Termite protection

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
ozuncle
Guru
Guru

Termite protection

Post by ozuncle »

Hello all,
Burger you recently mentioned that you had a 3 month service done.
Should it be done every 3 months?
Can you or anyone please recommend a good company.
Thank you. :cheers:
You only live once.
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

Hi mate,

All companies start off good, then tail away a bit unless you keep on top of them.
We use one a West out of town up the Pala-U Road in Soi Mon-Mae, maybe not local to you ??

For a 3 bed bungalow, they charge 5,000 Baht per year, come every 3 months and spray around the garden and also in the roof space where the termites get in by all accounts, they come up the walls between the small gaps between the render and the bricks. So I'm told.

There's loads of companies around though.

And beware, lots of people bring them into their house via furniture that infected.

Burger
ozuncle
Guru
Guru

Post by ozuncle »

Thanks for that. We are South, so I will get the family to chase someone up in the next few weeks. I won't be there till Xmas.
I think we have got black plastic pipes under the house. Are they part of the same termite service?
You only live once.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

We've been using a service for more than a year. Have to look up the company. They charge 7,000 baht for the year. I have a large 5 bedroom house on more than a rai of land. They come monthly and smoke all the drains around the land, spray all the nooks and crannies throughout the house and containers of rat poison in places where rats may like to dwell.

I can't say whether they're effective as they were engaged on moving into our new house. We haven't had a problem with pests since being here. Not sure whether that's down to the company or not. So, we have recently cancelled their service and we're going to wait 6 months to see if we do get any pests. If we do then of course we'll get them back. Thai neighbours dont seem to have a pest problem and they've been here for years without treatment!
dstarkey
Rookie
Rookie

Termites

Post by dstarkey »

Advice please our house is 12 months old normal build brick walls, metal roof etc medium size garden should we be arraging spraying for pest etc
D E Starkey
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

HHTel wrote:
So, we have recently cancelled their service and we're going to wait 6 months to see if we do get any pests. If we do then of course we'll get them back. Thai neighbours dont seem to have a pest problem and they've been here for years without treatment
Will you, or an expert, be checking above the ceiling void during those 6 months to see if there's any termite action ?? You won't see it from underneath. For the sake of a few thousant Baht a year, it'sbetter to be safe than sorry.

DStarkey wrote:
Advice please our house is 12 months old normal build brick walls, metal roof etc medium size garden should we be arraging spraying for pest etc
Yes, about 12 months ago :shock:
It costs peanuts mate to have a years contract.

Burger
splitlid
Guru
Guru

Post by splitlid »

save 7000 baht a year simply, by purchasing cans of insect spray and systematically spraying the house and surrounding area.

:shock: :shock:

crazy people, its only your house, not like its anything important you are protecting. :shock: :shock: so go on and buy half a dozen cans of mortein.
youll save so much money.
"All the otters don't understand me"
"We might make you bother"
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

The only trouble with the insect spray is that it spoils the taste.

I have an old Thai Heritage wooden building where about ten cans of spray were used before polyurethane. It was an effective combination and over five years a cheap one. It seems they do not or cannot penetrate polyurethane. Its expensive at first but lasts for years and is hardly affected by sunlight or water. You have to do it yourself as Thais don't understand Polyurethane. The technology is less than fifty years old and it doesn't make a noise.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Termites

Post by Guess »

dstarkey wrote:Advice please our house is 12 months old normal build brick walls, metal roof etc medium size garden should we be arraging spraying for pest etc
No, I think you ought to spend most of your time making sure it remains standing.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
dolly.samson
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dolly.samson »

We use Asia Pest Control. They dutifully come out once a month and spray around the interior floors of the house and spritz some stuff on the plants. Seems to do the job, but it leaves an unsightly white film around the floors.
jony454
Novice
Novice

Re: Termite protection

Post by jony454 »

Hello,

Could any one suggest me termite protection for my garden, like some organic pest control?