Livestock supplies

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Livestock supplies

Post by Takiap »

No, I'm not about to start farming but I do have a goat, so of course I'm bound to require certain supplies from time to time. Amongst other things, I need to get a salt lick for her as well as some general health care products such as de-worming medicine which I can then administer myself. She also seems to have a slight problem with her one back leg. My problem is that I have been unable to find a place which sells such things, and even worse, none of the local vets are willing to work with a goat, saying they only do cats and dogs. Any advice welcome.
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Livestock supplies

Post by Nereus »

Takiap wrote:No, I'm not about to start farming but I do have a goat, so of course I'm bound to require certain supplies from time to time. Amongst other things, I need to get a salt lick for her as well as some general health care products such as de-worming medicine which I can then administer myself. She also seems to have a slight problem with her one back leg. My problem is that I have been unable to find a place which sells such things, and even worse, none of the local vets are willing to work with a goat, saying they only do cats and dogs. Any advice welcome.
Roasted, or even BBQ, is good with a young goat. :thumb:

There is a huge amount of info on the Internet about keeping goats. Be aware that there are several different types of worms, and therefore require different treatment.
A salt lick in itself may not be required, but some form of supplement would be good. Dry oatmeal is recommended, but raw grain can kill them.

For her back leg (has she only one?), take a close look at her hooves, they may need trimming back, or foot rot may be starting to affect her leg.

Going on some of the cattle that I see wandering around, and the poor condition that they are in, I suspect that you will have trouble trying to find any commercial treatments. The guy that you got her from is probably your best bet.

Merry Christmas. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

My local PYB just spent 500k on a cow so there must be a vet around. He keeps racing cows as well and they are not cheap. Try some of the farming magazines.

Crazy 88
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

crazy88 wrote:He keeps racing cows as well ...
Does he beat them? :D
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

opened myself up to that one

:lach:

Crazy 88
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Wanderlust wrote:
crazy88 wrote:He keeps racing cows as well ...
Does he beat them? :D
only when they are loosing :D