Changing Face of Hua Hin

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Big Boy

Changing Face of Hua Hin

Post by Big Boy »

Trawling through Facebook, I came across these before and after photos. I know this has been talked about for a long time, but artists impressions seems to be taking it one step further.
Before.jpg
After.jpg
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Changing Face of Hua Hin

Post by STEVE G »

Getting rid of all those decrepit old piers would certainly smarten the centre of town up a bit.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Unless originating from some Royal decree, you'll find all those over water places are illegal. Same as in Pattaya on Walking Street. They've been trying to get them torn down for decades there but always someone of influence delays things. To my knowledge it's illegal to build anything on the beach and over the water throughout the country. It's all government land and can't be transferred or titled.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

STEVE G wrote:Getting rid of all those decrepit old piers would certainly smarten the centre of town up a bit.
I agree 100%. When I did my recent beach walk, the beach North of the Hilton was very neglected. Opening it up with a nice prom could do a lot for Hua Hin's image.

Points 41; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I see that they've been removing structures from the beach in Phuket as well recently.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Having a meal at a restaurant on one of the piers I regard as one of the highlights of dining out in HuaHin. The cool sea breezes,looking out at the ships that are illuminated whilst enjoying a really good meal at a great price is a great attraction for me. The busy narrow streets with their numerous business leading to the bars etc of the Binta leave me in no doubt I am in a foreign land. If you sweep away the piers what's next to go?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Surely, there would be scope for dining on the prom if enough thought is put into the project. The breeze wouldn't stop at the boundary of the old piers. Such a scheme could provide plenty of opportunities for new business.

Why not extend the prom beyond the current boundary of the fishing pier? Believe me, that stretch of beach is a wasted opportunity in the middle of a holiday town. There is a lot of untapped potential there.

Points 41; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Having a meal at a restaurant on one of the piers I regard as one of the highlights of dining out in HuaHin. The cool sea breezes,looking out at the ships that are illuminated whilst enjoying a really good meal at a great price is a great attraction for me.
Those restaurants look OK in the evening but if you take a look at them in daylight, it looks like someone has just dumped a pile of rundown 1950's factories onto the beach. It would be better to perhaps have a clear beach there and one longer pier with all the restaurants on it.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Keep it as it is with all the nuts and bolts.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

During my recent visit all of the restaurants were very quiet with the exception of the pier ones. People seem to like the piers. By all means develop north of the piers but lets not throw the baby out with the bath water.
Perhaps a vote could be set up at the top of the page--- What picture do you prefer?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Another factor to consider is that with rising sea levels, those piers have been getting damaged by storms at high tides in recent years anyway, so it's perhaps better to make plans for changes now instead of just waiting for them to get washed into the sea. That second picture is a bit crude as it just shows the piers gone and the sea up to the road where as in actual fact there would have to be some sort of sea wall or whatever as a defence between the beach and the road.
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

Not to worry. Mother nature will take care of it all in due course.
A friend is only one click away
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

dundrillin wrote:Having a meal at a restaurant on one of the piers I regard as one of the highlights of dining out in HuaHin. The cool sea breezes,looking out at the ships that are illuminated whilst enjoying a really good meal at a great price is a great attraction for me. The busy narrow streets with their numerous business leading to the bars etc of the Binta leave me in no doubt I am in a foreign land. If you sweep away the piers what's next to go?
I agree, we have had many a good meal on the piers. I like the old piers, eating out in the cool breeze is lovely. I agree the daytime visual appearance is not too hot, but neither is the market. Surely there could be some sort of restoration project. Also what is the beach like?
I think if they were to have a "prom" put there HH would end up like other Thai resorts such as Pattaya. Careful planning would have to be placed, otherwise all the commercial giants such as McD's, Burger King etc would grab all the land there and it would like being in any other resort. I doubt if anyone would spend money on just a prom alone, it would come with conditions, that being of a commercial nature :?
I often note comments people make about how HH has changed in the past years. Sometimes change is not always for the better. It depends on who and what you want to attract there. Imagine the extra traffic etc.
Not for me, my vote would be no.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Some years ago, all those restaurants/shops were given a 60 day notice to quit. The idea was to open up the beach like it is in Cha-Am. The retailers/restauranters formed a delegation and took it to Bangkok to protest (There's a lot of money on that strip). In Bangkok, they got a reprieve from 60 days to 2 years. That must have been 8 or 10 years ago! Money talks!!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Enjoying a meal is one thing, but do these people have any rights anyway. If we go back to Pete's post, are these people profiteering through an illegal act?
prcscct wrote:Unless originating from some Royal decree, you'll find all those over water places are illegal. Same as in Pattaya on Walking Street. They've been trying to get them torn down for decades there but always someone of influence delays things. To my knowledge it's illegal to build anything on the beach and over the water throughout the country. It's all government land and can't be transferred or titled.
Are they freeloading without paying rent? If they are paying rent, how legal is it?

IMHO one of the major things Hua Hin lacks is an easily accessed beachfront. Since we've moved here to live, we always drive elsewhere for a day at the beach because of the lack of parking here. OK, we only live a 15 minute walk from the beach, but it is still a bit of a pain having to carry everything there and back. Many people live much further away. It's easier to jump in the car, and we can be sat on the better beach at Suan Son 10 minutes later. It would be nice to have a good option a bit closer to home. Development of the North Beach would be a definite bonus.

Points 41; Position 18