 8am. You'll be back in town around 1am - 17 hours!!
If you want the telephone number of a reliable chap who'll pick you up from wherever in Ranong, take to imm, sort the boat out and return for a reasonable amount, PM and I'll give it to you. I always use him.
Farang
Ace
Ace

Post by Farang »

'
Make sure you have a watertight place to keep your effects when in Ranong. There's a risk of getting
them wet either by rain or by spray while crossing over to Victoria Point. A disposable rain pocho
would also be a good idea. It rains often in Ranong even during the dry season. *
A bit of a towel is good to have so you can dry your hands before handling the visa papers.
If you take the longtail boat at the pier the trip there and back is 300 B for the boat, not for the person.

*Average rainfall in Ranong 4331 mm/a, Hua Hin 950 mm/a
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Calm as a millpond down there yesterday. Hasn't been any rain for weeks according to the locals.
However, the day you go it'll be pissing down and you'll wish you'd taken some sea sickness tablets.
Sound advice above.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Last couple of times that I've done the Ranong run, I've done it to Andaman Club. A bit more expensive (taxi from downtown, return about 300-500 baht + boat and visa 650 baht) but safer and more convenient than the longtail boats. Also if you looking for the "blues" you won't find them at AC.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Anybody going to Ranong on 4th or 5th of March?
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Looks like nobody else is going, so its "On The Buses" time again. Lomu, when you've done it as one day trip (or night in Chumphon, which I'm planning to do), what time have you started off from HH? I suppose there are couple of buses leaving HH at about 23.00 and 01.00 from the clock tower. How easy is it to get a seat in these ones? Any other suggestions? I'd like to go to Ranong, do the vr and then go on to Chumphon and spend the night there.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

BG,
I always get the 8am bus from HH - goes to Phuket. Arrive Ranong 2-3pm. Business there takes about 2 hours and you can be on a Chumpon bus at 5.30pm. The next one's not till 7pm.
Don't know about the night time busses.
I've got a tel number of a chap who'll pick you up at Ranong bus station, take you to imm, then to pier and sort the boat out and return. Charged me 700 baht all in, including the 5 dollars.
PM if you want his number. He's reliable.
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

BG,

There's a 2am train to Chumpon, followed by bus service to and from Rayong.
I've never done it but friend does.

Burger