Ran into a Youtube celebrity at Market Village today.

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Re: Ran into a Youtube celebrity at Market Village today.

Post by jumusman »

Pleng wrote:
migrant wrote:I would think there are two main motivations to doing YouTube videos, especially a series (yes I peeked).
One would be for money, the other for the "fame". In his case, and I only looked at the screen shots, not the videos, he featured himself very prominently.

Never been one for autographs, or approaching public figures, and we see a lot here in Southern California, but by doing what this person is doing, I would think that being approached comes with the job.
I agree on every point here. Celebrity culture irritates the hell out of me, but it doesn't matter about the level of 'fame'. If you're putting yourself out in the public eye, you should expect to be recognised.

People saying 'You would expect it if you were very famous for this, but not if you're mildly famous for that' are putting their own arbitrary boundaries on what constitutes 'fame' and dictating how they personally believe people should act based on this preconception.

"you should expect to be recognised"

Expecting to be recognized, sure, no problem. Placing your hands on another person ?? Going too far...

I would grab a person's attention by saying

"Excuse me, aren't you blah blah from the blah blah channel...I enjoy watching your videos." Doesn't that make more sense ?
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Jeez.. a tap on the shoulder is hardly physical assault.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Indeed... how do you people navigate your way through crowds without occasionally tapping somebody on the shoulder and asking 'excuse me'? I swear I would be stranded in the middle of Market Village on a busy day were it not for the occasional tap here and there.

Had the OP been trying to get the guy's attention by giving him a shoulder rub then I could understand the reaction. But a tap on the shoulder? Seriously?
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

Well I think we have officially beaten this topic to death, brought it back to life and then beaten it to death again... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

If I had made some videos on youtube, then some deluded, ill-mannered tosser came up to me and started poking, tapping or prodding me while I was waiting for an ice cream, his finger would be ripped off and used in place of the flake in my 99.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

A tap on the shoulder is hardly something to get upset about, and if something so trivial upsets you, then you are one very sad and sorry individual.

Secondly, I don't think his response was due to some misconceived celebrity status, but rather because the guy spent his life as a spoiled little brat, and at this point in his life, he is in need of some good old attitude adjustment. In short, he is simply a jerk.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

GLCQuantum wrote:If I had made some videos on youtube, then some deluded, ill-mannered tosser came up to me and started poking, tapping or prodding me while I was waiting for an ice cream, his finger would be ripped off and used in place of the flake in my 99.
I suggest you don't make any youtube videos, then.

Also... poking and prodding are totally different, and far more evasive, to a tap on the shoulder and were not mentioned in the OP.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Also... poking and prodding are totally different, and far more evasive, to a tap on the shoulder and were not mentioned in the OP.
Poke: to push a finger or other pointed object quickly into someone or something.

Tap: To strike with a light blow or blows with your finger.

Prod:
to push someone or something with your finger.

They all seem pretty similar to me. Unwanted harrasment from a UFH (Unidentified Fingering Hand).
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Takiap wrote:A tap on the shoulder is hardly something to get upset about, and if something so trivial upsets you, then you are one very sad and sorry individual.

Secondly, I don't think his response was due to some misconceived celebrity status, but rather because the guy spent his life as a spoiled little brat, and at this point in his life, he is in need of some good old attitude adjustment. In short, he is simply a jerk.

:cheers:
Can't disagree there!! :thumb:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Some people simply don't like being touched - unless said touch was invited. I am one of those people. This is neither strange nor uncommon.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

If a tap on the shoulder is enough to make you consider slicing off the finger of the 'perpetrator', then I suggest that all that dope you're smoking isn't chilling you out quite as much as you seem to think.

It is understandable to not like people showing unwanted affection with random hugs (attending uni in my late 20's I got extremely peeved by the 'hug everybody we meet' mentality), it is also understandable to not want to be poked, pushed or prodded around.

It is not understandable, neither is it reasonable, to be upset when somebody taps you on the shoulder to try and get your attention because they recognise you from somewhere (and presumably wanted to take some time the time out to be appreciative of your work towards you).
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

GLCQuantum wrote:Some people simply don't like being touched - unless said touch was invited. I am one of those people. This is neither strange nor uncommon.
Yeah, it is..... depending on how (or where) it is done!! :shock:

In all seriousness and to be fair, a simple tap on the shoulder or touch on the arm is ****ing harmless - I thought you "weedies" :wink: were all into hugging and "love-ups" after all :duck:

I'll touch or tap someone on the arm (with a "sorry, excuse me, but (or maybe BUTTY being Welsh).....") on many occasion - I've not yet had an aggressive response, and would be amazed (and somewhat concerned) if I did.

With regards to the OP, the "You Tube" guy has put himself out there and is looking for the attention in my book.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Presumably if this guy runs the retirecheap website, he can't afford security guards, private island, gated community or anything of that nature, so he may as well get used to this kind of thing.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

This could have turned out quite nasty :P
Some people (like me) take ice cream eating quite seriously :D
This could have happened to the finger tapper!!
29_ML_04-294x164.jpg
29_ML_04-294x164.jpg (7.88 KiB) Viewed 929 times
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Mods: At what point are you going to step in and change the title of this thread to, 'Is Fingering a Stranger Acceptable?'

The topic title doesn't match the content anymore - it's way off topic.

:mrgreen: