Buying clothes, haircut, shave, toiletries.

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
Rshome123
Rookie
Rookie

Buying clothes, haircut, shave, toiletries.

Post by Rshome123 »

Travelling in to Hua Hin early next year. Anyone suggest a good cheap area to buy all of the above things mention in the subject.
heartofmidlothian
Professional
Professional

Re: Buying clothes, haircut, shave, toiletries.

Post by heartofmidlothian »

Must be your first time visiting here. Don't worry, everything you want is everywhere and cheap.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Apart from toiletries which are IMHO outrageously expensive.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I've always thought that toiletries are cheap but now I think about it they probably aren't.
However, pretty much anything you need will be here - including all the brand names.
EDIT every month, I mean to make a note of how much I spend on toiletries and never do. If you're taking 3 showers a day then things mount up.
In the UK, I'd just go dirty!!
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Post by theprice01 »

i find shower gel cheap enough...but sun cream, is not
When nosy expats ask how can i live here without working, i reply, 'well, while you worked hard for 50 years, i worked smart for 5 years' :D
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm thinking more of antiperspirant, shaving gel and razor blades.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

With regards to toiletries it's not just price but also certain products may not be available, so on both counts best to bring your favourite brands with you. Clothes are very much a personal taste so just look and see if there's anything you like. As for a haircut and shave, you'll be spoilt for where to go!!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Wow Someone would really ask this question?
Is Thailand now the Kalahari desert or Sudan or Afghanistan and does not have normal shops?
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I've always thought that toiletries are cheap
Check things that Thais don't normally use like shaving cream (or razors or blades). I use an electric razor, but my wife who lived in the U.S. got into the habit of "no hair except on the head" and her shaving cream is expensive... incidently they have none here especially made for women like in western countries so she has to settle for men's face shaving cream or gel for all parts of her body... :P .
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

^
Yes, razors and blades I get requests all the time to bring back Gillette Fusion.
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

I buy Red Bull and Beer brands t-shirts from the night market and short sleeved shirts and tailored shorts from Tesco and Big C for between 200 and 300 baht per item.

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

Rshome123 wrote:Travelling in to Hua Hin early next year. Anyone suggest a good cheap area to buy all of the above things mention in the subject.
This is planet Earth. You are not on the moon.
A friend is only one click away
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It can all be daunting though for a newcomer. Who gets a shave these days in a barber shop? Forget it IMO...do it yourself, bring your own cartridges/razor/cream-gel. If you're here when they run out, they can be found but cost more.

Haircut salons all over the place but be ready to use sign language and point to various clipper heads depending upon the cut you want. Short = the word "sun" more or less. That doesn't mean bald...they'll take it down to a business like cut with short on the sides. You want it short and even everywhere but not bald...point to the #4 clipper head. Not quite military but almost. If you want a scissor cut and only clippers on the edges, many shops you'll be in the chair for an hour.

Clothes, don't believe the label. There is a difference between Thai sizes and international sizes. A Thai L is a foreign M at best. Try everything on. If in a market and you can't try on, hold it up and gauge things. Again.....totally ignore any size label present.

After shave etc.,....bring a cheap bottle of Gillette with you. Get anything else at the airport duty free on the way home, or during Bangkok shopping in an up market store....and maybe save $2.00 compared to the airport. Thais do use antiperspirant and it's not expensive. I recall the name "Boss" as being very popular, assuming you're a man. I don't use it as I sweat beer and wine only. :shock:

Come and enjoy your holiday and don't worry about this stuff. Go native...enjoy the culture....anything can be found in one form or another. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^ Good answer Pete.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Rshome123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Rshome123 »

Thanks for the advice.. Very helpful, especially Pete.