Hua Hin Supermarkets

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Re: Hua Hin Supermarkets

Post by NOKYAI »

You don’t need a card here
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

HHcolin wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:21 pm Question about Makro, do you have to have a membership card or is it the same as a normal supermarket, it would be handy for me as i'm moving near by.
They seem to prefer you to pick up a day card at the service counter just inside the door.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It looks like you can register on-line as well. Pete :cheers:

https://www.siammakro.co.th/en/register.php
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I have the Makro card but I'm not sure what Nereus means by a 'day card', it's free and it lasts for a year or forever (not sure, I don't have it in front of me). They scan it each time you go to the till. Show your passport to the front counter when you enter and they'll process it.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Ours is over 6 years old, and never had to be renewed, so I guess its indefinite.

Registration on your first visit just takes a few minutes.

If you don't have a card, the girl at the checkout always has one that she will scan.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've found on my last few visits that the cashier doesn't give that service any more. A couple of times I've left my card in the car thinking it'll be no problem as the check-out will have one. Nope. I've had to go back to the car to get it.
Incidentally, I've had my card since before the HH Makro opened and still works fine.
A friend of mine in the last week lost his card (along with his wallet). Went to a Makro in BKK where all he did was give his name which they looked up on the computer and a new card was printed out immediately. Took around 2 mins apparently.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

404cameljockey wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:25 am I have the Makro card but I'm not sure what Nereus means by a 'day card', it's free and it lasts for a year or forever (not sure, I don't have it in front of me). They scan it each time you go to the till. Show your passport to the front counter when you enter and they'll process it.
When they first opened, and not only in Hua Hin, it was stricly wholesale, and you had to prove that you had a business to obtain a card.
That followed by a period where anybody could walk in and shop without a card, which I used to do in Hua Hin. They now have a policy that reqiures a "day card", which is simply a paper slip with a code on it, which is free. But like everything else here, TIT and it will depend on the time of the month ect. It is probably more to do with their accounting system than trying to stop the riff raff from shopping. And in several of their outlets I have never been asked for my passport! Maybe it has something to do with your camel?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

My experience is a little different.
If I have my red Makro card which was issued in a personal name but as a business, no proof required of business, I can go to the check out and no passport required, never has been.
If I do not have my card I go to the desk and give my phone number, again never had to show a passport or anything else, they then give a slip which is given to the checkout
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

At Pranbury Makro, the girl just puts a line of 0’s or * and I have never had to get a day card.
Just like the banks and immigration it seems it’s different rules for each branch.
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

Prachuap branch didn't need a thing either. Girl asked me at checkout if I had a Makro pass, I said no, and that was that, she jyst scanned it all theough as usual.
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

I think the comment about showing your passport was based upon initial registration,,,,,,,,,,,and not something you have to do when enter Makro after you are issued your little red card.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

I haven't ever registered. I just went in and shopped like it was a regular shop. I will though next time.
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

If you have the card,you enter any makro throughout the country,purchase your goods and walk out the store,without any problem/hassle.
Get a Villa Market points card,,,,,,,,,,,,,again can be used throughout Thailand,and its occasionally nice to get to the check-out and be advised,your bill is being reduced by 500 baht.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Thistle wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:47 pmGet a Villa Market points card,,,,,,,,,,,,,again can be used throughout Thailand,and its occasionally nice to get to the check-out and be advised,your bill is being reduced by 500 baht.
Get them all - they all have special offers or discounts as well as a points = baht reduction when you 'cash' them in. The good thing is you don't have to carry them all with you, just use your phone number and have some ID when asked for, if cashing in points. When asked I use my driving license.

I have 1-card (TOPS, Central, M&S, Thai Watsadu and others) M-card (all Mall Group stores, so includes Bluport and Gourmet Market), VM, Makro, various chemists, Index, Boonthavorn, Svennsons (lol) and so on!
Talk is cheap
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Nereus wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:49 am
404cameljockey wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:25 am I have the Makro card but I'm not sure what Nereus means by a 'day card', it's free and it lasts for a year or forever (not sure, I don't have it in front of me). They scan it each time you go to the till. Show your passport to the front counter when you enter and they'll process it.
When they first opened, and not only in Hua Hin, it was stricly wholesale, and you had to prove that you had a business to obtain a card.
That followed by a period where anybody could walk in and shop without a card, which I used to do in Hua Hin. They now have a policy that reqiures a "day card", which is simply a paper slip with a code on it, which is free. But like everything else here, TIT and it will depend on the time of the month ect. It is probably more to do with their accounting system than trying to stop the riff raff from shopping. And in several of their outlets I have never been asked for my passport! Maybe it has something to do with your camel?
I think that was when Makro was still a Farang entity. Makro in Thailand is now Makro Thailand and it's owned by the CP group who are not likely to turn customers away regardless if they are business owners or not.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact