Demise of AWOL magazine

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Demise of AWOL magazine

Post by dtaai-maai »

europtimiste wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:17 pm It was a magazine specially for Brits. About news ! 555, ridiculous, some lines on first page. I really don't regret, wish a real magazine like in Pattaya and Phuket with real local news. But who have the guts in this shithole ?
europtimiste wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:48 pm Interesting comments, instead of being positive to make things better, you only can be negative and aggressive, typical Brit.
Is your second post describing your first...?
This is the way
robcar
Professional
Professional

Post by robcar »

There are the odd occasions when I really do feel the need for a "Like" button :thumb:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

But who have the guts in this shithole ?
Shithole! ---- Are you just passing through, sir?
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I have to say that for me, it never really amounted to much more than a vehicle for adverts, but I have kept a copy, simply as I have a list of all the places selling a Sunday roast in town! And for that, I am grateful.
Talk is cheap
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

caller wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:29 pm I have to say that for me, it never really amounted to much more than a vehicle for adverts, but I have kept a copy, simply as I have a list of all the places selling a Sunday roast in town! And for that, I am grateful.
Can you please post them

:cheers: :cheers:
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

europtimiste wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:17 pm It was a magazine specially for Brits. About news ! 555, ridiculous, some lines on first page. I really don't regret, wish a real magazine like in Pattaya and Phuket with real local news. But who have the guts in this shithole ?
When in Pattaya I loved the Pattaya Mail. Not sure if it still enjoys the same level of freedom of speech as it once did, or how it got away with it. Knowing Pattaya there could have been a few greased palms involved. However in the so called 'shithole' where you probably live the expat press has always respected the town where it is based, its' residents, and the laws governing the country they call home.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

bsdk1960 wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:32 am
caller wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:29 pm I have to say that for me, it never really amounted to much more than a vehicle for adverts, but I have kept a copy, simply as I have a list of all the places selling a Sunday roast in town! And for that, I am grateful.
Can you please post them

I just tried to access the on-line version, but it say's it's not available, I have a hard copy of an older issue somewhere......
Talk is cheap
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

no problem,I think I remember a few of them

Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

bsdk,you can still obtain a copy of the last issue from the likes of Ham & Bacon,Buffalo Tavern,Robins Rest in Khao Takiap,etc,it still gives a list of locations doing Sunday Lunches.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Thanks,i'll give it a try,maybe i'm lucky.
actully i just remembered that i got the magazine online so i just found it in my deleted mail box,if anyone is
interrested i can send it.

caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Gained access now via their archive, which took a while to show 2018.

I hope it's okay to post this here, it's just a list of names and numbers which I have simply c&p, if not apologies and no worries if removed and I have no idea how up to date this is?

andreanna’s, khao takiab
bobby’s bar, soi 102
father teds, damnoernkasem road hua hin
miss you, soi 80
ian’s restaurant, khao takiab (099 497 3040)
jungle juice, soi selekam
millers hua hin, soi 91
nany’s cafe, soi 88
nit’s kitchen, soi 94
orchid restaurant 94 soi 94
palm bistro, soi 88 (032 828144)
seajays resort, off pala-u road. 083 311 1787
sunset boulevard, khao takiab. Bookings only 084 376 9438
ye olde buffalo tavern, chomsin rd
Zab wer, soi 112

Palm Bistro is a sponsor here and is the best Sunday Roast I have had here so far.

andreanna's is now called Ritzy's and I have no idea if they still do a roast. I never see it advertised now and I was there yesterday buying my baps!

I had no idea Zab Wer did one, although that restaurant has been discussed o here recently, but I can't recall discussing a roast? Not far from me so will check that out at some stage.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No problem with that list here, but it will be lost in the mists of time. Can I suggest you start a Sunday Lunch thread in Feeding Time? People will be much more likely to there in the future.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Orchid restaurant on 94 closed a long time ago, maybe even 2 years! Gary the chef went to Mucky Duck from there and has moved on again since.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Can we get this back on to the subject of AWOL Magazine please? There are plenty of opportunities to discuss restaurant matters in Feeding Time.
:offtopic:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I'm not into Pool or darts, but wasn't AWOL a useful way of following your team and its place in its league.