CCTV in Hua Hin

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Re: CCTV in Hua Hin

Post by richard »

Where?
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
pdm3547
Professional
Professional

Post by pdm3547 »

City centre CCTV solves nothing except displaces the same level of crime to without the coverage area. It's a well known, documented phenomenon in the UK.

What does cctv do? Has it prevented crime? No, not a bit as GLC's case shows. His ipad was still taken and it took him a good portion of time to track it down again.

CCTV isn't about safety. It's about control and revenue. Here's one of many examples: http://www.bigbrotherwatch.org.uk/home/ ... ustry.html

"If you haven't done anything wrong, you've got nothing to hide," Well, the government keeps deciding what's "wrong" without asking me, so I think I'd prefer it if they didn't keep videotapes of me doing nothing wrong by their current definition.

With you so enthusiastic about this, I'm sure you'd have no problem with me taking a video of you being intimate with your partner. After all, you haven't done anything wrong.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Ours in Fleet look something like this and were installed some 16-17 years ago. I think they're supposed to be obvious as a deterrent. People generally don't do stupid stuff when they know they have a lamppost with eyes staring at them. :D

Been down soi 80 a few times, but obviously missed them. What do they look like?

:cheers:
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

pdm,

If I was a vegetarian and decided to argue the fact that eating meat is healthier for you...then decided to strengthen my argument with a website called http://www.stopeatinganimals.com, would you take my argument seriously?
pdm3547
Professional
Professional

Post by pdm3547 »

GLCQuantum wrote:People generally don't do stupid stuff when they know they have a lamppost with eyes staring at them. :D
Really? There's a whole series of TV programmes disputing that:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/cctv ... -on-camera
pdm3547
Professional
Professional

Post by pdm3547 »

GLCQuantum wrote:pdm,

If I was a vegetarian and decided to argue the fact that eating meat is healthier for you...then decided to strengthen my argument with a website called http://www.stopeatinganimals.com, would you take my argument seriously?
Depends whether it was factually based or not. BBW is, your rhetoric isn't.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Before I have a look at the site, is there any chance, with a name like that, that it may be biased in its reporting regarding the pros and cons of having CCTV cameras in nightlife areas?

I like to get a 'balanced' view of things when I can.

ste860
Deceased
Deceased

Post by ste860 »

there are quite a few cameras all over town ,if you look the smelly market and out side el murhys theres 2 .also several along the klong road

they mainly cover the sois .whether any work or are monitored i do not know ,
pdm3547
Professional
Professional

Post by pdm3547 »

GLCQuantum wrote:Before I have a look at the site, is there any chance, with a name like that, that it may be biased in its reporting regarding the pros and cons of having CCTV cameras in nightlife areas?

I like to get a 'balanced' view of things when I can.

I think you should form your own opinion.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Smelly market?

I've not been living in Hua Hin for a while. :D
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

pdm3547 wrote: What does cctv do? Has it prevented crime? No, not a bit as GLC's case shows. His ipad was still taken and it took him a good portion of time to track it down again.
...but he did track it down. Which would most likely never have happened without CCTV.

I'm confused by your argument!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Generally, the public in the UK have supported the installation of CCTV. When I worked in Local Govt. and the local residents were canvassed about their introduction, they were always in support. It might well move crime elsewhere, but if you live in a tower block and it stops crack heads messing up your stairs, I don't suppose you'd be too bothered.
Talk is cheap
pdm3547
Professional
Professional

Post by pdm3547 »

caller wrote:Generally, the public in the UK have supported the installation of CCTV. When I worked in Local Govt. and the local residents were canvassed about their introduction, they were always in support.
I ran one of these surveys once. The questions are a little less than biased.

Now, CCTV gets installed simply on the say-so of the police. It's quite astonishing.
caller wrote:It might well move crime elsewhere, but if you live in a tower block and it stops crack heads messing up your stairs, I don't suppose you'd be too bothered.
Unless you live somewhere the crime is displaced to, of course.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

pdm3547. Wow with that many posts I guess you aren't in the Troll brigade!! But get your head out of the sand and grow one. Your argument lacks substance and is quite futile.
pdm3547
Professional
Professional

Post by pdm3547 »

HHTel wrote:pdm3547. Wow with that many posts I guess you aren't in the Troll brigade!! But get your head out of the sand and grow one. Your argument lacks substance and is quite futile.
I'm not quite sure why the number of posts I have made has any bearing on the substance of my argument.

But perhaps you could pack away the personal insults and debate properly with some fact-based arguments, and I'll be happy to engage with you then.