Power Washing of Concrete Required

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Power Washing of Concrete Required

Post by Khundon1975 »

HHTel wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:53 pm I think in most cases, the laying of porous concrete is by accident rather than by design!!
That was my initial impression HHTel, having seen some “concrete” being mixed and poured in the LOS.
However, the OP said his concrete came from a concrete truck, so I would expect that to be of a certain quality, as it should have come from a concrete batching plant, where quality can be better controlled.

robcar said he has a driveway made from “absorbant concrete” and I’ve no reason to disbelieve him. It’s just that TIT and most developers tend to cut corners and many save money by not using the required amount of cement in their concrete.
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
robcar
Professional
Professional

Post by robcar »

Hi Khundon, I rent so the concrete was already in place. There are patches at the bottom of an external wall where it has discoloured but I'm sure a blast with a pressure washer will shift that.
Not very good with photo's I'm afraid but have had a look around the web and found this similar material
https://www.shutterstock.com/image-phot ... 1RKpIQ-2-4

The top photo is very similar to my installation

Hope this helps
robcar
Professional
Professional

Post by robcar »

You are very welcome to come and have a look if you're in my area anytime :)
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

robcar thanks for the invite, wife going out for a few months in August, but I’m stuck in UK. 😟

That concrete in the picture looks to be an “exposed aggregate” type concrete. Where the surface sand and cement has been washed off, whilst the concrete was still wet. A bit like sand wash, but using larger aggregate.
Not easy to tell from pic. 👍
robcar
Professional
Professional

Post by robcar »

Mrs Khundon is welcome to come and take a few photo's if she's in the area. I am coming to your side of the pond mid September for 3 weeks but there will be someone here for access.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

robcar wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:00 pm Mrs Khundon is welcome to come and take a few photo's if she's in the area. I am coming to your side of the pond mid September for 3 weeks but there will be someone here for access.
Thanks for the offer robcar but Hua Hin is not on her itinerary this time around.
It’s BKK, Burma, Japan, China then the rest will be spent in Nakhon Sawon and Chaing Rai I’m afraid.
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

Sorry to report about not much success.
I put pure bleach on a small area on Thursday afternoon. On Friday there was not much change on the stain so I put more bleach. On Friday afternoon I washed but no change.
I borrowed a friends Bosch power washer and this morning blasted(?) the area but no improvement , yes it made the non stained concrete area better but no change on the various stains - any deas?
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

PET wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:49 pm Would the pressure washer work with a mixture of bleach also
Sorry, I missed that part of the question. Yes, they all have a small reservoir - I often mix in Dettol when cleansing after the dogs have been in the area.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

I have put some bleach onto the stains and waited an hour, then used the power wash but hardly anything changed. My wife tells me that she thinks the stains have come from the water used from our 80mt deep well so I do not know if she is correct. Anyway somebody has suggested I cover the 140sm with Stamped Concrete but what could be the expected cost because I had not heard about this before?
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

If the difference in colour bothers you, get some concrete stain or paint and do it yourself. The stuff that they put on the mosaic interlocking blocks seems to last forever.
PS surprised you're still allowed to use a deep well?
วินเชนท์
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

PET wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:35 am I have put some bleach onto the stains and waited an hour, then used the power wash but hardly anything changed. My wife tells me that she thinks the stains have come from the water used from our 80mt deep well so I do not know if she is correct. Anyway somebody has suggested I cover the 140sm with Stamped Concrete but what could be the expected cost because I had not heard about this before?
“Stamped concrete” is concrete that is applied to a surface, then when slightly set, stamped with a mould using a vibrating machine or possibly hand stamped.
Various patterns can be achieved using this method.

If coloured concrete is required, it can either be added to concrete in the mixer, or more usually, applied as powder or liquid dye to the drying surface.
No idea of the price, but it would be an expensive way to cover a few stains.
Plenty on google about it.
👌
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I'm at a loss now especially concerning the dog shampoo stains as I've used bleach before to get rid of minor stains at my place. This dog shampoo must have some kind of significant chemicals in it to make it unremovable.

Bore water I'm not surprised. We have a 50m well here and the minerals that are in that water will stain just about anything very easily, and difficult to impossible to get them out. We use it for garden purposes only but made the mistake long ago of letting the lawn sprinklers hit the house paint and there was no way to remove the stains short of scraping/blasting and repainting. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Good News !! The sandwash workers left behind some hydrochloric Acid ages ago, and my wife used some on a small area of stained concrete. Poured over a small amount and then added a little water and brushed with a broom - the result looks good. So need to buy more tomorrow and do all the stains - with the dogs housebound.
Musungu please note this
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.