Fireworks malfunction at the Hilton

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Fireworks malfunction at the Hilton

Post by JamesWest »

No one hurt Someone shot a rocket into the display and set in off
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Re: Fireworks malfunction at the Hilton

Post by Terry »

pharvey strikes again?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

lol - as soon as I'd seen who had posted, I knew what it was going to say :wink:

On a more serious note, and supporting the OP's comment, I've just come back from the beach, and saw a few fireworks let off horizontally on purpose :?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

yes the "professional" display was set up using tubes buried in the sand. I am guessing about 40 tubes loaded with rockets and a sign that said "happy new year". so some bozo comes along around 11:30 pm and fires some handheld rockets sideways and one hits the center of the tubes and sets off the entire thing at once. Many people were walking just a few feet away from the tubes when they all went off. everybody was running for cover.

Later on a lot of people were waiting for the display to start but it was aready shot.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

15yrs ago the Marriot, Sofitel, Melia, & others would fire their displays from their rooftops..great for all of HH..then they decided to bring their displays to the beach ( maybe linked to a New Yr 'Gala' meal/evening for paying 'guests')..this way the folk of Hua Hin missed out on these displays somewhat..
..so reading tonight's story about what happened my feelings are 'Som Nam Nah'..put your display back up on the rooftop..& share it with all the people of HH,& not just for those on the beach.
(Rant over)
Rone

Post by Rone »

Don't believe it was a deliberate act. We were sat by the wall about 20 ft away from the Hilton display when the incident happened. The big problem last night was the tide was coming in and the amount of free space on the beach was severely restricted. Exagerated by the room taken up by sunbeds and bar tables.
A lot of fireworks and lanterns were being set off early doors and of course as more people arrived it started to get dangerous. The actuall incident seemed to be accidental in that 3 rockets went off just to our right and close to the sea. Two of them went straight up but the third seemed to veer left without gaining height and landed towards the back of the display. This seemed to set off one firework but immediately set off a chain reaction . The luckiest guys were the staff from the Hilton who were in the middle of the display, security? When it happened. Probably the quickest the have moved in their life.
We through ourselves into the sand but of course all the rockets were in tubes and went vertical. Scary though.
Incidentally I don't remember the beach bars being open in previous years?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK, I was a fair bit South of where that happened, and fireworks were definitely being set of horizontally. It prevented me and Mrs BB walking any further South.

Points 41; Position 18
Rone

Post by Rone »

Sorry forgot to add that the offending firework was the 'box' type and the remains were retrieved by the Hilton security staff.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

I was walking past the Hilton Brewing Company with the wife about midday on a Saturday six year's ago and two kids on a motorcycle attacked me with a firework.
We we're just having a nice stroll around as we had only arrived in Hua Hin the night before and walking down Nasdarmi Road the Mrs stopped to look at a bag displayed outside of a shop. All of a sudden two kids riding on a moped the pillion let this rocket go right beside my ear, I got covered in sparks deafened and I crashed down on my knees.
Luckily I had my sunglasses on, but by the time I got back on my feet they where long gone into the distance.
That was a nasty experience, why do Thai kids think it's fun to let fireworks of horizontally it's just madness.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
jumusman
Professional
Professional

Post by jumusman »

kendo wrote:I was walking past the Hilton Brewing Company with the wife about midday on a Saturday six year's ago and two kids on a motorcycle attacked me with a firework.
We we're just having a nice stroll around as we had only arrived in Hua Hin the night before and walking down Nasdarmi Road the Mrs stopped to look at a bag displayed outside of a shop. All of a sudden two kids riding on a moped the pillion let this rocket go right beside my ear, I got covered in sparks deafened and I crashed down on my knees.
Luckily I had my sunglasses on, but by the time I got back on my feet they where long gone into the distance.
That was a nasty experience, why do Thai kids think it's fun to let fireworks of horizontally it's just madness.

I had a similar experience a few years back, walking around Binterbaht and the surrounding streets with my friends Thai kids were coming by on Motorbikes and throwing bags of rice at us, one of the bar girls said it was done because throwing a bag of rice at a falang is good luck but I think it was bullshit. One hit my friend directly in the face and he was going to run after them and knock them off the bike but we told him you don't just get in a fight with 2 Thai's but it would have been those 2 plus 5 more Motorbkie Taxi men joining in, not worth it.

I think they are just kids being kids, they don't realize the danger and that you could have lost your hearing or worse. Sorry to go off topic!! :rant: :rant:
"If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." - Albert Einstein, 1936
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Throwing bags of rice not seen that one before although at traditional weddings they will through rice and sprinkles of water.

Getting back on topic you would think that there would gave been extra security and tourist police around with all those class four explosives set up and ready to go.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Terry wrote:pharvey strikes again?
Now, now, I have a very valid alibi in that (sadly) I am several thousand miles away and the Long Haired General has not allowed me access to anything larger than a sparkler... :cry:
Big Boy wrote:On a more serious note, and supporting the OP's comment, I've just come back from the beach, and saw a few fireworks let off horizontally on purpose :?
The Long Haired General and I were in the outskirts of Bristol yesterday afternoon and witnessed 2 groups of kids (14-16 yrs old at a guess) firing rockets at each other in some act of "mini warfare"..... mind-blowing!!

Anyways, good to hear nobody was hurt at the Hilton..... Happy New Year to all.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

The Long Haired General and I were in the outskirts of Bristol yesterday afternoon and witnessed 2 groups of kids (14-16 yrs old at a guess) firing rockets at each other in some act of "mini warfare"..... mind-blowing!!
Some years ago I spent New Years Eve in Amsterdam and by midnight about one half of Holland was firing rockets at the other half across the Leidseplein. That was until a Police van arrived that received a barrage of rockets that would have raised the siege of Stalingrad, wisely they decided to reverse back to where they had come from.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

pharvey wrote:The Long Haired General and I were in the outskirts of Bristol yesterday afternoon and witnessed 2 groups of kids (14-16 yrs old at a guess) firing rockets at each other in some act of "mini warfare"..... mind-blowing!!
That was a regular occurrence in the St Pauls area when I lived in Bristol.

Points 41; Position 18
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

^^ When driving through ST Paul's the horizontal fireworks are the least of your problems. Driving at less than 30 Mph will ensure that if you had hub caps to start with, now they are gone. Stop at any traffic lights and you are in the hands of the Gods.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain