Tops Supermarket in Hua Hin?

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Tops Supermarket in Hua Hin?

Post by Dannie Boy »

europtimiste wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:04 am
HHTel wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:27 am Only guessing but.... I accused you of an inane comment and you responded that I'm insane.

You do know the difference between the two words?
All my comments are inane.
A simple information about opening of this supermarket would be enough.
Europtomiste, you forgot one word in your reply, so I have kindly inserted it for you.

Best regards
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:32 am
europtimiste wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:04 am
HHTel wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:27 am Only guessing but.... I accused you of an inane comment and you responded that I'm insane.

You do know the difference between the two words?
Europtomiste, you forgot one word in your reply, so I have kindly inserted it for you.

Best regards
If it's helpful for your mental masturbation, OK
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

europtimiste wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:28 pm

Best regards
[/quote]

If it's helpful for your mental masturbation, OK
[/quote]
There’s only one thing mental around here - I’m sure you know who?
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

:offtopic: Please.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Aw, just when we were having fun! But of course your correct, Lev.
HHCanuck
Professional
Professional

Post by HHCanuck »

europtimiste wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:42 pm If you miss the food of your countries: My advise: GO BACK.
Wow wasn't expecting to read that this morning especially on a thread discussing food. HH forum is usually usually more classy then others like TV forum.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Well, Tops coming to town is no big deal for me, but seeing as though I am in the area almost daily, I will pop in every now and then to see if there's anything interest or any good deals. I eat farang type meals almost exclusively these days, all of which are prepared by me, but I find I don't really need many imported foods/items.

PS: Europtimiste, what advice do you have for all the Thai people who like/want to eat Farang food? Where should they go back to?

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Takiap wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:43 pm Well, Tops coming to town is no big deal for me, but seeing as though I am in the area almost daily, I will pop in every now and then to see if there's anything interest or any good deals. I eat farang type meals almost exclusively these days, all of which are prepared by me, but I find I don't really need many imported foods/items.

PS: Europtimiste, what advice do you have for all the Thai people who like/want to eat Farang food? Where should they go back to?

:cheers:
My message was targeting all those [Mod Edit - phrase intended to take this thread off track removed - final warning] excited by Tops soon opening. Seems they miss their home food.
I daily eat Thai food and rarely imported food as cheese. I can even find locally made foreign specialities as coppa ham, salami and..and..and.
Information is useful, but all those comments and excitement is really ridiculous.
We have MV, BigC, Makro, Blueport, Villa Market and as I mentioned some privates selling imported food.
Thai people who like farang food have THE CHOICE among all those shops.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Well, it opened yesterday, and of course, Mrs BB wanted to take a look. Couldn't get near the place yesterday, so we popped in this morning.

It's well documented on this forum regarding my thoughts on shopping, but I tagged along anyway.

As would be expected shelves were well stocked, and included quite a few Waitrose products, which was a pleasant surprise. Obviously, for the most part, it was just another supermarket, selling the same items - the big difference is price. I stopped at about a dozen items that I know the Tesco price of, and they were very comparable. Price of beef scared the hell out of me - is that per Kg or per cow?

A nice shop, but there was nothing really there to drag us away from Tesco. We might nip in occasionally if they don't have something in Tesco i.e. we pass it on the way home. The Waitrose range may attract us from time to time as well - such a shame Tesco have cut right back on the Tesco range over the last year.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

Had a look there today. Not small but cramped. Nothing there that can't be bought at other places. Farang food just a little more than Tesco but much, much less than Villa Market or Bluport. Not much parking space. No real reason to go again.
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

Haven't read all the posts, but where is it (Tops Hua Hin)?

Thank you, hahuahin
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Petchkasem end of Soi 88. Sharing the building with Power Buy.

Points 41; Position 18
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I went there for the first time in the week to have a look around and went back yesterday to buy a few things.

On my fist visit, I looked for the things I liked that I can't get elsewhere and they had some in stock, one they had already sold out of and there were a few things missing. So I met with their customer service people and asked if they could consider stocking them, they made a note and said they would call me.

None of these items are basics, which you can get anywhere, well apart from Waitrose cheese, which I was surprised to find they don't stock at all, but others included biscuits and breakfast cereal stuff.

On the plus side, they sell Waitrose and Carrefour frozen pizzas, I like to keep a couple in the freezer in case I can't be a**ed to cook or go out for something and I think the quality is better than what VM stock. I got a Cambozola blue cheese @ 150 baht, which I haven't seen elsewhere and is way cheaper than other blue cheeses I like, which they also stock (and are also stocked at VM/GM). But the proof will be in the tasting.

Most of the Waitrose stuff I like is there, but other non-Waitrose brands, that they own and are sold in Bangkok weren't, hence my chat with customer services. As per the kipper thread, I forgot to look for kippers and also forgot to look for Dickinson and Morris pork pies, which are an occasional treat.

But the biggest shock, which no-one has mentioned, is that they don't sell alcohol at all. I find that really odd.

So will I use it again? Yes, for the things I like that only TOPs supply, as and when I want or need them, in the same way I use VM (see the kipper thread again). But it is a small store and I wonder if not many Thais use it, whether they might increase the stock of farang foods instead?
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

caller wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:08 pm But the biggest shock, which no-one has mentioned, is that they don't sell alcohol at all. I find that really odd.
I hadn't noticed, but I don't drink much.

I wonder if they're considered too close to Salesian School.

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

MV is next door to the school and no restrictions there!