Brit missing in Thailand

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Big Boy

Re: Brit missing in Thailand

Post by Big Boy »

Be honest, when you were 21, if you were having a great time in Thailand, wouldn't you have tried to get lost for a few extra weeks in paradise?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Not if it meant causing my family a load of anxiety, no...
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

He'd been away for a while - probably thought another few months wouldn't hurt.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Big Boy wrote:Be honest, when you were 21, if you were having a great time in Thailand, wouldn't you have tried to get lost for a few extra weeks in paradise?
Maybe, but I wouldn't have contacted my family to say I was in deep doodoo and would never see them again, goodbye forever.
What struck me as most odd was that there was no mention of the family contacting the Thai police. (Yes, I know, but they probably wouldn't)

I hope they all manage to have a happy Christmas...
This is the way
aldo5
Rookie
Rookie

Post by aldo5 »

Happy end, fortunately. But with the modern social media a lot of unnecessary hysteria and fuss is created. In the old days you travelled around the world for weeks and months with an occasional long distance call and that was it.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

I was involved slightly in a similar situation a few years ago with a friend of a friend's son. His dad came out and hired a private detective (at huge cost to the family) to locate him. He was found in Bangkok somewhere and carted back home. I think these young things have been listening to Hotel California a bit too much, and the reality of getting their backsides back home and earn a living is something they don't want to face.

I do feel sorry for the families of these wanderers.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
nil
Professional
Professional

Post by nil »

He was just "having a bit too much fun" to come home.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... leave.html

Idiot.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Big Boy wrote:Be honest, when you were 21, if you were having a great time in Thailand, wouldn't you have tried to get lost for a few extra weeks in paradise?
I still try it at a smidgen over twice that age - unfortunately the LHG rapidly brings me back to earth with a swift kick up the backside and a few "home truths"..... :oops:

In all seriousness, as a few have said, I sure as hell wouldn't have put my family through what he has. Not to mention, after reading the Telegraph article posted by nil, the guy comes across as a complete and utter selfish tw@t. The world has far to many of these Muppets IMO.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I'm having a deja vu episode with this one. :alien: Somewhere on here we went through the same story a year or so ago, either originating from a news article or from a post by someone looking for a wandering young relative. Turned out he was fine, and simply didn't want to go home yet. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

:oops:

I've been doing that for 18 years ... should really go back home now ...

Nah ... :dance:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

aldo5 wrote:Happy end, fortunately. But with the modern social media a lot of unnecessary hysteria and fuss is created. In the old days you travelled around the world for weeks and months with an occasional long distance call and that was it.
Exactly, when I was about that old I once forgot to tell my parents I was going to the Barents sea for three months and that never made the Daily Mail!
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Here is my grumpy read on it----- The kid needs his ass kicking and just another argument for the return of National Service.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

oakdale160 wrote:Here is my grumpy read on it----- The kid needs his ass kicking and just another argument for the return of National Service.
Totally agree with the ass kicking but I really hope that NS never returns. Discipline should come from the home/parents.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain